Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
Looks like crap when the door panels are off. Besides, if the race is close, I can pull the door panels off to show my competition I'm getting serious. Evo intimidation FTW!

Dave
Mine are always off and stay off - matches the gutted look, plus its much too much work to put em on and off for me...
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like crap when the door panels are off. Besides, if the race is close, I can pull the door panels off to show my competition I'm getting serious. Evo intimidation FTW!

Dave
do you have any photos how your doors look with and with out the panel on?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
do you have any photos how your doors look with and with out the panel on?
Here's the only one I've got. Don't mind the dirt...that adds weight.

With the door panel on, it looks like a 100% stock RS door panel...except there is no crank handle installed. The fronts are a custcom job that uses the top of the factory door panel, and the bottom is a sheet of black ABS plastic. FWIW, I don't remove the front ones, as you wouldn't want to cut yourself during a crash on the metal of the door. IIRC, door panel covers are required in rally.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-door.jpg  
Old Nov 5, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Dave
ha i love it...

i just read through all 25 pages of this thread and saw a few people mention using dry ice to remove the sound deadening material underneath the back seat. can anybody elaborate on how this is actually done. i completely stipped my trunk, back seat and belts over the last couple days and want to remove this as well, and i'm not sure how dry ice would help.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

With the door panel on, it looks like a 100% stock RS door panel...except there is no crank handle installed. The fronts are a custcom job that uses the top of the factory door panel, and the bottom is a sheet of black ABS plastic. FWIW, I don't remove the front ones, as you wouldn't want to cut yourself during a crash on the metal of the door. IIRC, door panel covers are required in rally.

Dave
aghh there is still more to be taking off that door!! your only half way done with it

I thought you are the real deal LOL
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR_Lance
ha i love it...

i just read through all 25 pages of this thread and saw a few people mention using dry ice to remove the sound deadening material underneath the back seat. can anybody elaborate on how this is actually done. i completely stipped my trunk, back seat and belts over the last couple days and want to remove this as well, and i'm not sure how dry ice would help.
Take the dry ice, and crush it up with a hammer. Spread it around on the tar/sound deadening material and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then, take a chisel and the hammer and tap against the sound deadening lightly. It should just chip right off in big sheets. Remember not to get too aggressive, or you'll dent the car.

Dave
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
aghh there is still more to be taking off that door!! your only half way done with it

I thought you are the real deal LOL
The driver's side door has the door latches, power locks, etc removed. Just curious what I'm missing? ...but remember, I need the doors to be stiff enough that they still stay rigid so that dust can't make its way in.

Thanks!

Dave
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

thanks Dave i'll give it a try in the morning.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Dave
The driver's side door has the door latches, power locks, etc removed. Just curious what I'm missing? ...but remember, I need the doors to be stiff enough that they still stay rigid so that dust can't make its way in.

Thanks!

Dave
aghh yes, thats very true you go off road and would be bad is dust gets in! on use tramach people do not have those problems.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Interested in loosing lbs.. Reviving this thread, has the deleting balance shaft been listed? Idk what it weighs yet
Old May 10, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

anyone scaled a 2006 rs completely stock
Old May 27, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Got weighed the other weekend at the track.

My class min for NASA TT is 3265. I weighed in at 3278 with driver and 1/3 tank of gas!

Main gutting: I've gutted everything from the trunk and back seats, have a mini-battery, non-hids, no airbags, no factory seatbelts and removed A/C. I haven't attached any sound deadening.
Additions: a Sparco driver's seat, Buschur exhaust, 17x9 5zigens and Hoosier R6's, Mullerized JIC coilovers, added heavy Autopower rollbar and 6pt harnesses.

So, trying to work backwards here:

3278 --> total weight
- 165 --> driver
- 5 --> helmet (total guess)
- 5 --> camera, traqmate, wiring, and plastic mounts for both. (total guess)
-----------
3103 --> w/o driver and camera junk
- 50 --> Autopower rollbar (anyone know exact)
- 32 --> remove stock passenger seat
- 30 --> 1/3 tank of gas (est 5gals @ 6lbs each)
-------------
2991 --> empty w/o driver, passenger seat and autopower bar (estimate)

Last edited by boomn29; May 27, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Got weighed the other weekend at the track.

My class min for NASA TT is 3265. I weighed in at 3278 with driver and 1/3 tank of gas!

Main gutting: I've gutted everything from the trunk and back seats, have a mini-battery, non-hids, no airbags, no factory seatbelts and removed A/C. I haven't attached any sound deadening.
Additions: a Sparco driver's seat, Buschur exhaust, 17x9 5zigens and Hoosier R6's, Mullerized JIC coilovers, added heavy Autopower rollbar and 6pt harnesses.

So, trying to work backwards here:

3278 --> total weight
- 165 --> driver
- 5 --> helmet (total guess)
- 5 --> camera, traqmate, wiring, and plastic mounts for both. (total guess)
-----------
3103 --> w/o driver and camera junk
- 50 --> Autopower rollbar (anyone know exact)
- 32 --> remove stock passenger seat
- 35 --> 1/3 tank of gas (est 5gals @ 7lbs each)
-------------
2986 --> empty w/o driver, passenger seat and autopower bar (estimate)
Update! Removed my stock passenger seat, 6pts harnesses and put in a testpipe in place of my HF cat.
I weighed in at 3265 with 3/4 tank fuel and all track equipment.

3265 -> Track weight with 3/4 tank
70 -> with nearly empty tank (guess - est 10gals @ 7lbs each)
---------
~3200 lbs track weight with low gas.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Well i wanted to see how much weight the rear door crash beams are! they weight in at 2.5lb each door!

and then power window to roll up window is only .5lb
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I also made a ~3lb radio system.

Im not using the ipod in that photo any more. i have one that is super small which is like .3oz LOL and has a 2gb storage with FM and AM signal on it!! so its a full radio system in car!

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!