Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Efr7670 2.4l 9rs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Efr7670 2.4l 9rs

Wrapping up my 9RS project I've been building this year. Couldn't find that much on the 7670EFR when I was building so maybe this will help someone in the process. A word of warning this was not a easy plug and play set up. I wondered why I couldn't find a manifold that would fit this turbo the way I wanted it. I found out how tight it gets. Set up as follows (* indicates modifications outside the norm or I couldn't find info on)

2.4LR 10:1 motor. It's true this ratio makes pump gas timing soft to prevent knock.
*Unequal length twin scroll manifold
EFR7670 1.05AR. BW caps turbo speed at 140k. looks like that's around 31-32lbs on this set up.
*Wastegates plumbed back in to the 3in ex. I knew back pressure would be high but this seems to have not held the set up back much.
*Unported mivec head
S2 cams. Left some power on the table over the R2's but idle is like stock.
*ER modded cam gear for full range with 2.4. Made gains with the extra adjustment.
*Unported OEM intake manifold and throttle body. I think this could be a easy way to add another 30hp?
*Tube and fin intercooler. Less weight, quicker thermal recovery. IAT's never went more than 15f over ambient today.
*Ti intake tube. Better heat properties than other materials. Sealed air box helps too.
*HKS LA organic twin plate. Very quiet and stock like drivability!
*I kept the balance shafts in. Stock like NVH and clutch shifts great at "high" RPMs.
*-6an press in catch valve cover fittings to a catch can plumbed back to intake. Seems to work great.
*stock coils
*Individual o2's. This was a learning experience as one cylinder was over a full point lean vs the average under full load.
*Stock heat shield does quite a good job of controlling heat and keep the car looking like it's just a bolt on car.

This set up spools almost too quick. Drivability is better than a completely stock set up I removed. Limited low down tq a bit to prolong motor health. Plenty squirty as is for a street car. This is on 28lbs and E85 for a nice reliable tune.

The following 4 users liked this post by eflove:
Construct (Dec 24, 2019), EVO196 (Dec 24, 2019), hokiruu (Dec 26, 2019), MR ArcticC (Dec 25, 2019)
Old Dec 24, 2019, 08:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,555 Likes on 1,333 Posts
Just FYI in case you ever want to try the bigger cams, R2's have a very close to stock idle as well with mivec. The Mivec in my car hides the R2's very well.

Great numbers.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Just FYI in case you ever want to try the bigger cams, R2's have a very close to stock idle as well with mivec. The Mivec in my car hides the R2's very well.

Great numbers.
I have heard this but everyones definition of "stock like" or "good" is different. Thank you for the reassurance. Right now the mods on the car have only added to it. Nothing has in my eyes been a compromise to the drivability. I just want to enjoy that before adding new parts to the mix. I'm sure at some point I will swap to R2 cars and a intake manifold.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 315 Likes on 247 Posts
Nice work, and AC still functional! Love the DIY stuff! Curious if you swapped O2 Sensors from the one reading 1:1 AFR leaner to make sure it didn't follow the sensor? What ECU and how do you log 4 widebands?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Nice work, and AC still functional! Love the DIY stuff! Curious if you swapped O2 Sensors from the one reading 1:1 AFR leaner to make sure it didn't follow the sensor? What ECU and how do you log 4 widebands?
AC was a must for a street car in Texas. I did move the sensors around twice with the same results. Ended up being #4 that needed a big adjustment so I was not surprised. I am using a Haltech elite for tuning and logging.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 315 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by eflove
AC was a must for a street car in Texas. I did move the sensors around twice with the same results. Ended up being #4 that needed a big adjustment so I was not surprised. I am using a Haltech elite for tuning and logging.
Good to hear and interesting results. I used to run the Haltech Platinum Pro PnP, but now stock ECU on SD. However, I was considering going back to the Haltech for giggles. Wonder why the AFR is so off on that cylinder. If you have any more pics to share that would be great!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Here are a few pictures while building the car.

Temp & pressure pre and post IC, Pressure sensor mounts for oil, water, and fuel. Rad mounts to gain every mm of room.

Put mounts on the IC to retain the factory under tray.

Heat shield where the DP goes under the oil pan.

