Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justchil
I finally weighed my car today!

it was roughly 3050 with stock rear/front seats in with me in the car.

With only the stock drivers seat and me out of the car it weighed in at 2830lbs. Another 10-20lbs would come off if I stuck my race seat in.
Just saw this post now, thats pretty light.

Last time I weighed my car with about 2 gallons of gas it was 2850 without me in the car. I have done a couple more things and I would bet that I am right about 2835 or so.

From the numbers you listed above it sound like you are a bigger guy. I am tiny at only 150 so I'm under 3000 with me in the car, but just barely.

I used to weigh 140 when I first got the Evo.....o well, lol.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is getting closer to completion and should sit on the ground within the next month or so. I should be able to report the weight once I get it corner-balanced....
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Mine is getting closer to completion and should sit on the ground within the next month or so. I should be able to report the weight once I get it corner-balanced....
Corner balancing an Evo with weigh reduction is always so dissapointing, the car is so freakin nose heavy. And it gets worse the more weight you take out. It seems like most of the heavy parts on the car that can come off are towards the back.

I forget exactly what my front/rear ratio was when I had mine set up but it was at least 5% or more worse than stock.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Corner balancing an Evo with weigh reduction is always so dissapointing, the car is so freakin nose heavy. And it gets worse the more weight you take out. It seems like most of the heavy parts on the car that can come off are towards the back.

I forget exactly what my front/rear ratio was when I had mine set up but it was at least 5% or more worse than stock.
I know what you mean, dudi. I pulled all AC out, big battery, bumper support, battery, emissions etc out, but I also added new fenders, APR stuff, catch cans, lightweight brace, bigger FMIC, steel piping etc, so I am sure I added some or all back

Oh well, did the best I could, I guess.....
Old Aug 28, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

I know what you mean, dudi. I pulled all AC out, big battery, bumper support, battery, emissions etc out, but I also added new fenders, APR stuff, catch cans, lightweight brace, bigger FMIC, steel piping etc, so I am sure I added some or all back

Oh well, did the best I could, I guess.....
Yea exactly. The heaver FMIC really thows the balance off bad. It is usualy around 20lbs heavier than stock and it is literally hanging of the front end of the car.

Battery relocation to the trunk might help, although when the battery weighs less than 10lbs (or a lot less in my case, 3lbs) then whats the point of laying down 3-4 lbs worth of cable just to move 10 lbs around the car.
A fuel cell in the trunk would help a bit too.

If you saw when AMS did their TA-2 car, they put the driver seat like halfway back in the cabin. They said it was to improve the weight balance.

It frustrating too when you see for example a CF trunk and hood, and the hood only saves a couple lbs at most but the trunk sheds like 20lbs including the spoiler.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I have a carbon hood and trunk. APR spoiler, APR rear diffuser, etc etc - so I am adding weight back on. Oh well, someone needs to identify a rudimentary 4b11 swap into one of these...ha ha. That aluminium block should weigh less, I would think. I am increasing track in front to prevent understeer with spacers and big wheels. Its a TA/Auto-x car, so whatever will be, will be!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I have a carbon hood and trunk. APR spoiler, APR rear diffuser, etc etc - so I am adding weight back on. Oh well, someone needs to identify a rudimentary 4b11 swap into one of these...ha ha. That aluminium block should weigh less, I would think. I am increasing track in front to prevent understeer with spacers and big wheels. Its a TA/Auto-x car, so whatever will be, will be!
yea I guess its easy to get caught up in the details. But regardless of weight distribution, these cars seem to perform amazingly well when set up properly.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

What a great thread I loved every post as I'm just another weight ***** indeed! Without me and the 4 pt cage it weighed 2900, can't wait to 2700 is my dream!! It's just the front will remain heavy until the transplant of a lighter block n tranny goes in. Unfortunately AWD cars are heavy but this one is loads of fun!!!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RABYRAB
What a great thread I loved every post as I'm just another weight ***** indeed! Without me and the 4 pt cage it weighed 2900, can't wait to 2700 is my dream!! It's just the front will remain heavy until the transplant of a lighter block n tranny goes in. Unfortunately AWD cars are heavy but this one is loads of fun!!!

lighter block and trans????? explain to me plz??
Old Sep 3, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

good thread
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:48 AM

Keep it going !!!!!
Subscribed
Old Oct 8, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome thread guys. My baby is going on a diet this year since its cheaper to take free parts OFF my car to help my 1/4 mile times than it is to BUY performance parts to achieve the same goal.

Has anyone :cough:dudical26:cough: done weight reduction with the same HP mods and have any before and after 1/4 mile data? Old school rule of thumb was always "lose 100 lbs, shave a tenth off your 1/4 mile time". Just wondered how well that holds up here.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Oct 8, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

I think that rule is pretty accurate. I have never done back to back runs at the track with only weight reduction in between. I had always changed some power mods at the same time.

However, I can say that I had a friend with a very similarly modded evo. I tuned his car as well as mine and I feel they made similar HP. He was full weight and I weigh 3000lbs with me in the car track weight....so about 350lbs less than stock. I would consistently run .3 - .4 faster than him in the 1/4.

Another noticable difference, was off boost performance and even turn in, or corner entry. My car feels much more responsive to off boost throttle and turn in is much more immediate. With his car it feels like there is a slight delay between turning the wheel and feeling the car transfer weight and load up. With that being said, without an alignment, the car gets VERY tail happy when you pull out a lot of weight.

Weight reduction is something I would suggest to everyone as it's free in most instances, and it improves straight line speed, braking, turning, and even MPG.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

double post
Old Oct 12, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are a few things folks PM'd me about in my reaching 2320lbs in Sep 2008 after 3 months of work building an F-Prepared autocross car. I've added pictures of each item so you can relate it to the description. All weights were done on a digital bathroom scale about 10 times each, so they should be correct +/- a pound.

Fuel tank (empty): 39 lbs
Filler neck: 7 lbs
Evaporator cannister: 9 lbs
Dashboard w/passenger air bag: 28 lbs
Heater core: 10 lbs
Blower motor assy: 5.5 lbs

Hope this helps.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-fuel-tank.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-filler-neck.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-evaporator.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-dash-w_airbag.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-heater-core.jpg  

Last edited by Evo8RA; Oct 12, 2008 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!