Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just gutted my interior.. Curious as to what to do with the doors? Its a Time Attack car and I've removed the door panels. Just want to know if I should gut them? Remove glass, power windows, ect.. and how to go about doing this.. I've never done it before

I understand gutting a car has its own unique beauty about it but for the general public its ugly.. so i want to do a clean job. any advice, articles, pics??

Last edited by MitsoKid; Feb 4, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EGbeater
17" x 9" Kosei K1-TS wheels (16.1-16.3 lb each)
your rims weigh 16.1 lbs??? care to show us where to get these
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MitsoKid
i just gutted my interior.. Curious as to what to do with the doors? Its a Time Attack car and I've removed the door panels. Just want to know if I should gut them? Remove glass, power windows, ect.. and how to go about doing this.. I've never done it before

I understand gutting a car has its own unique beauty about it but for the general public its ugly.. so i want to do a clean job. any advice, articles, pics??
Well i can tell you a little about gutting doors. I my self have done it. I read threads and threads about saving weight. Ask many questions about weight in parts.

So i did it my self. People said doors if you gut them save 10lb. So i went ahead and did it. the diff in there gutt and mine. they cut the crash beams out. i drilled the tack welds out so i removed even more.

crash beams in the rear only weight in at 2.5lb stock door card is 2.5lb LOL electric motor to manual is only .5lb diff.

so we are up to 3lb and still look stock.

NOTE: if you do drill the welds out. its not a fun task to do. also make sure you have a stopper on your drill bit or your going to put nip marks on your door or better yet go throw the door on the other side. and then it will look ugly.

now if you want to go a little more wild. that is if its only track car and does not see road. you can 1/2in & 1in & 1 1/2in circle drill bits and cut some more weight off the door like that.

All the stuff is more or less free weight.

Now if you want to spend some money's you can get the AMS window kit where replacing the glass with lexan. I would recommend not too since that will put you in a total new race class.

I attach a photo of how my rear door looks after i gutted it. and still looks 100% stock and all!!
Attached Thumbnails Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!-photo.jpg  
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
your rims weigh 16.1 lbs??? care to show us where to get these
Mine are 17" x 8" and they are 15.4lb
Old Feb 5, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Mike care to post a pic and where did you get them
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Mike care to post a pic and where did you get them

I had gotten them off evom someone was selling them. I know you can get them on tirerack unless they are not selling them anymore. just look around they are stock size rims. and weight in at 15.4lb
Old Feb 5, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

thanks Mike1023.

That is pretty much what my doors look like right now.

Do you guys pull the glass out of the front windows? I know most tracks and organizations require you too keep them down anyway. I could definitely see added benefit from that

I'm also very curious to see how much my car weighs now
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023

I had gotten them off evom someone was selling them. I know you can get them on tirerack unless they are not selling them anymore. just look around they are stock size rims. and weight in at 15.4lb
What brand
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

thanks Mike1023.

That is pretty much what my doors look like right now.

Do you guys pull the glass out of the front windows? I know most tracks and organizations require you too keep them down anyway. I could definitely see added benefit from that

I'm also very curious to see how much my car weighs now
Send me a photo of inside front and back i can guess how much it weight in at.

PS: my doors dont look like that i was just showing you how the inside i have gutted them. but i put the door panels back on so you can not notice weight out of the doors. LOL

NOTE: there also little things can take out of door that all add up to weight but also note make sure no one open the door to much or you **** the door up bad!!!

Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

What brand
Kosei K1-TS!! lol
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

okay, i'll go grab some pics.. stuck at home today anyway due to 2 inches of ice last night, haha

and yea its still a work in progress so dont be shocked.. I just started, its got a long way to go
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

okay, i'll go grab some pics.. stuck at home today anyway due to 2 inches of ice last night, haha

and yea its still a work in progress so dont be shocked.. I just started, its got a long way to go
Its all good dude i have been working on weight reduction for 5 years. all the free stuff i can do i do. its long and painful.

Spending money on weight reduction is last thing on list.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

i live up in the mountains of NC and we have some rough roads. the car use to drive nice before i started gutting it.. now every time i hit a crest or bump the car launches in the air I love it, haha

I know the weight reduction has done its job.. I'm not too keen on putting the factory plastic back in, as you will see in the pics here in a sec. But I dont want to get cut up on metal when I wreck this thing either.

I'm also doing an 8pt cage in the near future with NASCAR style door bars for some more leg room and strenght
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

i live up in the mountains of NC and we have some rough roads. the car use to drive nice before i started gutting it.. now every time i hit a crest or bump the car launches in the air I love it, haha
Well if your talking about stock suspension. that is becuase it was designed for a 3300-3400lb car plus passengers. and now taking all the weight out makes it feel way stiffer. the spring rate is not right for the car now. also make the car higher in the air. when my car was down to 2620 or so it looked like i lifted the car. LOL
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
Well if your talking about stock suspension. that is becuase it was designed for a 3300-3400lb car plus passengers. and now taking all the weight out makes it feel way stiffer. the spring rate is not right for the car now. also make the car higher in the air. when my car was down to 2620 or so it looked like i lifted the car. LOL
nah complete race suspension.. sway bars, coilovers, underbracing, custom springs, strut tower bars, electric controls.. I love suspension.. haha. I think its the most important thing on any car so I always go all out on it

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!