Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Doing a stereo installation for a friend

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2006, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ btw... i'm drooling over that Eclipse AVN7000.....

(hope you got a nice alarm... j/k)
Old May 17, 2006, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
^^^ you must not like good sound. Or are deaf. lol. j/k.
Not quite, my other hobby is music, for lack of a better expression, I'm an audiophile. I have a dedicated music room, blah, blah, blah. But, when I'm in my Evo, the sounds that the car makes are "music" to my ears. I only have the raidio on for "background" music. I just like listening to all the sounds "music" that the car makes.

m~
Old May 17, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

I've done dozens of sound system installs over the years and had a question. What do the pro's use to get speaker wire though that soft ribbed (for her pleasure) rubber gasket which connects the door to the cabin? This evo was the biggest b*tch running wires through it compared to anything i've worked on. I ended up using a bent to shape coat hanger with the wire securely taped to the back end so i can pull it though. I was using 16ga speaker wire from fosgate.
We use wire pullers, which is basically the same thing you used, a coat hanger. Except our wire pullers are flexible, but stiff just like a coat hanger with rubber shielding on it, so we do not scratch a customers car. Running wires through the boot on the door isn't too bad, the 0 gauge through the factory grommet and taking the fender off was worse. Taking the door off the hinges also makes the job easier, but i am glad you got it to work.
Old May 17, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ btw... i'm drooling over that Eclipse AVN7000.....

(hope you got a nice alarm... j/k)
And yes, the avn7000 is badass, i decided i loved it so much, i am going to do that in mine. And, i of course have the same alarm being installed in the silver evo. Remstart, alarm, keyless, turbo timer, can't beat that combo.
Old May 17, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

You're doing a false floor in that silver evo? If this evo was my own, and I was putting in all this equipment, I'd either go that route, or put the sub and amps side by side, w/ a window in the sub box, and stack the PDXs. I did a false floor in my 4Runner and I really like the convenience. But I'm not getting paid for this installation, so I'm going the most painless route where ever I can And if it was my car, I'd just do what macster did. All this equipment adds too much weight.

For the door boots, if possible, I pop one side of the boot off, either off the door or off the frame, and then do the wire hanger thing. Then I pop the boot back on. It makes things a lot easier to have one side free.
Old May 17, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Mr. Cole I see that was in a Circuit City bay. I work in the roadshop at Circuit City in columbia, SC. You should submit your evo pics to go on ccroadshop.com.

I would love so see some final pics from you guys with these big stereo install jobs. Please post pics when you can.
Old May 17, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by macster
Not quite, my other hobby is music, for lack of a better expression, I'm an audiophile. I have a dedicated music room, blah, blah, blah. But, when I'm in my Evo, the sounds that the car makes are "music" to my ears. I only have the raidio on for "background" music. I just like listening to all the sounds "music" that the car makes.

m~
I can see what you mean. I just start going nuts after a while when sitting in LA traffic listening to my engine idle.

We use wire pullers, which is basically the same thing you used, a coat hanger. Except our wire pullers are flexible, but stiff just like a coat hanger with rubber shielding on it, so we do not scratch a customers car. Running wires through the boot on the door isn't too bad, the 0 gauge through the factory grommet and taking the fender off was worse. Taking the door off the hinges also makes the job easier, but i am glad you got it to work.
I only ran 4 gauge to my two amplifiers and that size power cable was a b*tch to get through the gromet and fender area. I can't imagine tryint to get 0ga through there. I also left the fender and wheel on when i did the job. Which probably made things a little harder.

And yes, the avn7000 is badass, i decided i loved it so much, i am going to do that in mine. And, i of course have the same alarm being installed in the silver evo. Remstart, alarm, keyless, turbo timer, can't beat that combo.
I'm looking at going with something like the AVN7000 later this year after i get some performance mods going.

