Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since we are all crazy about weight reduction in this thread I wanted to ask you guys a question. How much sh*t do you get for pulling weight out of you car. A couple of my friends think its a great idea and love what I have done. Others think I am crazy and constantly give me the "how much could that possibly weigh" question.

It seems like half of the threads on the board about weight reduction turn into people trying to argue how its stupid and pointless. Do you get the same comments in real life?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Dudi - I get ridiculed for doing this to the Evo, but I point at the crappy dash and go - "this looks like the interior of a neon don't it? Yeah, thats what I thought!"

Last night, I took off the sound deadening in front of the shifter console under the dash almost. It was one patch left. I got asked that same question saying how much could it weigh and to leave it - and I was like "screw this, its coming off". I also unbolted a bracket there and removed it since I am running no console. I drilled out the spare tire cup and brackets in the trunk to lose weight...lo. In the end, it all adds up.

I also get asked why I would convert a car with leather, stereo, sunroof and sub into a racer with a cage, 2 seats, crank windows and no power locks, keyless etc.

We all have our vices, things we do. This is mine.

PS - that heat shield under the shifter console didnt weigh much - maybe 2 lbs, but its gone. I also finally hunted downa greddy Ti....booyah.

Oh. - there is another shield sorta thing left which is bolted from inside the body, maybe? I left that in coz shifter etc bolts into it, maybe?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I recall the Apexi N1's being around 34 pounds. I have posted it somewhere on EVOm before. Isn't there a weight thread somewhere else? I just searched our site and didn't see it.

If you do the weight reduction carefully you can end up with a super light car without is showing. The only part of my car that is ever questioned is the small radiator. The reality is, it works kick *** and is more than enough to cool the car, but it does raise the most questions.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I recall the Apexi N1's being around 34 pounds. I have posted it somewhere on EVOm before. Isn't there a weight thread somewhere else? I just searched our site and didn't see it.

If you do the weight reduction carefully you can end up with a super light car without is showing. The only part of my car that is ever questioned is the small radiator. The reality is, it works kick *** and is more than enough to cool the car, but it does raise the most questions.
Dave or anyone else who owns Apexi coilovers

How are you Apexi coilovers holding up? I was told that they are real harsh and that they are the lowest quality coilover you can buy....

true false?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Rumor is that apexis and megans are made in the same place - kinda like marlboro and parliments ciggs. Yes, I have the megans. I called them meghaaans to make em sound more classy...LOL
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, I'd certainly like to think with all the options we have to sell and use that I wouldn't use the lowest quality stuff out there. I'd guess since I like the Apexi N1's so much, we've probably sold as many as anyone. I've not had a single problem with one of them. Nothing broken, nothing leaking.

I sent the coilovers to Indy EVO a year or so ago for him to test for me, after hearing the same rumors. My problem with the rumors I kept hearing were how well they were actually working out for us and our customers. Indy put the shocks on his shock dyno and the springs on his spring tester. The springs did sag a touch and had a slight variance. The shock themselves tested very well. I believe Indy's opinion was they were a great club type racing set up and he was amazed you could buy something of that quality for the price. Maybe he will chime in here and give some better details.

Our black drag car, up until this spring, has always run only the Apexi's. My RS is running them and has done well at more than just drag events. I have guys who run them winning large autocross events as well, Trevor Jones being one of the winningest.

The Megans and the Apexi's are built in the same factory. So is the Endeavor, Galant and the Eclipse........all different products.

As for the weights. I dug out my notes.

The stock complete spring/strut assembly off my EVO8 RS weighed 64.9 pounds.

The complete Apexi spring/strut assembly weighed 34 pounds.

The complete Megan racing coil over weighs more at 42 pounds.

The Tein double adjustable aluminum coil overs weigh 46 pounds.

The HKS Hypermax weighs 46.8 pounds.

The 50 mm DSM weighs in at 58.2 pounds.

The Tein Super Streets weigh in at 52 pounds.

I'm a weight fanatic. I have a few notes
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Well, I'd certainly like to think with all the options we have to sell and use that I wouldn't use the lowest quality stuff out there. I'd guess since I like the Apexi N1's so much, we've probably sold as many as anyone. I've not had a single problem with one of them. Nothing broken, nothing leaking.

I sent the coilovers to Indy EVO a year or so ago for him to test for me, after hearing the same rumors. My problem with the rumors I kept hearing were how well they were actually working out for us and our customers. Indy put the shocks on his shock dyno and the springs on his spring tester. The springs did sag a touch and had a slight variance. The shock themselves tested very well. I believe Indy's opinion was they were a great club type racing set up and he was amazed you could buy something of that quality for the price. Maybe he will chime in here and give some better details.

