Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MitsoKid
i live up in the mountains of NC and we have some rough roads. the car use to drive nice before i started gutting it.. now every time i hit a crest or bump the car launches in the air I love it, haha

I know the weight reduction has done its job.. I'm not too keen on putting the factory plastic back in, as you will see in the pics here in a sec. But I dont want to get cut up on metal when I wreck this thing either.

I'm also doing an 8pt cage in the near future with NASCAR style door bars for some more leg room and strenght
Doing a cage will add about 60-120lb which is a lot and then you have to find other ways to take more weight out. which sucks but thats the name of the game! lol
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry its so cold my fluorecant bulbs wont light up bright.. Here is the car how it sits

Name:  013-2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  014-1.jpg
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  016-1.jpg
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  015-1.jpg
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  017-1.jpg
Size:  59.6 KB
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

nah complete race suspension.. sway bars, coilovers, underbracing, custom springs, strut tower bars, electric controls.. I love suspension.. haha. I think its the most important thing on any car so I always go all out on it
Best bet you have to really have the right setup is do all the weight reduction you going to do for that seasons or two depending on your budget. and go to a reputable shop who does suspension. and they will see weight of car and give you the right spring rate. because to stiff not always the best setup. and to soft not always good. and i'm not the one to tell all tech specs on that since i have not done suspension my self. reason why! car handles fine with stock and im still doing great with 60ft time so i dont change unless need to be.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

pics are up and i dont drag race... i road race with NASA and do some local Auto-X. This is my first dedicated track car
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

sorry its so cold my fluorecant bulbs wont light up bright.. Here is the car how it sits

Have you took your dash out and gutted everything behind there also? there is a lot of hidding weight behind there.

bolt in cage!! me personal think they are a waste of money and weight. unsafe.

dont take what i say about that personal please.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

I totally agree. I was told it was a good buy because it was $300 and its NASA and SCCA approved but I saw one rip out of a car once and now I'm going to a full 8pt weld in spec cage in the spring. I hope so anyway. It does fit nice though.

And no, thats next week project.. I'm going to pull out all the insulation, sound deadening, un-necessary ducting, ect.. ect.. everything else is pretty much removed though.. I want to get it all done before my engine comes back
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

i also want to pull out the center console completely but it looks so damn bad I can't deal with it, haha.. Any suggestions? lol.

I',m all about dropping weight but this car has seen road use and it sucks, haha
Old Feb 5, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
Doing a cage will add about 60-120lb which is a lot and then you have to find other ways to take more weight out. which sucks but thats the name of the game! lol
I think I legitimately took almost 120 lbs out of my doors. Complete (incl. handles, hinges, plastic windows, latches w/mechanisms) they weigh 21 lbs rear, 25 lbs front. Of course this is for autocross, and you mentioned you don't want the risk of being cut in a time attack incident, so you'd probably want to add a one-piece aluminum inner skin. There are some pictures on this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...tion-viii.html
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we covered ours in thin carbon.

cb
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Come on guys, stop destroying such nice cars! You are killing me.

I was asked about brakes and suspension over the last few days. So I thought I'd post some interesting information.

My car is running the Giro lightweight rotors and Apexi N1's. Those two things only saved 58.5 pounds of weight. That's impressive if you ask me.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

does anyone know the weight difference between stock trunklid and vis cf trunklid?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

I was asked about brakes and suspension over the last few days. So I thought I'd post some interesting information.

My car is running the Giro lightweight rotors and Apexi N1's. Those two things only saved 58.5 pounds of weight. That's impressive if you ask me.
I do not speak for everyone but I do not street drive or drag race my evo. I do Time Trials. Its worth shedding the weight. The handling differences are unbelievable. Not to mention acceleration, braking, ect.. When your limited in horsepower, build for weight
Old Feb 8, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

I do agree with you on the destroying cars. But, to each its own!

And the weight saving on those parts are very nice! Also looking to spend few grand for that. I on the other hand look for everything you can shave off for free and still look and feel 100% stock.

PS there is a ton of weight hidden that no one would ever tell it was even there.

Originally Posted by evolutong
does anyone know the weight difference between stock trunklid and vis cf trunklid?
it all depends on which one you get. If you want lightest. Talk to robispec he has the lightest on the market but, will run you around 700$.

The saying still is there want to play got to pay!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by evolutong
Originally Posted by mike1023
it all depends on which one you get. If you want lightest. Talk to robispec he has the lightest on the market but, will run you around 700$.

The saying still is there want to play got to pay!
Actually, it's $850 + $200 for shipping, unless you're in Cali and can go pick it up. But here's the major problem - Robispec claims their CF trunklid is "approximately 4 lb.":

http://www.robispec.com/products/?cat=trunks-23

Unfortunately, the one I bought is nowhere near that - it's 6 lb., 10 oz. (6.625 lb). That's pretty far off from the claim. Sure, there'll be some variation from individual examples as they're handlaid by Fiber Images, but still - that's 40% from the advertised weight. Very lame.

The OEM Evo trunklid weighs 21.31 to 21.33 lb (I've weighed two examples, one from an 8 and one from a 9), without the mounting bolts for the hinges and latch, the latch and key cylinder, and with the emblems on it:

Name:  OEMEvo8trunklid2131lb.jpg
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  OEMEvo8trunklid2131lb2.jpg
Size:  119.1 KB

The Robispec carbon trunklid... total weight with the SAE mounting hardware is 6.79 lb.:

Name:  CFEvotrunklidbottom.jpg
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  CFEvotrunklid6625lb4.jpg
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  CFEvotrunklid6lb10oz.jpg
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  CFEvotrunklidhardware163lb75grams.jpg
Size:  132.2 KB

***EDIT: and here's the actual weight on the Evo trunk springs: 1 lb., 3.0 oz. (1.19 lb.):***

Name:  evotrunksprings119lb.jpg
Size:  120.8 KB

Last edited by EGbeater; Feb 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: more info
Old Feb 8, 2010, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Thats some good info! and from there post before they use a company called Downforce Composites. which they state it to be 7lb and the stock OEM 22.5lb.

Note you could always cut out the supports from the CF truck and make it lot lighter but, then you will have to pin it down and there will be no hardware to lock it unless get locking pins. which you can but you would need at lest 2 and then the other 2 slandered which so will cost you a good amount.

Then a side note. to get into truck will be one pain in the *** if you drive car daily and use trunk.

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!