Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took out he headliner and yesterday. I left the visors and the oh shi*t handle on the passenger side so that the girl could get in and out of my car. This should have taken 5ish lbs off the roof and reduce body roll.

I was at 3160lbs. with a full tank, I am hoping that with the recent weight reductions I am around 3110-3120lbs full tank. Need money for exahust to drop it down to sub 3100!
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Guys are not playing , I took out my LCD clock that's good for about 20 grams
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oneguy
I took out he headliner and yesterday. I left the visors and the oh shi*t handle on the passenger side so that the girl could get in and out of my car. This should have taken 5ish lbs off the roof and reduce body roll.

I was at 3160lbs. with a full tank, I am hoping that with the recent weight reductions I am around 3110-3120lbs full tank. Need money for exahust to drop it down to sub 3100!

Thats scary, Fred. You and I are close in what we have done - I am hoping for 2900 lbs, I doubt that is ever going to happen without crazy carbon.

I'd love a greddy Ti - thats some serious weight to drop. I think I will run exhaustless!
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah man I know its nuts, but I get bored and I like performaing auto surgery... Plus I kinda like looking at the stuff underneath the plastic trim. Its basic and purposeful. And really i have no one I am trying to impess with my car and since everything I have done so far is reversible I might as well make it the way I want it. My initial goal is 3000 which i think is doable.

What do you have left in you car? I figure that is a shorter list for us weight ****** than what we have taken out. I think you could get 2900 w/o a roll cage. Robispec sells rear door shells for 1200 which take off 110 lbs. I imagine to take off that much weight with just the 2 doors they are just shells which can be had for only 650 from drlivelinestore.com (http://premiersitedesigns.com/drivel...products_id=56)

You can use dzus fasteners like in the AMS pics below or you can make a brackets so it can be attached via a hinge and then use dzus or some other fastener (maybe something you can lock) to attach the non hinged side. AMS threw some lexan in the window area of theair skin b/c I beleive their skin came directly off a an OEM door but don't quote me on that. Or you could go the HKS evo route and leave teh fiberglass where the wind is suppose to be and paint or decal over it. These options may not look as cool as the seibon CF doors but I would magine they are light since its way less material and considerably cheaper too!
Attached Thumbnails Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-20815tattoo-dzus-door1.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-72868tattoo-dzus-door2.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-51774tattoo-dzus-door.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-8695tattoo-dzus-door3.jpg  
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ I often stop and take the time to think if a car like that actually began life sitting at a dealership with a nice NEW sticker on it, paint and all. LOL.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Fred - Is that 650 or both doors?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

KC - I would assume so because in the title and the desription the word panel has an "s" at the end but I would call and ask. For people with cages already in their cars this would help them recover from the weight increase of the cage quite nicely. You have a cage in your car yet?

I'm thinknig next project is gonig to me removing the rear door cars and replacing them with a thin aluminum sheetandoized black(http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=2&top_cat=60). Don't know the price of anodizing so if that is cost prohibitive may just paint it or leave it the natural aluminum color. For the 24 GA 6061 aluminum you could do the job for $60 worth of metal.

Last edited by oneguy; Jan 31, 2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

so t he carbon rear doors remove 110 pounds...? do the front doors remove the same ammount?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

oh ok sorry guys..i see now..that is just a shell. do you guys know how much front and rear carbon doors will remove? And which carbon doors they are reffering too.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

KC - I would assume so because in the title and the desription the word panel has an "s" at the end but I would call and ask. For people with cages already in their cars this would help them recover from the weight increase of the cage quite nicely. You have a cage in your car yet?

I'm thinknig next project is gonig to me removing the rear door cars and replacing them with a thin aluminum sheetandoized black(http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=2&top_cat=60). Don't know the price of anodizing so if that is cost prohibitive may just paint it or leave it the natural aluminum color. For the 24 GA 6061 aluminum you could do the job for $60 worth of metal.
Autopower 4 point is what I will run. Thats 70 lbs more per the shipping manifesto and that sucka is heavy moving it around the garage!

I run no interior door panels whatsoever - I switched to RS manual everything and just use the handle to roll the window up and down and put it away -
Car won't move for a while. Diff is at TRE, all the suspension is out for whiteline upgrades!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wartownracer
oh ok sorry guys..i see now..that is just a shell. do you guys know how much front and rear carbon doors will remove? And which carbon doors they are reffering too.
seibon - just search - you'll find them!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I heard the hand crank stuff is a little heavier than electric motor is that true? I cant remember in your post about your electric to manual conversion if you commented on the weight difference. That autopower must have pretty thick walls for it to be 70lbs. and a 4pt. The OMP cage(http://www.ompracing.it/motore/rollbar/ab106252a.zip) is 95 lbs and has an intricate structure.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

I heard the hand crank stuff is a little heavier than electric motor is that true? I cant remember in your post about your electric to manual conversion if you commented on the weight difference. That autopower must have pretty thick walls for it to be 70lbs. and a 4pt. The OMP cage(http://www.ompracing.it/motore/rollbar/ab106252a.zip) is 95 lbs and has an intricate structure.
I cannot see how its heavier - there is no motor on the assembly! Plus, the wiring is added weight! The package I sent to the guy I traded with was heavier than the package he sent me! I did the swap in a hurry, sorry!

The invoice said 67 lbs and its a cage just taped up, no boxing!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i have been thinking of swapping my rear windor and wiper for a lancer one. they dont have the wiper hole. idk though.

this thread though needs a good update
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:09 PM
Account Disabled

RS rear glass.

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!