Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thanks ill remove that line when i get back from va beach
as for the alt, i dont think its coming out without removing one of the two evils..been there done that a few times haha just comes down to how motivated i am to make more power
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mullen
ok thanks ill remove that line when i get back from va beach
as for the alt, i dont think its coming out without removing one of the two evils..been there done that a few times haha just comes down to how motivated i am to make more power
care to share why the alt is coming out?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

180 amp going in...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've managed to get the alternator out the back from the driver's side. It was a serious PITA the first time as it was like a jigsaw puzzle to turn and rotate it as you remove it. Beat the hell out of my hands too and produced a ton of frustration. It's been several years, but I am pretty sure I had to remove the TB too, which at least is easier then the intake manifold or halfshaft. Just leave the coolant lines connected and move it out of the way.

This was on an '03 though, no idea how it would be with ACD.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks 03whitegsr, i was thinking a similar idea when looking at it ( i was thinking if i removed the ic piping) but i think this might be feasible although a major pita. I guess if i remove the intake manifold it'll give me the excuse to powdercoat it and grind some weight of it in the mean time
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm just giving you ****, i left mine open but i like the idea of a filter...
i should remove the hardline going to the front of the car though.
Off topic but has anyone been successful in removing the alternator without removing a halfshaft or intake manifold? I took mine out before when i had the halfshaft out but i don't feel like doing it at the moment just to build my current working alternator haha
Yes I was able to take the alternator out by removing the timing side motor mount, and jacking up the engine enough, it WILL clear the STOCK intake manifold. If you have an aftermarket one , there is no way it will come up from the top.

This was on an ABS car as well.

for even more clearance, you can remove the rear motor mount to "tilt engine and tranny on its axis"

P.S, It takes some wiggling to get it out, but it will come out ( with lots of swearing)
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

removing this may have to wait until i get the bottom end put back together so i have somewhere to jack from
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I will have some nice weight savings numbers posted soon from the factory front end replaced and made into tubular/chromoly. My chromoly front end will weigh about 5-6lbs.

Last edited by badev0; Mar 15, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

ok i got some of my special super secret parts today. well not super secret but whatever. i feel special.

CBRE ceramic front wheel bearings. 6.6lbs
CBRE ceramic rear wheel bearings 6.5lbs.

thats a 1.0 lb drop from a stock wheel bearing. i will be doing a before and after review on these so once the car gets a few miles on them ''for brake in'' ill be able to do the ''after'' portion of my review. look for a thread about these coming soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also i got my dash put back in. finally i completed my ECU bracket. i been pretty busy so not much time is being spent on the car. although the plan is to have it running by the 1st.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

damn so this is what i missed while i was in VA beach for a week?! I've been wanting a set and Curt is local i'm just waiting for one of them to go bad before i pull the trigger on them (justification for the girly haha)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

damn so this is what i missed while i was in VA beach for a week?! I've been wanting a set and Curt is local i'm just waiting for one of them to go bad before i pull the trigger on them (justification for the girly haha)
i dont know what would happen if one go's bad if they can do the mods or not. so IMO i would send them good used bearings instead of having to buy a new one. this one i was able to slip under the table from my girl seeing it. hahaha. so i still have 1 mod i can buy ''that she know's of''. we so bad.

Curt has been great with me with this mod. i am impressed with his reply times and services. more on all that when i make the thread. i am hoping by the 1st.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

ya curt is a great guy!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:06 PM

Evodan are you still needing the weight for the stock oem steering wheel? I just took mine off but I'll hafta go buy a scale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redrocket03
Evodan are you still needing the weight for the stock oem steering wheel? I just took mine off but I'll hafta go buy a scale
i had the weight of it somewhere on paper. i can not find that sheet. so if you can get the weight that would be great
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:23 AM

Oem steering wheel no air bag or hardware weighs in at 7.2 pounds according to my bathroom scale

Quick Reply: Post exact weights of weight reduction you have done!