Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a picture of the blower motor and 15lb, 16x10" wheels. Also are a few pictures of the 4 gallon aluminum fuel cell that weighs about 10lbs. I should also add that the hood weighs 5 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-blower-motor.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-wheels_16x10.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-fuel-cell1.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-fuel-cell2.jpg   Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-fuel-cell3.jpg  

Last edited by Evo8RA; Oct 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your 16x10 clears stock brembos? Interesting....
Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
your 16x10 clears stock brembos? Interesting....
No stock calipers - I'm using the AMS lightweight drag race brake kit (Wilwood calipers, 4-piston front & 2-piston rear, light 2-piece smaller rotors) along with some Carbotech AX6 brake pads. AMS website says brake kit removes 32 pounds front (22 rotating) and 22 pounds rear (17 rotating). I did keep the factory ABS system that still works great. This light brake system works for autocross, but not recommended for track events.

Last edited by Evo8RA; Oct 13, 2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
No stock calipers - I'm using the AMS lightweight drag race brake kit (Wilwood calipers, 4-piston front & 2-piston rear, light 2-piece smaller rotors) along with some Carbotech AX6 brake pads. AMS website says brake kit removes 32 pounds front (22 rotating) and 22 pounds rear (17 rotating). I did keep the factory ABS system that still works great. This light brake system works for autocross, but not recommended for track events.
That shows the drastic effects of weight reduction, the fact that you are using small drag racing brakes for autocross and I bet they brake harder then stock calipers on a stock weight car.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Evo8Ra - are you still running stock roof?

what kind of hood and trunk do you have?

What about drivetrain weight reduction, any mods there (drive shaft, front diff)

2320 is LIGHT, please share more of your experiance and info as you are probably the lightest Evo 8 out there.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

holy crap - 2320 - thats pretty nuts allright....Thats like acura integra territory, man! WOW!

I'd love to get to 2600, I am hoping for 2900 without driver. I did add weight with cage, chassis stiffening bars and such....

EDIT - holy crap - 5 lb hood. WOW * umpteenmillion
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8RA
Dang you have got to be able to feel that in the lower gears!! And I thought getting some Baer rotors would make me light.. LOL
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Roof is stock steel, front windshield & rear window are stock glass. I have more Lexan for the front/rear, but since I'm not running a roll cage have been hesitant to replace the front/rear glass or change roof to aluminum for fear of loosing some of the structural rigidity of the unibody. I've heard opinions from both ends of the spectrum. Since I'm already having to add 80 lbs of lead sheet to meet my 2400 lb class minimum, I doubt I will risk rigidity problems by doing more Lexan or Al roof.

The hood is a beautiful high-tech piece made with aerospace quality pre-preg carbon to minimize resin use and is mounted with DZUS fasteners. Here's a link to the hood build:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=352685&page=4

The trunk is an "El-Cheapo" carbon piece I bought off of Evom for $400 shipped. It weighed about 13.5 lbs when I received it. I then cut out all the fiberglass undersupport to leave a carbon skin that weighs 7 lbs. It is also mounted with five DZUS thumb-screw fasteners for easy access to the fuel cell. If I used the same mfg technique as the hood, it would weigh 3 lbs.

Front diff is a Quaife. Rear diff is Cusco 1.5 way. Driveshaft is stock with brass bushings in the mounts. I did add the weight of a Mines 6-pt support bar under the front subframe. It seemed to me to provide the most support for the least weight added back down low. Full exhaust was removed and replaced with a 2.5ft long side-exit that includes a 6" long muffler and exits in front of the passenger front tire and blows out and down. Radiator is an AMS drag race unit. With water and fan, it is 9 lbs lighter than the comparable stock unit with water and fan. If I remember correctly about half of this difference was in the fan. I wired up a switch so I can turn the fan on and leave it on if I choose. I also removed the oil cooler which sends my oil temperatures to 100C during an autocross. This is probably not horrible, but I am considering putting the factory unit back on. If so, I'll need to move it up to the radiator core support area so it doesn't interfere with the side-exit exhaust.

Most significant weight savings I believe was cutting 30 lbs out of each door. The doors retain the stock hinges, latches and outside handles. Lexan replaced the glass. Result was 21 lb complete rear door and 25 lb complete front door. Also I removed everything from the dash area other than the one metal bar that runs left to right to support the steering column and the factory wiring harness. I then mounted tabs to support the factory instrument cluster and factory 3-gauge set.

I was thinking about stripping out any unnecessary wiring over the winter, but probably will not press my luck. I fear what problems I may cause by removing something that the factory ECU is looking for.

Originally Posted by dudical26
Evo8Ra - are you still running stock roof?

what kind of hood and trunk do you have?

