Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2.5 per beam in the read doors??? how many beams? seems light. how did you pull them out without hurting the outside of the door?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For my build, the we just got in there with a grinder and got out ~98% of the beams. Be very very very careful if you use this method. One slip and you'll have ventilated door skins.

Dave
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
how do you remove them, sir? they look glued on
i got a drill and drill the welds out haha and then riped the beams out!! i will take some photos later on when the sun is up.

Originally Posted by evodan2004
2.5 per beam in the read doors??? how many beams? seems light. how did you pull them out without hurting the outside of the door?
there is 2 beams in the rear doors = to 2.5lb

and for the note the first door i did i totaly f up so the body shop will have fun fixing up my doors once im 100% done with them LOL. so i say this again if you dont like bring car to a body shop do not try and do this.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
For my build, the we just got in there with a grinder and got out ~98% of the beams. Be very very very careful if you use this method. One slip and you'll have ventilated door skins.

Dave
the way i had done mine i removed 100% of it.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the beams would weigh a lot more than that. Did you gut anything else out of the doors? How are people getting 30lbs out of each door if the beam only weighs 2.5lbs.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
I thought the beams would weigh a lot more than that. Did you gut anything else out of the doors? How are people getting 30lbs out of each door if the beam only weighs 2.5lbs.
well as i also said i converted over to rs roll ups and that only saved .5lb. so how people are getting to save even 10lb is kind of wondering. this is why i stoped there and thought about it.

i think next step im going to do is drill 1.5in hole out and weight that in and see how much it weight in at. and that can determine how much i can save by cutting door.

still cant believe that it weight in so light

LOL the evo comes stock light as i see it now!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
well as i also said i converted over to rs roll ups and that only saved .5lb. so how people are getting to save even 10lb is kind of wondering. this is why i stoped there and thought about it.

i think next step im going to do is drill 1.5in hole out and weight that in and see how much it weight in at. and that can determine how much i can save by cutting door.

still cant believe that it weight in so light

LOL the evo comes stock light as i see it now!
that harness and wiring weigh a little, but I agree, not 10 lbs
Old Nov 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I think most of the weigh must come from the second layer of the door. There is a sort of double structure to the door being the outer skin and then all the inner support. My guess is the inner support could possibly weigh over 10lbs per door. That the only way I can imagine them getting out as much as they all claim.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

that harness and wiring weigh a little, but I agree, not 10 lbs
the wireing i took out didnt even move the scale LOL
Old Nov 4, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't weighed parts of the doors, but I have pulled parts out. The wiring harness (if you remove the whole thing) weighs a bunch, especially if you count the rubber boots that you can also remove.

I think most of the weigh must come from the second layer of the door. There is a sort of double structure to the door being the outer skin and then all the inner support. My guess is the inner support could possibly weigh over 10lbs per door. That the only way I can imagine them getting out as much as they all claim.
By the inner part of the door, are you referring to what the door panel snaps to, or are you saying there are two layers of metal on the outside part of the door? The inner skin is fairly thin, so I don't think there's much weight there. I'm surprised that the door beams only came in at 2.5 lbs, I would've expected closer to 10, if you assume the entire door weighs ~55lbs.

Dave
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe all the little pieces just add up. I mean how else do people get so much damm weight from the doors.

I guess the door panels are about 4lbs each, and then they usually pull the motors and the entire window supporting mechanism and just bolt lexan in place. A lot of weigh probably comes from that.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe all the little pieces just add up. I mean how else do people get so much damm weight from the doors.

I guess the door panels are about 4lbs each, and then they usually pull the motors and the entire window supporting mechanism and just bolt lexan in place. A lot of weigh probably comes from that.
That's exactly what we did, except without the lexan:

removed reinforcement beam
removed plastic 'boxes'
removed window mechanisms
removed all wiring
removed metal where window mechanisms bolt in, and fixed windows in place
removed interior door latch opener (not functional since cage is in the way)
removed power door lock mechanisms

Don't forget that for those of us who are racing, we can pull the door panel off as well. The SSL door panel was very heavy with the leather inserts (metal backed), and I've since swapped to RS door panels. When I'm racing, I pull that off too. I'll be sure to post the results if I ever pull the doors off again.

Dave
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

DaveK - why do you even put the panels on? I am so thankful for some of the parts you sold me for mine, BTW!
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

DaveK - why do you even put the panels on? I am so thankful for some of the parts you sold me for mine, BTW!
Looks like crap when the door panels are off. Besides, if the race is close, I can pull the door panels off to show my competition I'm getting serious. Evo intimidation FTW!

Dave
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

my objection is to have a 100% working window and door but have as light as it can get.

also with door card on so looks 100% stock as well.

Last edited by mike1023; Nov 5, 2008 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!