Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are also some weights that I have collected over the past year. Some of these weights have been recorded before, for other items I have never seen their weight posted so here is a list.

Code:
Sparco Evo	        17.55
Aluminum Side Mount	2.46
Sparco Base Mount	4.96
Rear Seat Bottom	10.14
Rear Sear Top	        14.99
Rear Seat New Carpet	1.76
Stock Wheel/Tire	45.19
Rear Seat belts	        7.41
Rear Sound Deadening Mats	3.13
Baer Rear Rotors	11.66
Stock Rear Rotors	14.99
Baer Front Rotor	15.80
Stock Front Rotor	22.00
Rear Floor Matts	1.42
Stock Front Seat (w/ belt clip)	39.24
Magnaflow Muffler	13.06
Stock Rim	        20.17
Enkei RPF-1	        15.85
Megan Coilovers 	42.00
Stock Suspension	64.60
Old Oct 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Another one to add to the weight list.

Both complete backing plates with complete emergency brake assembly and cables, 10 pounds, this is for both sides complete. Surprisingly light.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

David -

Thanks for the info, never seen the weight of the parking brake before.

That is pretty light.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

to remove the AC compressor, do I need a new serprntine belt.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
EvoIXMR - any update on the total weight saving switching to manual windows?
Did you also get the manual window door cards?

I have heard that the power window motors only weigh a small bit more than the manual windows but I have never seen an actual weight figure.
Hey - sorry for the late response. I have been cranking away on the car. The modded harness is back in and all works except for e-brake light. It dims but doesnt go off. I am wondering if its my pads. I will need to look at it more.

So, I didnt get a chance to weigh the motors, but the package I sent out to the guy I swapped everything for weighed 28 pounds more than the package he sent me. Includes all 4 RS door cards, crank handles and regulators. I sent him 4 SSL panels, regulators, all switches and wiring harnesses. Hope that helps some - not very scientific

What are the backing plates Dave mentioned? Can I leave e-brake handle on and eliminate these backing plates. I will keep e-brake for sure, obviously - but if these plates are unnecessary, I will dump them.

I need to order AMS moustache eliminator and buschur front brace to drop some more weight!
Old Oct 18, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, you need a different serpentine belt, we stock them.

The backing plate can't be eliminated unless you loose the parking brake too.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

I used MN158795... kind of expensive but it's a sure fit on my 03 evo no ac.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

David - In my attempt to shed weight I was on your site trying to purchase a light weight radiator fan but could not find the weights.
What is the lightest fan you sell that could be run on the stock radiator? How much does it weigh?
I live in NJ, just to give you an idea of what kind of temps the car will see.

Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Hey - sorry for the late response. I have been cranking away on the car. The modded harness is back in and all works except for e-brake light. It dims but doesnt go off. I am wondering if its my pads. I will need to look at it more.

So, I didnt get a chance to weigh the motors, but the package I sent out to the guy I swapped everything for weighed 28 pounds more than the package he sent me. Includes all 4 RS door cards, crank handles and regulators. I sent him 4 SSL panels, regulators, all switches and wiring harnesses. Hope that helps some - not very scientific

What are the backing plates Dave mentioned? Can I leave e-brake handle on and eliminate these backing plates. I will keep e-brake for sure, obviously - but if these plates are unnecessary, I will dump them.

I need to order AMS moustache eliminator and buschur front brace to drop some more weight!
hmm 28 lbs seems very high. I have heard that the difference is surprisingly small. People say the window motors weigh very little. Maybe the SSL door cards are super heavy?

Based on how they felt when you did the swap, how much lighter did the RS windows feel compared to the powered ones. This is ignoring the weight of the door cards and just comparing the actual window hardware.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

hmm 28 lbs seems very high. I have heard that the difference is surprisingly small. People say the window motors weigh very little. Maybe the SSL door cards are super heavy?

Based on how they felt when you did the swap, how much lighter did the RS windows feel compared to the powered ones. This is ignoring the weight of the door cards and just comparing the actual window hardware.
Yeah, the wiring harness is heavy though, I had all four harnesses and the control switches with all the wiring. I mean the part that includes the rubber door inserts etc etc - so, I am thinking thats why.

Yes, panels are defnitely heavier. SSL has this puffy leather insert dealie. The RS panels are skinnier and much cheaper looking
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm interesting. I had not thought about the weight of the wiring harness going into all the door. I am guessing you replaced the power locks with RS locks as well?

I can't decide if I should do RS windows and door lock also. I think that without AC, crank windows would be double sucky. Right now if it is hot I can put down all my windows and get some air, can't do that with crank windows.

Last edited by dudical26; Oct 18, 2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm interesting. I had not thought about the weight of the wiring harness going into all the door. I am guessing you replaced the power locks with RS locks as well?

I can't decide if I should do RS windows and door lock also. I think that without AC, crank windows would be double sucky. Right now if it is hot I can put down all my windows and get some air, can't do that with crank windows.
True - without AC, that would suck. I kept AC for that reason.

Also, I eliminated the door open signal sensors since I thought they were useless.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
True - without AC, that would suck. I kept AC for that reason.

Also, I eliminated the door open signal sensors since I thought they were useless.
yea the door open sensors are a pain in the ***, I hate the door ding. Although I can't imagine the door sensors weighed more than 1/2 lb for all four.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

David - In my attempt to shed weight I was on your site trying to purchase a light weight radiator fan but could not find the weights.
What is the lightest fan you sell that could be run on the stock radiator? How much does it weigh?
I live in NJ, just to give you an idea of what kind of temps the car will see.

Thanks a lot.
bump for info from DB.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

We have a 12" fan we use in all our turbo kits. Not sure if it is listed or not by itself on our site. I am going to guess the weight as I am not at the shop, 4 pounds.

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!