Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Rate my system

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
recommendations on the internet are tough. Everyone always thinks what they have is the greatest and that getting someone else to buy it validates your purchase. CDT is a great example, they don't exist in stores because the new owners (the 5th or 6th) just went to the net to let tehe world know how great their product is.

Dyn are great if you like a smooth, mellow sound and can install them properly. Focal Utopia mids are excellent, the tweet has some issues but is OK and most of the other products are Chinese crap with Focal written on the box to make the company money.

The best advise that can be given is to take your favorite CD, go listen to speakers in a car and when you leave the car with a hard on buy that one.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillAce

Focal Utopia mids are excellent, the tweet has some issues but is OK and most of the other products are Chinese crap with Focal written on the box to make the company money.
Watch out when making accusations with no proof. And people get flamed fast for using crap after Chinese. Its very insensitive to use that word combination, so please don't. Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'll take pictures of the factory for you next trip over. There is excellent product made throughout Asia, that just isn't as profitable. Typhany makes incredible stuff in China but it is pricey. I can also send you response curves of the Focal drivers in an Evo, I have arrival time, phase curves, frequency response and centers. Mid Bass performs well, midrange is good but there was a 9db spike near 2.5K when mounted in the kick or the pillar. This matches closely with the results I've experienced in many other cars tuned with the Focals.

I'm not trying to be offensive, just informative. I have a bit of experience in speaker design, and engineering and have done a great deal of practical, and labratory testing of speakers in my day. Especially when exotic materials and techniques are used since the design of a speaker hasn't really changed.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too many choices. I'm coming from JL XR comps and while they're super clean with some warmth I thought it lacked imaging. A bit dull.

I want to upgrade to some w/ more balance, warmth and imaging. Only name that I've seen come across consistently as good comps is MB Quarts. And even within that family which version?

And no one local carries them so I can't audition...wow this is tough!
Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

The biggest improvement in imaging is in speaker placement. MB Quart isn't the same company they once were either. Rockford bought them out of bancruptcy. It is very hard to spout a brand since your definition of balance, warnth and imaging will be different from most peoples. How damaged your ears are (we all suffer from this), the typical volume level you will listen at, the music you will play all play a factor in overall speaker performance.

When I owned my shop I almost never had a speaker I was selling in my car. It was a test bench that I was always trying new products and ideas. Go to your local stereo shops and ask the installers what is in their cars and if you can listen. A giant wall 6' in front of you in a carpeted room won't tell you anything about how it will sound in your car. If the car sounds like garbage, leave. Ask if they will adjust speaker phasing. This has such a big impact on sound and can improve almost any speaker setup. I don't think I have ever seen a system that sounded best with the proper electrical phasing. Use equipment with at least 96db S/N and about 80db of channel separation. That will also help your imaging a great deal. Remember you make the car payment, you bought the speakers and you pick the music. You are the one that has to like how it sounds, not someone on the other side of a keyboard.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

wow, guess your right about the selection process and one's perceived sound. thanks for the info on MB Quarts. one thing is certain from my experience, those JL XR comps were great quality pieces. I had them over 4 years in 3 diff cars w/ multiple woofer punctures and repairs from my sloppy installs and yet they still sounded like new. their tweets were x10 better than infinity's. maybe I'll just go back to JL's. but I think I'll check out Focals at local Tweeters...thx
Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Eclipse EA4000 and it works great for my listening taste. You might want to consider this amp since the one you originally mentioned is a "D" rated amp designed for subs. I have 4 MB Quarts 6.5" (if I remember correctly) component speakers (RWE 106) and a dated Eclipse deck CD 5444 with 5V pre-out. I am waiting for a box to be built for my 1 JBL DUB-7 10" woofer and I will match that up with the JBL 500/1 "D" rated amp to provide the power necessary for optimal performance from this sub.

As it is, the adjustability from the Eclipse amp to my Eclipse deck has me very pleased. Looking forward to rounding out my system once the sub is in place!!

OFF TOPIC:

Anyone know where I can find a subwoofer box desinged for the JBL Dub 7 10" woofer? They want approx. 250 - 300 for a custom made box at my local shop........don't know if this is a good price or not. Thanks!

Last edited by SilverShadow03; Jan 3, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

I just heard Focal 165k25 I think, at Tweeters and they're alwsome! It had great presence, balanced, realistic imaging, bright! They were much superior to JL XR, Boston or Polks! I think I found my comps!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

THey have really good midbass. Make sure to mount the tweeters with the waveguides porperly aimed and set the phase properly. Are you puttin ghte tweets in the kicks or pillars? Also the mounting depth may be an issue with that mid.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

tweets on the pillar where the stocks are. You're right about the work. I'm gonna have to fab something.

I just realized Focal 165K2P's price is high, 900 retail, 500 ebay! I may have to settle for their mid tier version. i think i saw "V" series for 200 or so. Focals were so much superior that I'm thinking their mid tier should still be better than others...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts