Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Alarm Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:25 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MRCole
Ok, actually now iam confused on the MSN article. They have different categories since i last looked at the page. Like CCC claims and crap. HAHA, i don't know now. It's harder to steal a car with the immobilzer than one without one, that's for sure.

and as for the link, ask and you shall receive!

Python Page http://www.directed.com/security/pyt..._responder.asp
Viper Page http://www.directed.com/security/vip..._responder.asp
bestbuy wants me to get a bypass module? is this one way to bypass the immobilizer? does it mean the immobilizer is useless? I am looking at the 791xv or 771 but they will not install the autostart unlike the compustar where you can put it in reservation mode and have remote start. Does the 791xv have this capability? The security only models of the viper alarm have the VRS anti-carjacking system which is not included in the 791xv, 560xv, 591xv, 160xv or 130xv(what is this by the way?). thanks for the input.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have a crime stopper 2-way pager alarm, Remote start w/ turbo timer
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LilJapnBoy
1. YES
2. YES, specifically for the 2-way pager, hiding it in the trunk will interfere with the reception. Plus part of the value of the alarm is detracting car thieves from your car BECUZ they see the alarm.
3. $300-500 on top of the price of the alarm. Typically installation shops at Best Buy/Circuit City don't like to install remote starters on manual transmission cars.
Well stated, and to add on the 3rd reply, it is illegal for us to install them on a manual trans vehicle. It is also against inspection. Keep that in mind, and dei part number 556UW and you will lose a key to do remote start.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
bestbuy wants me to get a bypass module? is this one way to bypass the immobilizer? does it mean the immobilizer is useless? I am looking at the 791xv or 771 but they will not install the autostart unlike the compustar where you can put it in reservation mode and have remote start. Does the 791xv have this capability? The security only models of the viper alarm have the VRS anti-carjacking system which is not included in the 791xv, 560xv, 591xv, 160xv or 130xv(what is this by the way?). thanks for the input.
Yes, you need the module to bypass the immobilizer during rem start only. The immobilizer stays functional as so does everything else. You mention reservation mode, well DEI uses a toggle switch to to turn remstart on always, or off. VRS is a new technology from DEI that isn't really functional at this point in time.

Crime stopper is bleh, you either like it or not. I've had my fair share with crime stopper and will never install one nor reccommend one to a customer.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:05 AM

Yes, you need the module to bypass the immobilizer during rem start only. The immobilizer stays functional as so does everything else. You mention reservation mode, well DEI uses a toggle switch to to turn remstart on always, or off. VRS is a new technology from DEI that isn't really functional at this point in time.

Crime stopper is bleh, you either like it or not. I've had my fair share with crime stopper and will never install one nor reccommend one to a customer.
what's a good alarm that I can install myself? bestbuy wants a premium for the 791 and they don't want to install the rem start and turbo timer even if I am paying for it in their qoute or price. It is basically the two way alarm with two stage shock sensor without the trunk release for $599.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

what's a good alarm that I can install myself? bestbuy wants a premium for the 791 and they don't want to install the rem start and turbo timer even if I am paying for it in their qoute or price. It is basically the two way alarm with two stage shock sensor without the trunk release for $599.
If you havent installed one before, then I wouldnt try it. Its not exactly the same as installing a head unit. And there is a remote start add on called the NSS manufactured by Faias. The part is about $60 or so shipped and will make any remote starter safe for a manual. It involves the user to perform a sequence just as the compustars require. The car shuts off 3-5 secs after closing your door. And ifr the door is opened, the sequence has to be done again. Back on topic now. I still wouldnt atempt that install if you dont normally work with electronics. Oh and I live and die by Clifford so anything else to me is rubish. I have seen the guts of all alarms and R/S and most Dei products are solid inside. Good Luck
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:43 PM

anybody heard of the carroll shelby alarm by jbs technologies,llc? one of our local alarm shops used to carry the viper and clifford and now they only have the carroll shelby brand. he said it is the hot alarm nowadays? btw for diy'ers, you can download the installation manual and maybe purchase from them?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

anybody heard of the carroll shelby alarm by jbs technologies,llc? one of our local alarm shops used to carry the viper and clifford and now they only have the carroll shelby brand. he said it is the hot alarm nowadays? btw for diy'ers, you can download the installation manual and maybe purchase from them?

