Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Review: Pioneer AVIC Z1 + Orbital 2 din conversion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Pioneer AVIC Z1 + Orbital 2 din conversion

Note - This is a long post!!

Well I'm surprised I'm the first one to get it here (or maybe just the first one to write a review about it). I'm going to give a review of the major features that I've used so far so if you guys want more information about features I haven't mentioned, wait for me to use them and I'll update this thread. Keep in mind I've only had this radio in for 4 days! Sorry about the lack of immediate pics, ill try to borrow my gf's camera and upload them for some screen shots to accompany each section - so in other words don't waste your time posting that i need pics - i know this! haha so without further wait...

A. - How nice does it look?

Each menu screen is done really nicely. Great crisp pictures accompany each screen representing each sources screen (i.e.radio, xm, av input, cd, library,etc). There's a loud tone that happens every time you press a button to change the screen, can get kind of annoying but im sure there's a user option to turn it down or off, i just haven't been motivated enough to find it.

You can customize wallpaper via a cd or use the pre-loaded wallpapers. all of them are pretty cool and you can have 2 wallpapers, one for the general menu background, and another for the background thats up when you're in a source screen (the wallpaper when the radio screen is up, or whichever).

The navigation views are very nice, and you can choose from 5 different points of view, one of which is a driver's point of view. I choose the split one, that has like a map view on one side, and a sort of behind and up view thats helpful. More information about the navi next section.

You can choose to have the source screen up, or the navi screen while you're driving.

2. - Navi System

The navi system is pretty good, IMO. But I've never had one before this, so I can't really compare. You can choose to display restaurants, atm's, or other criteria on your selected route, as well as call any Points of interest (POI) if their number is stored in your unit (assuming you have the bluetooth adapter, which i do). The only bummer is you can't manually change navi routes while you're driving. My installer said there was a way around it, but not without voiding my warranty. I can deal with it. However, if you have a stored route (such as in your history, a set "home" point, you can transition in mid-drve w/o having your parking brake on).

You can change the selection criteria for nav routes, like fastest route or shortest route. You can also choose to not use highways, avoid tolls, and other gimmicks. Also, I just noticed a timer for a selected route. I think this showed up when i installed and activated my nav traffic system, so I'm not sure if this shows up w/o the nav traffic.

The map accuracy is good, but there's a few points where it doesn't realize there's a road, so it'll re-route you. This is kind of a pain, and even tho it "learns" the routes you like to go to a certain destination, it can't advocate "off-roading" as it thinks, so it'll constantly tell you to go another way. But if you know where you're going, I guess this isn't a big deal.

The voice prompts are pretty early, and when there are merges or anything, it'll show you a diagram of that the merge looks like, and which direction you should take. There are some complaints out there about it giving directions like 1 second before you're supposed to turn, but I haven't had that problem.

3. Bluetooth - separate adapter

The bluetooth part is pretty phat. you can answer calls, as well as dial them through your headunit without ever touching your phone. If someone calls you, the HU turns your music way down and if you have that person's name stored in your HU, their name pops up with an answer and hangup icon. the only part is that you can only store 5 numbers as "favorites" that you can ask the HU to call while you're driving. I haven't uploaded my phone book into my HU so i can only use favorites while driviing. However, once your parking brake is on, you can dial manually with no problem. If i have to, I simply open my phone and find the contact and press send, and my speakers will turn the volume down and i talk through my stereo.

One note however - The mic is very sensitive, so you might have to turn down the volume to avoid feedback. Having the volume down during like cruising is fine, but once you get on the highway with a loud exhaust, it's a battle finding the correct volume so that you can hear the person, but they're not hearing feedback.

Also, depending on your provider, your phone might not work or sync up automatically every time you get in the car like it's supposed to. I had no problem registering my verizon razr phone, but I have to "search" for the HU every time I get in. It only takes like 2 seconds, but it's still a PITA.

4. ipod

i initially purchased the pioneer ipod adapter, but i later learned that it was a pain in the *** to use (i read this online). So i opted to stay with my Harmon Kardon drive-n-play ipod adapter, which is sick.