What about drivetrain weight reduction, any mods there (drive shaft, front diff)

2320 is LIGHT, please share more of your experiance and info as you are probably the lightest Evo 8 out there.

Last edited by Evo8RA; Dec 23, 2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Dang you have got to be able to feel that in the lower gears!! And I thought getting some Baer rotors would make me light.. LOL
The car is so incredibly quick that my son and I now need to re-learn how to drive it and as people have told me - "Trust your tires". I've been used to having some 2 year-old Kumhos that required hard braking before corners to not "overcook" the turn. The new 11" wide Hoosier radial slicks are actually 1.3" smaller diameter (23.6") than Hoosier A6 285/30-18 (24.9") I used to use, so they spin up faster and have fresh grip. Our focus for 2009 will be to concentrate on driving and learn left-foot braking. It should be a fun year.

Mark

<EDIT> For those who want to see some interior pictures and a youtube clip, this Evom thread has some more info. These were taken a week prior to changing from 18" to 16" wheels.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=364204

Last edited by Evo8RA; Oct 15, 2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

wow thats a really really cool project that you got going.
Its crazy how much weight can be taken out of the doors.
Great idea with the el cheapo carbon trunk, 7lbs is about what you get when you buy a very high end super light weight trunk for 3 times the price, nice work.
It's also amazing how much more could come out of your car, I bet it would be possible to get the car down to 2000lbs....wow imagine that.

I can't wait for the day when the Evo becomes a complete toy and not a daily car so that I can really tear it apart, lol.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Using Lexan for windshield/rear window, changing roof to Aluminum, and removing my Mines lower support bar would save about 45 lbs total, getting me to 2275. Pulling out all the unnecessary wiring may save another 20 lbs. I think it would be very tough to get under 2200 without needing to add a roll cage to hold the thing together.

Originally Posted by dudical26
wow thats a really really cool project that you got going.
Its crazy how much weight can be taken out of the doors.
Great idea with the el cheapo carbon trunk, 7lbs is about what you get when you buy a very high end super light weight trunk for 3 times the price, nice work.
It's also amazing how much more could come out of your car, I bet it would be possible to get the car down to 2000lbs....wow imagine that.

I can't wait for the day when the Evo becomes a complete toy and not a daily car so that I can really tear it apart, lol.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

evo8ra - does not look like you have cut anything from the chassis yet. the bolts to hold the dash on those can get removed. the seat belt braces for the back seat can be cut out.

also do you have the rear diff mounts which cut weight out. also the front bar for holding motor up.

i think there is still load of stuff to come out.

you also have rear lights in. maybe can make a thin insert for the rear!!

thats weight of stock ones plus the wiring going to the back!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I removed 20 lbs of wiring from inside, I would say. I took all door sensors, SRS, ETACS, stereo, power locks, windows, sunroof, antenna etc off. It took 2 of us about 20 hours to de-pin it from the junction blocks and ECU...We did it every evening after
work - one wire at a time slowly labeling everything and double checking each others work. You can do it, Evo8RA.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'd love to see your exhaust setup pics and perhaps even have a copy made. While I like my greddy Ti system, eliminating the heavy DC downpipe and selling the greddy Ti off to make some money for other parts like a CF roof sounds tempting...

EDIT - I see what you did on the exhaust and that oil cooler needs moved. I will say thats one drastic build, man.

When does one get booted out of SM? I am afraid I won't be legal for SM Now...I have aero and carbon hood, trunk, cage etc

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Oct 15, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

I definitely am not an SM expert, so someone else will need to chime in on what's permitted and not. In Prepared category, carbon roofs are not legal (I checked with SEB) though you can update/backdate to Aluminum. I know SM does permit aero, carbon hood and cage. I believe the carbon trunk was not legal in 2008, but may be recommended for approval for 2009.

One thing to keep in mind is that Prepared Category rules do not build on STU, BSP or SM, but rather they are a standalone set of rules for building a car. I always recommend to folks to VERY carefully read the rules before making the move to a particular classes. There can be some small "gotchas" that popup if you don't read closely.

I would definitely recommend keeping or relocating your oil cooler. I'll probably be putting mine back on this Winter. Now that I'm back from 2-wks in CA on business, I'll take some pictures of the underhood area, particularly the exhaust, for those who would like to see it closer. It's really simple and only about 2.5 ft long.

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
I'd love to see your exhaust setup pics and perhaps even have a copy made. While I like my greddy Ti system, eliminating the heavy DC downpipe and selling the greddy Ti off to make some money for other parts like a CF roof sounds tempting...

EDIT - I see what you did on the exhaust and that oil cooler needs moved. I will say thats one drastic build, man.

When does one get booted out of SM? I am afraid I won't be legal for SM Now...I have aero and carbon hood, trunk, cage etc

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!