I havent heard of them, and to get on about best buy not installing the remstart, is because they cannot legally do it. For the turbo timer feature, they can install that without a problem. Only catch is there will be no starter kill hookedup.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:45 AM

I havent heard of them, and to get on about best buy not installing the remstart, is because they cannot legally do it. For the turbo timer feature, they can install that without a problem. Only catch is there will be no starter kill hookedup.
thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

go to magnolia hi-fi, its more higher end and service is unbelievable!
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:42 AM

I would never take anything to best buy to be installed but thats just me. If i had my choice of any alarm i would wait for the Clifford avantgaurd to get on the market. Its gunna be crazy expensive but 1 mile paging range ftw. I also used to have the viper 791 on my 240sx and i liked it alot just wish the range was better.

Last edited by Wicked MR; Jun 28, 2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:52 AM

Well it all depends on your exact needs for the alarm. Preventing it from being stolen, the goods inside, need a little more info on what you want out of it. Features like, able to do a trunk release, window mods, proximity sensor, tilt sensors, glass break sensor, turbo timer, two way paging, starter kill.

Let me know and i can help you further. Also, what price range, and who will be doing the install. Most DEI products require professional installation. And, is the LED color out of the box a big deal?

I've helped a few other guys out on these forums, and according to them gave them great advice. On a further note, i'm a mobile electronics installer, and i do it for a living, so i am not just guessing on the products as i work with them every day.
I'm looking too and this is what features I'd like to have... remote start, 2 way paging, glass break sensor, proximity sensor, window modules for all windows (not sunroof I don't guess...), trunk release, maybe the tilt sensor, a siren that has built in battery supply so it will continue to go off even if they rip it completely out of the car, and a turbo timer if I can't use my aftermarket one w/ the alarm... Do all alarms have a feature that will set off the alarm if there is a current draw (so if trunk opens it will go off or do I need to install hood and trunk pins for it to go off if someone opens them up? Also, never installed an alarm b4 but have done many car audio set-ups so I believe I could install myself but advice on that too would be nice. Last time I got a quote on an alarm from a shop it was 2k+ (mostly labor, hence why I want to do this myself... not to mention ppl suck at installs and charge you an arm & a leg to cut and splice w/ electrical tape...{maybe exaggerated but you get the point... most have no wk ethic) so needless to say I'm still without an alarm at this point...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

I have had serveral dei alarms in my cars in cluding the viper. I now have the compustar 2wssr this thing is awsome. I have had this in 2 evos now and have had no problems. The range is great. But if you can not find a shop to install one then the dei alarms are great too. first choise is compustar though.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Got Boost?
I'm looking too and this is what features I'd like to have... remote start, 2 way paging, glass break sensor, proximity sensor, window modules for all windows (not sunroof I don't guess...), trunk release, maybe the tilt sensor, a siren that has built in battery supply so it will continue to go off even if they rip it completely out of the car, and a turbo timer if I can't use my aftermarket one w/ the alarm... Do all alarms have a feature that will set off the alarm if there is a current draw (so if trunk opens it will go off or do I need to install hood and trunk pins for it to go off if someone opens them up? Also, never installed an alarm b4 but have done many car audio set-ups so I believe I could install myself but advice on that too would be nice. Last time I got a quote on an alarm from a shop it was 2k+ (mostly labor, hence why I want to do this myself... not to mention ppl suck at installs and charge you an arm & a leg to cut and splice w/ electrical tape...{maybe exaggerated but you get the point... most have no wk ethic) so needless to say I'm still without an alarm at this point...

Glad to hear you are interested in security. For the features, python, viper, clifford all support those mods you want. You need parts to make the windows work off the remote, a seloniod to release your trunk, and your aftermarket (AM) turbo timer will still work. You will need to install a hood pin, but you can catch trunk pin at the light in the back of the trunk. With all those sensors and install, i can see why it was expensive. It's hard to do clean work, especially at a retail store like best buy or circuit city. Some shops have better reputations than others so look for that. Ask some friends or have the shop provide pictures of their installs to make you feel better. I am the installation manager at circuit city where i work, and half *** installs do not cut it. If a customer is unsure, i have about 100 customers who can give a reference of the clean work my shop does, not to mention the portfolio we have with about 10,000 pictures (i kid you not) in it.

You either are good at installs and make a living out of it or you just suck at it and do it as a "job". I take passion in what i do, so look for the same thing around your area. Any more specific questions feel free to PM me, and that goes for everyone.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:37 PM

.....Any more specific questions feel free to PM me, and that goes for everyone.
Thx... Will do...