Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Review: Pioneer AVIC Z1 + Orbital 2 din conversion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bestthereis27
So all we need is the orbital kit, and the z1? No other accessories, like wiring harness?
no you still need a harness and tools and twist tops, electrical tape, 1/8" drill bit...power drill...etc
Old Sep 5, 2006, 01:44 PM

is there a direct harness adaptor or do we have to cut the stock one off and make a new one?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

all you need is a wiring harness, plus the tools mentioned above
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:52 PM

Just FYI yellow, there is a product for the Z1 that bypasses the dvd and nav lockout without voiding anything. Works great, installed it on my friend's unit 2 weeks ago. Turned it from a 2k paper weight into a real nav unit.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm....i didn't know that, can you pm me with details?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:42 AM

Yellow id rather post it here in case other people want to know. Theres a forum called Avic411 or something, a moderator on there goes by the name DucatiBoy makes a relay that flashes 12V onto the illumination wire 3 times while the unit is booting. Thing costs like 30 bux i think. This is some kind of software/firmware trigger that bypasses the lockout. Ive heard that the newest newest production runs of Z1s (like July this year onwards) have taken that feature out, but thats not confirmed yet. All you do is give the relay switched power, ground it, and then T-tap it between the illumination wire from your Evo and the one that connects to the Z1. Works like a charm!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jcv883
Yellow id rather post it here in case other people want to know. Theres a forum called Avic411 or something, a moderator on there goes by the name DucatiBoy makes a relay that flashes 12V onto the illumination wire 3 times while the unit is booting. Thing costs like 30 bux i think. This is some kind of software/firmware trigger that bypasses the lockout. Ive heard that the newest newest production runs of Z1s (like July this year onwards) have taken that feature out, but thats not confirmed yet. All you do is give the relay switched power, ground it, and then T-tap it between the illumination wire from your Evo and the one that connects to the Z1. Works like a charm!
avic411.com. Post-July models have an alternative method of disabling the feature locking.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

i heard some ghetto way of doing the same thing is flashing your lights on an off while the unit is booting up....i haven't tried it myself, maybe ill do it when i leave work and confirm.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by yellowEVO21
i heard some ghetto way of doing the same thing is flashing your lights on an off while the unit is booting up....i haven't tried it myself, maybe ill do it when i leave work and confirm.
Yeah, it should work fine. I also hear that flashing your HIDs is bad for them, so if it does work I would highly suggest the relay. The relay does not actually flash your lights, it just throws 12V onto the illumination line.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yellowEVO21
basiclly thats what the relay does. When you flash your lights it sends the 'signal' to the unit and disables the feature....the relay he's talking about mimics the flashing lights but with just sending the signal to the unit instead of to the lights and the unit.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CT9A-MR
is there a direct harness adaptor or do we have to cut the stock one off and make a new one?
the after-market harness is designed to plug directly into the cars harness and on the opposite end it has all your loose wires that you wire into your Units harness. so its real easy and you don't have to be in the car to do it. Just wire the two harnesses together while sitting infront of TV like i did...then when you come to install the unit its just plug and play.

(oh except for ground) there is a ground lead that goes into the harness so that you don't have to worry about...but if you have modules like the ipod or XM modules, those need to be grounded.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:32 PM

Just FYI yellow, there is a product for the Z1 that bypasses the dvd and nav lockout without voiding anything. Works great, installed it on my friend's unit 2 weeks ago. Turned it from a 2k paper weight into a real nav unit.
I was going to buy the z1 for my wife what is the dvd navi lockout? you can't watch a dvd while driving or you can't use the navi while driving or both? I'm confused why would you get navi if you can't us it while driving I don't think that is what you mean? You are probably talking about the dvd function right?

WoW my post is really confusing too
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

isnt the nav free once you buy the dvd?... so theres no monthly charge for it right?.. seems like your are driving an MR.. were u able to re route / cut and splice/ move the a/c controls?.. and how?..
Old Sep 14, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by johnsrt4
I was going to buy the z1 for my wife what is the dvd navi lockout? you can't watch a dvd while driving or you can't use the navi while driving or both? I'm confused why would you get navi if you can't us it while driving I don't think that is what you mean? You are probably talking about the dvd function right?

You can't input destinations to the nav system while driving unless you add the flasher or the two grounds (depending on your production month).
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by johnsrt4

basiclly you cant watch a movie or enter a new destination or look up a POI unless you have the ebrake up. but you can use the navi as far as getting verbal directions from it and viewing the map. just can't change your destination until you come to a stop. unless you are really good at driving and you can pull the ebrake through a turn and a passegner can change the destination for you :-P hahaha

Quick Reply: Review: Pioneer AVIC Z1 + Orbital 2 din conversion