Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Has anybody cut out the trunk support structure on the stock trunk?

If so, what was the weight savings and how flimsy is the trunk now?
Guess I'll answer my own question.

Wingless and gutted trunk lid weighs 14 pounds. Hinge mounts and latch mount removed so it will require a different method to secure it. I did retain the portion of the trunk that contacts the seal though. Making it a skin alone would probably get it down to 11 pounds or so.

I was hoping it would be a few pounds less but oh well. It will be a good trial-and-error working item for doing the DZUS fasteners but I'll probably do a carbon skin in the future. It is still reasonably stiff though. Overall, seems like it will save 16-17 pounds for very little money. I have a feeling the fasteners are going to be very time intensive to get right though and the trunk needs some body work and paint for the holes left behind.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Mar 26, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anybody cut out the trunk support structure on the stock trunk?

If so, what was the weight savings and how flimsy is the trunk now?
Originally Posted by EGbeater
I have not done this, but will be doing it soon, and can report back. I won't be gutting it entirely, as I will be retaining the latch mechanism (and therefore the support structure for the latch) and I will keep the outermost "rail" of support around the outer edge of the trunk. I'll be mounting a sizable wing to this semi-gutted OEM trunklid, so I need to make sure the two outer edges are still stiff/strong enough to transfer force onto the outer edges of the trunk opening/body.

I'm not anticipating much weight savings by doing this—I think I'll be lucky to get rid of 2.5 pounds this way.
Guess I'll answer my own question.

Wingless and gutted trunk lid weighs 14 pounds. Hinge mounts and latch mount removed so it will require a different method to secure it. I did retain the portion of the trunk that contacts the seal though. Making it a skin alone would probably get it down to 11 pounds or so.

I was hoping it would be a few pounds less but oh well. It will be a good trial-and-error working item for doing the DZUS fasteners but I'll probably do a carbon skin in the future. It is still reasonably stiff though. Overall, seems like it will save 16-17 pounds for very little money. I have a feeling the fasteners are going to be very time intensive to get right though and the trunk needs some body work and paint for the holes left behind.
Haha, coincidentally I finally got around to gutting my spare OEM Evo trunklid, and found that I was able to drop just under 4 1/2 lbs by gutting the support structure aside from what I felt was critical to support the hinge arm attachment points, and the latch assembly... more than I thought!

So, it would appear you were able to drop another 3 lbs. by gutting EVERYTHING but the trunkseal "rim"... good to know.

My trunklid is fairly flex-y now without the underlying reinforcement structure, and it's definitely not ideal at the latch mounting point (the trunk hinge mounting points are still bomber though). But, the APR GTC-300 wing I'm bolting on it actually stiffens it up considerably, at least across the top of the trunklid.

BEFORE (21.38 lb, w/o the OEM wing, with the 4 hinge mounting bolts):

AFTER (16.95 lb, with 4 hinge mounting bolts):

Name:  guttedtrunkfinalbeforepaint007.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  guttedtrunkfinalbeforepaint006.jpg
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  guttedtrunkfinalbeforepaint004.jpg
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  guttedtrunkbeforepaint1695lb.jpg
Size:  72.7 KB
Old May 13, 2011, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how much an OEM Evo 9 Throttle Body weighs?

Thanks
Old May 13, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HeartBeatMotoR
Does anyone know how much an OEM Evo 9 Throttle Body weighs?

Thanks
Happened to have my IM/TB off the car anyway, so I went ahead and weighed it for you: 1.875 lb.

Keep in mind this weight is for an OEM Evo 9 TB bored out to 65mm by MIL.SPEC, so that probably took about 20 grams off it... but I have a rubber vacuum line "U" on it, which is maybe 5 grams. So, add 15 grams = 1.908 lb.

Name:  Evo9MILSPECTB1875lb.jpg
Size:  122.7 KB

Name:  Evo9MILSPECTB1875lb_2.jpg
Size:  120.2 KB
Old May 18, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha, coincidentally I finally got around to gutting my spare OEM Evo trunklid, and found that I was able to drop just under 4 1/2 lbs by gutting the support structure aside from what I felt was critical to support the hinge arm attachment points, and the latch assembly... more than I thought!

So, it would appear you were able to drop another 3 lbs. by gutting EVERYTHING but the trunkseal "rim"... good to know.