As for alarm systems, i'm looking into one right now. Not certain which i want. I've currently got lojack and their early recovery system which contacts you in up to 5 ways (cell, home, email, pager, etc) if your car is physically moved. I need to get an alarm to help prevent that from happening.
Old May 17, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

My friend is also looking for an alarm (and he should to protect all this stuff he has me cramming into this car). Any recommendations?

It'd be cool if there was an alarm that could somehow interface w/ the computer, although I don't think he would really care about that. I would though
Old May 17, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SteveosEvo
Mr. Cole I see that was in a Circuit City bay. I work in the roadshop at Circuit City in columbia, SC. You should submit your evo pics to go on ccroadshop.com.

I would love so see some final pics from you guys with these big stereo install jobs. Please post pics when you can.
The car is actually our demo car for the show room Ask your DM if you guys can do something similar. Good eye on the roadshop, i figured someone had to pick up on it. We are picky on what we submit, we see alot of "stupid" things on ccroadshop. Like in dash's and stuff, kind of basic, it has to be something really good for us to submit it.

As for the alarms, i'd personally go with any DEI product except hornet or valet or some of the low end systems, as their functionality lacks. Python, Viper, Clifford G5, are all nice systems made by one vendor.

PM me for specifics on recommendations and what not.
Old May 17, 2006, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

nice work, where are you going to put the screen if the radio is relocated to the lower din and still retain HVAC controls?
Old May 18, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by onesicklambo
nice work, where are you going to put the screen if the radio is relocated to the lower din and still retain HVAC controls?
The Touch Screen Monitor will be in the stock head unit location and the head unit will be in the cd changer or radio relocation din under the HVAC. The Screen will display the VGA input of the carputer and will also be a video display for the head unit's DVD functions.
Old May 18, 2006, 03:04 AM

About that alarm, does anyone know much about the compustar 2WSS-AS (alarm with remote start). http://www.compustar.com/security_with_remote_start.htm

I've been trying to do a lot of research on 2 way paging car alarms and came across it, but I honestly know nothing of car alarms and was wondering what other options I had available to me. Any info on car alarms would definitely help me and my baby.

Thanks in Advance,
George
Old May 18, 2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by MRCole
The car is actually our demo car for the show room
Damn, I wish the CCs in my area had real demo cars like that! That is a sweet setup you have in your trunk and I enjoyed looking at the pictures of your install. I cant wait to see the finished product; keep us informed!

George
Old May 18, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Give him a hand everybody! If I'm correct, GVO VIII is the owner of the evo I'm working on!
I was wondering how he knew how the LCD and headunit were going to be wired up... The screen is a single-din, flip up unit from Xenarc.

If evo owners don't have any specific preference to a certain alarm, George, I'd get one of these Viper alarms http://www.directed.com/security/vip..._responder.asp

I haven't really had any problems with my 550ESP in the years I've had it, and they make really good alarms.

Do any of you have remote start installed on your evos? If so, what safety mechanisms do you have in place to prevent an unsafe start?

I've heard of people installing remote starts on stick shift cars, but it's still dangerous. You need to get in the habit of never leaving your car in gear when you park it, and you need to remember to always set the e-brake. I've heard of cars that went through plate glass windows of stores, drove out into the middle of the street and t-boning some car passing by, smashed into parked cars, etc etc. I personally know of a person who's Prelude continually smashed into their garage door over and over until she realized what was happening. People have rigged custom switches, reed magnets, etc to the stick shift to ensure that the car is in neutral before attempting to remote start, but the switches quickly fail after the hundreds or thousands of shifts done per day while driving.

Last edited by jdub765; May 18, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

all of the remote start alarms available from www.blackwidowsecurity.com are able to start the car without it being in gear. It basically has a sequence you go through. When you turn the key off, the car stays running until you Open your door, and then close the door. Once you close the door the car turns off. This allows the alarm to know the car was able to idle and the passangers have left the cabin. At this point you can remote start the car...... If you open the car to get something out, and you don't repeate the sequence it will not start.

TJ

Quick Reply: Doing a stereo installation for a friend