Relocated battery to the old Evap location. Fuel pumps pull power directly from this as well.

Relay and fuse box for twin pumps.

All the solutions for the JDM rear lic plate light were less than nice so this is what we came up with. Tucks the plate up nicely.

Ecu is in the stock location. This is hard mount for the WB, I/O, and USB.

The following 2 users liked this post by eflove:
MuslimEvoFreak (Jan 25, 2020), TimC909 (Dec 19, 2022)
Old Dec 24, 2019, 01:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,555 Likes on 1,333 Posts
I have heard this but everyones definition of "stock like" or "good" is different. Thank you for the reassurance. Right now the mods on the car have only added to it. Nothing has in my eyes been a compromise to the drivability. I just want to enjoy that before adding new parts to the mix. I'm sure at some point I will swap to R2 cars and a intake manifold.
I'll get an idle video next time I take the car out. How smooth they are is almost disappointing.... lol. I miss the lip I had with S2's and no mivec.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 745 Likes on 577 Posts
300tq at 3000rpm?! That seems almost too good to be true. Even tho 2.4, my smaller turbo on 2.3l was still 3200 for 300hp and made about 100hp less.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
300tq at 3000rpm?! That seems almost too good to be true. Even tho 2.4, my smaller turbo on 2.3l was still 3200 for 300hp and made about 100hp less.
I centered this build around quick Tq and to be honest over did it a bit. PS that last set of black rear arms you sent out will be going on the car soon- Jenson
Old Dec 24, 2019, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 361 Likes on 244 Posts
Build and numbers look good! Can you tell me when it makes 20psi in 3rd on the street starting around 2000? Is there any compressor surge?

Is there a dynograph at smoothing 0-3?

Would you do anything differently if you did it again? I went 10:1 but would do 9:1 for pump gas fun next time around.

Last edited by Abacus; Dec 24, 2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Abacus
Build and numbers look good! Can you tell me when it makes 20psi in 3rd on the street starting around 2000?

Would you do anything differently if you did it again? Maybe go 9:1 for some pump gas use.
I will have to look at the logs once I get back to my laptop. Things I would do differently... It would be nice if the turbo was just a tad larger as this one is just about at its speed limit. A ported intake manifold during the build so I didn’t have pull it in the car ha! This is not my daily so I would keep the compression as is. If it was my DD I would dip the compression down a bit. It’s really not bad just at peak tq on 93. You can always ramp in boost after 4K.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Abacus
Build and numbers look good! Can you tell me when it makes 20psi in 3rd on the street starting around 2000? Is there any compressor surge?

Would you do anything differently if you did it again? I went 10:1 but would do 9:1 for pump gas fun next time around.
Sorry I don't have the dyno file so I can't do anything about the smoothing numbers. I don't have a 3rd gear log below 4k but I do have a 4th. It gets to 20lbs at 3250rpm. I know it's not apples to apples but this is all I have right now. No signs of compressor surge. To be honest I used your build as the recipe for mine.I thought long and hard about a red bc of you. I changed things to fit my goals a little in the end. Thought I could squeeze a little more top end out of the EFR but turns out the turbo speed limits me.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 361 Likes on 244 Posts
Sorry I don't have the dyno file so I can't do anything about the smoothing numbers. I don't have a 3rd gear log below 4k but I do have a 4th. It gets to 20lbs at 3250rpm. I know it's not apples to apples but this is all I have right now. No signs of compressor surge. To be honest I used your build as the recipe for mine.I thought long and hard about a red bc of you. I changed things to fit my goals a little in the end. Thought I could squeeze a little more top end out of the EFR but turns out the turbo speed limits me.
No worries ,If you ever get the chance on the street I would be interested in the data . It looks like a fantastic combination. Any videos of the car?

Thank you Sir. I tried to be as detailed as I could be and help the community.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 144 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
R/T Ernie saw 300tq around 3250RPM on a 2.2 in 4th: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sh-racing.html

Scale for 2.4 vs 2.2 displacement and 3000RPM sounds about right. Would be interesting to see a boost plot of a 2nd or 3rd gear pull on the street.

Must be fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Efr7670 2.4l 9rs