Our black drag car, up until this spring, has always run only the Apexi's. My RS is running them and has done well at more than just drag events. I have guys who run them winning large autocross events as well, Trevor Jones being one of the winningest.

The Megans and the Apexi's are built in the same factory. So is the Endeavor, Galant and the Eclipse........all different products.

As for the weights. I dug out my notes.

The stock complete spring/strut assembly off my EVO8 RS weighed 64.9 pounds.

The complete Apexi spring/strut assembly weighed 34 pounds.

The complete Megan racing coil over weighs more at 42 pounds.

The Tein double adjustable aluminum coil overs weigh 46 pounds.

The HKS Hypermax weighs 46.8 pounds.

The 50 mm DSM weighs in at 58.2 pounds.

The Tein Super Streets weigh in at 52 pounds.

I'm a weight fanatic. I have a few notes

Wow Dave....thanks for your time in answering my questions as always...

I also like the fact that you take good notes ;-)
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Wow Dave....thanks for your time in answering my questions as always...

I also like the fact that you take good notes ;-)
agreed thats great info. Any one have any opinions of the HKS or the apexi systems? David, your opinions on those systems?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

I ran the Apex-I N1 coilovers in my NASA TTS Evo for two years with zero/none/0 issues........I even changed the spring rates to 550 in the front and 650 in the rear. (That would be 300in/lb over what they come with in the rear, 100 in the front))

The car was very fast on the track and I was able to get grab numerous first place finishes in the OH/IN (now Great Lakes region) (one second with the car overheating on a blown head gasket )

I pulled the car off the track for this season and sold them to a friend that daily drives them on Michigan Roads (read: the worst in the country!) He says they ride better than his stock strut/lower spring combo.

For the price I highly recommend them!

Matt
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dropspeed
I ran the Apex-I N1 coilovers in my NASA TTS Evo for two years with zero/none/0 issues........I even changed the spring rates to 550 in the front and 650 in the rear. (That would be 300in/lb over what they come with in the rear, 100 in the front))

The car was very fast on the track and I was able to get grab numerous first place finishes in the OH/IN (now Great Lakes region) (one second with the car overheating on a blown head gasket )

I pulled the car off the track for this season and sold them to a friend that daily drives them on Michigan Roads (read: the worst in the country!) He says they ride better than his stock strut/lower spring combo.

For the price I highly recommend them!

Matt

How did the car ride with the springs that come with the Apexi coilovers?

I wonder how the HKS Hipermax 3's are?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

ok so ive gutted everything out of the car that I could. Next step is the dash/HVAC system. Anyone have a write up on how to remove these pieces? I am thinking of keeping the top of the dash but I am just going to install a flat AL or other metal/plastic flat piece to mount all guages/flip switches on. Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Got my car weighed during tech inspection for PPIHC. The car was 3025 with full CustomCages FIA step3 T45 cromoly cage and full tank of gas. Details of build can be found in my signature under PPIHC build. Seems to me that a fully stripped daily driver (i.e. no cage) should easily be able to get to 2900.

Basically my car was torn down to bare frame, and if it wasn't needed, it wasn't re-installed. I didn't go thru the entire wiring harness and pull all unnecessary wires, but I did pull the ones for stereo, power windows & locks, door buzzer, etc. The car also has upgraded (heavier) FMIC, radiator, and Ohlins rally shocks/struts and 50+lbs of full kevlar underbody protection.

Dave
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Got my car weighed during tech inspection for PPIHC. The car was 3025 with full CustomCages FIA step3 T45 cromoly cage and full tank of gas. Details of build can be found in my signature under PPIHC build. Seems to me that a fully stripped daily driver (i.e. no cage) should easily be able to get to 2900.

Basically my car was torn down to bare frame, and if it wasn't needed, it wasn't re-installed. I didn't go thru the entire wiring harness and pull all unnecessary wires, but I did pull the ones for stereo, power windows & locks, door buzzer, etc. The car also has upgraded (heavier) FMIC, radiator, and Ohlins rally shocks/struts and 50+lbs of full kevlar underbody protection.

Dave
Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

I finally weighed my car today!

it was roughly 3050 with stock rear/front seats in with me in the car.

With only the stock drivers seat and me out of the car it weighed in at 2830lbs. Another 10-20lbs would come off if I stuck my race seat in.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

very nice... have you guys noticed an increase in gas mileage? not that I intend to strip weight out for that purpose, just curious

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!