5. Nav traffic system

Considering I haven't hit any traffic in the last couple of days, I can't tell how well this works, lol. But I'll update this come monday, cause I always hit traffic mondays. Just to let you know, this is a separate adaptor and you have to pay 10 bucks a month for just the nav traffic service to xm. It overlays traffic patterns on your nav route, with green being over 45mph, yellow as above 35 (i think) and red being like 0-25. We'll see how well this works and how accurate it is soon.

6. Other features
cd ripping, phone book download, other subtle features - like i said, I haven't had the chance to explore this in depth but I'll get to it.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the Z1, def an improvement over my last unit. There's a couple of little things I'd change, but I can live with it.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll be getting some pics up soon!

I got a pretty sick deal on the HU, the nav traffic unit, the bluetooth, and the ipod adapter. It was way below what other vendors here are charging (and yes, it was legal!) PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by yellowEVO21; Sep 1, 2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Question

How was installation using the orbital 2-din conversion? I have the avic-z1 sitting upstairs on my kitchen table and am waiting for the orbital kits to come back in stock. Can you use the brackets off the stock radio to mount the avic-z1, and if so is the depth of installation ok? I've installed a number of stereos in other vehicles where using the stock brackets without modification put the head unit at a somewhat odd depth (just meant I had to drill new holes in the brackets). Is there need to fabricate a surround for the unit, or does it look ok just sitting in the orbital kit?

Thanks for any info
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TSiAWD666
How was installation using the orbital 2-din conversion? I have the avic-z1 sitting upstairs on my kitchen table and am waiting for the orbital kits to come back in stock. Can you use the brackets off the stock radio to mount the avic-z1, and if so is the depth of installation ok? I've installed a number of stereos in other vehicles where using the stock brackets without modification put the head unit at a somewhat odd depth (just meant I had to drill new holes in the brackets). Is there need to fabricate a surround for the unit, or does it look ok just sitting in the orbital kit?

Thanks for any info
It looks alright sitting in the orbital kit - and I don't know if i can make it sit any better, there's a tiny gap between the bezel and HU...and i do mean tiny. but it's enough to annoy me slightly. It might be easily fixed if i just remount it or change the angle, I just haven't had the time.

also, the outer piece that usually goes over a HU to cover that gap doesn't fit with the orbital upper bezel, it's too big. Also, the plastic piece that goes over doesn't have little plastic clips on the inside to mount to the gap. instead it had plastic sticky things you attach to it. i'm not a big fan of this decision by pioneer at all.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

lets see those pics
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

this is the D1...going to upgrade to the Z1 soon....just put it all in a few days ago.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:12 PM

Is the $10 a month for nav traffic in addition to the subscription fee for XM Radio, or is the radio included?

EDIT: n/m... just saw on the pioneer site that it's $10 for traffic by itself, or $15 for radio and traffic together.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

I am really thinking about this setup as well but I really don't have any experience in stereo installation wiring or anything. What would I need to get besides the Z1 and Orbital 2 din dash? Do I need a wiring harness? How difficult is it to get the Z1 in place? I'll probably have a friend help me, just got to make sure I have everything.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's the sound quality and adjustability?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 01:56 PM

far from the 1st.. i did this over a yr ago without the kit. used the jdm piece instead.

oh and i did the rear camera in the keyhole in the trunk too..

Last edited by BANKS 2; Sep 2, 2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

actually the first with the z1...at least the first evo guy on here to post anything about it
Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO
How's the sound quality and adjustability?
naj, sound quality is pretty good, i haven't tinkered too much with adjustability but there's a wide range of options as far as balance, fade, bass, etc.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I really want that Double din set up
Old Sep 3, 2006, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMonster
I really want that Double din set up
then do it....strap on a kit from orbital, and pm me if you want the z1. i got a price you wouldn't believe on the HU
Old Sep 5, 2006, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

i've been debating on which head unit to go with, this or the eclipse unit.
i'm leaning towards this one since i like the bluetooth adapter.
anyway.. you have pm yellowevo21
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

So all we need is the orbital kit, and the z1? No other accessories, like wiring harness?

Quick Reply: Review: Pioneer AVIC Z1 + Orbital 2 din conversion