My trunklid is fairly flex-y now without the underlying reinforcement structure, and it's definitely not ideal at the latch mounting point (the trunk hinge mounting points are still bomber though). But, the APR GTC-300 wing I'm bolting on it actually stiffens it up considerably, at least across the top of the trunklid.

BEFORE (21.38 lb, w/o the OEM wing, with the 4 hinge mounting bolts):
What did you use to cut the trunk?
Old May 18, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Happened to have my IM/TB off the car anyway, so I went ahead and weighed it for you: 1.875 lb.

Keep in mind this weight is for an OEM Evo 9 TB bored out to 65mm by MIL.SPEC, so that probably took about 20 grams off it... but I have a rubber vacuum line "U" on it, which is maybe 5 grams. So, add 15 grams = 1.908 lb.
Soooo much weight left to be gutted from the TB. Yank that rubber hose and heavy zipties, cut those nipples off and weld the holes shut. Then do the same with the coolant pipes...only those don't need to be welded shut. That will also let you loop the coolant lines and get rid of some hose, coolant, & hotter temps at the TB.

Dave
Old May 18, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Name:  2010-10-02_12-06-39_722.jpg
Size:  13.2 KB

wingless
no crash beams
dekka 11lb battery
1lb head-unit
No floor mats
lowering seat brackets
3/4 tank of gas

There is more I just can think of it right now.

My goal is 2950 .

My air bags and door beams are next
Old May 18, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by b16a2delsol

wingless
no crash beams
dekka 11lb battery
1lb head-unit
No floor mats
lowering seat brackets
3/4 tank of gas

There is more I just can think of it right now.

My goal is 2950 .

My air bags and door beams are next
why are ''lowering seat brackets'' on here? are they lighter then stock or something? how much lighter????

do you drive this car on the street? if so keep the air bags and door beams. remember you may not care about your life. but if you have a passenger and something happens guess who is at fault.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

The brackets are lighter, I did weigh them when I bought them but it was over a year ago and I forgot lol.

Yes this is my daily driver. Airbags are not necessary :P. How many people worry about the 91 and older cars without bags? You have to have a warning sticker for your passenger if there is no bag, and you are legally able to turn off the passenger bag on a few vehicles. Our work truck is a 2000 with the passenger bag shut off switch.

But thanks for the warning

EDIT: I just weighed the left over seat brackets and they weigh in @ 3.8 lbs. I will try to pull a seat this weekend to weigh the lowering brackets.

Last edited by b16a2delsol; May 18, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

BEFORE (21.38 lb, w/o the OEM wing, with the 4 hinge mounting bolts)
AFTER (16.95 lb, with 4 hinge mounting bolts)(
Originally Posted by Guerillah
What did you use to cut the trunk?
Harbor Freight air nibbler for most of it, and an air-powered cutting wheel for the curvy/lumpy areas where the nibbler wouldn't work. A die grinder with a carbide bit was used to clean up all the rough edges afterwards:

Name:  trunkgutting013.jpg
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  trunkgutting006.jpg
Size:  83.8 KB

A carpet knife blade works well to clean off the adhesive behind the lattice-like open areas in the middle of the trunklid:

Name:  trunkgutting012.jpg
Size:  108.3 KB
Old May 18, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
why are ''lowering seat brackets'' on here? are they lighter then stock or something? how much lighter????

do you drive this car on the street? if so keep the air bags and door beams. remember you may not care about your life. but if you have a passenger and something happens guess who is at fault.
Lowering seat brackets are like 2 lbs lighter....Buschur I think has it posted on his website....
Old May 18, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Lowering seat brackets are like 2 lbs lighter....Buschur I think has it posted on his website....
2lbs lighter per seat or total? why the hell do i not have these? your slacking man. what gives? you need to tell me these things
Old May 19, 2011, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
2lbs lighter per seat or total? why the hell do i not have these? your slacking man. what gives? you need to tell me these things
haha...I figured you had them already...I drove a car with the seat brackets a little while ago, I liked them a lot...will probably buy some for my car soon...here are some links...

http://www.binaryeng.com/blog/index.php/archives/17

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...oducts_id=1562
Old May 19, 2011, 11:41 AM

Thank you sir!

Actually needed it for shipping purposes because I couldn't find anything online.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just weighed my new D2 AWD Spec coilovers

Front: 11.8lb each
Rear: 7.6lb each

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!