Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Alpine indash + Laptop.....Possible?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine indash + Laptop.....Possible?

Has anyone hooked up a laptop and there indash? I think it would be nice to have the screen on my indash display the computer screen to watch loggers and or to put gauges on.

Anyone done anything like this?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

guess not
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yes it's possible although I haven't done it with mine yet. The a/v unit has plenty of various inputs for you to use. What I'd like to know/try is if you could install windows tablet pc edition and use the touch screen with the laptop. Now that would be ideal. I may actually look into it for the same reason as you mention. I would be nice to hide the laptop away out of site and not have to have access to it to use it.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

i'm getting xp tablet edition now from msdn to try out on an old laptop. I'll let you know how it goes. I seriously hope it work as this will make logging and such soooooooo much easier to do myself.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:17 AM

In my setup, I have the Alpine DVA-9965 and a VGA/RCA touchscreen monitor for my head unit and carputer. That's the only way I know of getting touchscreen and video from a head unit by just switching the input.

EDIT - By the way let me know how tablet pc is cuz i'm running XP MCE2k5

Last edited by GVO_VIII; Sep 11, 2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually just did this lastweek. I connected my Pioneer 6400 to my laptop so I can look at all my AEM EMS stuff while driving. It was easy on my car as my laptop has a RCA video out and my deck has a video input. 1 cable and I was good to go.

David has a Clarion touchscreen in his car and I have been trying to connect his Dell Latitude D620 and I have been trying to connect the 2 but am having problems. I'm still working on it.

As long as your deck has a video input and your laptop has a video output they should work together. Its just a matter of figuring the stuff out which is the point I am at in David's car.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Video will work fine but for a touchscreen to work you will need some sort of usb or serial output from the monitor to connect to the pc/laptop. If not there is no way for to get the input to the pc where it can be handled. It CAN be done with in dash units like alpine, pioneer etc but it would require taking things apart and fashioning some sort of interface to connect to the pc. The easiest thing to do would be like GVO has and just use a stand-alone VGA touchscreen that already has an output cable to connect to the pc. I still plan on doing it just to view my evoscan guages/logs/etc on my head unit but it would be nice to have full control with the touchscreen.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

JROD - I can help you with that DELL situation. Shoot me the laptop connection specs.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BADEVO
JROD - I can help you with that DELL situation. Shoot me the laptop connection specs.
I'm on it! Thanks man!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

I was Thinking of removing the Sports Gauges, and putting the Boost and an EGT on a Nother pod of some sort. And getting those Din HVAC controls from an Eclipse or something, so i could put the 2 din Bezzel in and put the HVAC controls in the Cubby space thats a Din. This Way i could put a 2din lcd pannel thing probly an Alpine, And then I was going to hook up a Computer in one of those home theater cases in the trunk, rig it up with a 6.1 surround sound and run all the speakers back to the comp and put a sub in the trunk, and get a wireless keyboard. I would supply power to the comp with a custom made power supply. Then i came to my sense and said that would bee like Super Expensive, but Mega cool.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Why not just get the orbital kit and you can reloacte your factory stuff and not have to modify anything and you can do any double DIN application up top. The kits is awesome.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:13 AM

Yea the orbital kit is very good. I've seen it first hand. I chose to go with an indash flip out screen however just because I'm a big nerd for stuff like that.

As for Alpine + laptop. Most screens have an AV in that you can connect your laptop too and you'll get a passable but mediocre picture. This option is great for most people, including myself, but if you're a true tech nerd it won't do. If you want a controllable screen with full VGA support, then you'll have to get a Xenerac or Lilliput touch LCD display for your laptop and start working on a carputer. www.mp3car.com is a great resource to start.

I would recommend getting an orbital double din, a solid HU with RCA audio in, and a flip out touchscreen LCD from the mentioned companies to connect to a laptop. You can use the HU for audio, and the LCD screen for laptop control. Add GPS if you want. Your total cost will be about the same as an Alpine midrange unit.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

I just saw the Orbital kit, Looks great and appears to fit well, but its Realy Pricy, but a PC in your Car is pricy too, but this guy just did one. I got quite a few ideas from him, and it might cost less than i orriginaly estimated, I am guessing around a 1 for the Headunit, Convesion Bezels, and Wireinig. With My shoice of pc thrown in and all the Upholstry i would estimate 4500-6000 I got with almost top of the line pc parts. But i might just take the comp i have now and put it in my car, and get a new one for my room. Will look into it better.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

WOAH WOAH WOAH if you spend 4500-6000 on an in car PC your throwing money away. The highest end units can be put together for around 2500-3000 MAX...
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Dude I am Talking about a Super Comp im my car, when i Build a new comp it cost me about 3000 grand, and with some nice custome cases and that upholstry and stuff about another 500, and with every thing it would come ou to 4500-6000 put togateher and working. But i am still looking around, Havent been able to find much yet, I already have and Asus mother board at home for a Soket AM2, but i think to leave the new comp in my room and put my current one in the car, and i got wifi at my shop and home so i can Throw on a WIFI card and that would be in computer Geek terms, "Uber L33t u n00bs."

Quick Reply: Alpine indash + Laptop.....Possible?