Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Rate my system

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rate my system

I am planning to upgrade my stereo system with new front component speaker, amp, and a sub. My plan is to get a 4 channel amp to power up the whole thing.

Here is what I have in mind

Front Component Speaker:
CDT Audio EF-61FG

Amp:
Eclipse XA4000

So what do you guys think of the amp and speaker? Do they match each other? I also need a sub recommendation to match the amp.

I have a Pioneer premier DEH-P880PRS on the way so that took care of HU.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good selection on the amp, 70rms x 4 should make the comps sing.
for comps, I'd go w/ JL XR650, they're so clean and warm sounding for same price.
for HU, I'd go w/ Eclipse CD5000, has 8v preamp out for ultra clean signal plus it's got all the bells and whistles, now.gl
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

power-wise, it looks like a good match. I don't know much about Eclipse amps but they ought to be just as good as any other. You should find a place where you can listen to the CDTs. I've heard a lot of good things about them, but it's still about personal preferences. I had a set of JL XR653s (the 3-way component set) and I didn't like them at all. They sounded very clean and very accurate, but I thought they didn't have any character at all, and they almost sounded a bit boring to me. But I prefer the sound of a silk dome tweeter. I think metal domes are a little too aggressive for my tastes, and I prefer the laid back sound of silk domes, with maybe the exception of Focal tweets... It's all personal preference.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdub765
power-wise, it looks like a good match. I don't know much about Eclipse amps but they ought to be just as good as any other. You should find a place where you can listen to the CDTs. I've heard a lot of good things about them, but it's still about personal preferences. I had a set of JL XR653s (the 3-way component set) and I didn't like them at all. They sounded very clean and very accurate, but I thought they didn't have any character at all, and they almost sounded a bit boring to me. But I prefer the sound of a silk dome tweeter. I think metal domes are a little too aggressive for my tastes, and I prefer the laid back sound of silk domes, with maybe the exception of Focal tweets... It's all personal preference.
really? I've never heard of CDTs. Where can one audition a set? Only listening to them in person can we really appreciate them.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

I've never heard them in person before, but whenever they're mentioned, they're spoken about highly. I've read someplace where someone even compared their sound to Dynaudios so I guess they have the same kind of sound. I'm not that into car audio now (wallet couldn't take it anymore) so I haven't tried finding any place that has them on a wall.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Aight you said you want a good set, Get:
6 chanel amp
2 12'' speakers - jbl, pioneer e2 6 by 9's
tweeters- billet ones
And a Nice deck that has all the neccesary things to the Set.

the 6 chanel amp is more better if you wanna run everything off of it and get oen with like 1200 watts
Old Dec 21, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Well that amp is a class d amp which means it's made for subs. Class d amps have quite a bit of noise to them. Their small, run cooler, and can put out good power, but they don't work well for mid range speakers. You need a class a/b amplifier. Keep looking, for the money I would recommend MTX or Alpine.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Look at the Alpine MRV-F545, that would be my choice for your system. Alpine amps are under rated as well, so you should expect 20%-25% more than what it's rated at.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:00 PM

I didn't know the Alpine were underrated. Looks like i will add that into my consideration.

Does anyone know the mounting depth for the front speaker? The speakers require 2.75"..
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

The alpines are SLIGHTLY underrated, no where near 25%..

comps are fine, same with amp. For a sub, i would suggest a 12w3v3 at that power level. Of course a 10" would be fine as well.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't even notice that it was a Class D amp. As Frenchy said, they're a little bit dirty to use on highs and midranges and made more for subs. They can be used, but you'll get cleaner sound out of an a/b amp. That said, I've never heard a class D on highs/mids so I can't say for sure if this is true, but it's the general rule of thumb to only use class D amps for subs.

As for their power rating, the majority of reputable companies underrate their amps by 5-15% and Alpine fits into this category. If you get anything higher than that, you're pretty lucky.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:30 PM

Another option that alot of people do(including me and MANY others) is just get an elite pair of components up front and just run some basic coaxials in the back. The speakers you picked out are definatly one of the finest brands out as far as full range speakers go. Take the money you would put into the 4 channel and get a powerfull 2 channel with alot of head room and good circutry. You get distortion/blown speakers by not having enough power rather than having too much power. As long as the crossovers are set properly(on the amp/deck) so they dont get too much bass, you could easily run 200+ true RMS power to those componets, easy. Dynamat will be your best freind in this situation.

You want the sound to come from the front of you, not the back. Get a deck that can adjust the front/rear output levels independtly (higher end alpines will do this). Its fine to just run the rears off the deck, its only rear fill, once again you want the sound to come from the front not the back or middle of the vehicle. When you go to a concert you usually dont go and face your back to the stage(depends how much you had to drink i suppose). A good 2 channel set up like this will blow away a 4 channel setup with 4 componets givin the same budget to spend.

I have been in the car audio business for about 4 - 5years, and have competed and won numerous USACi SPL contests in the Arizona/Tuscon area. True I am giving advice on a sound quality set up, but when your in and around the buisness you tend to pick up good SQ set ups as well.

Alpine/Eclipse amps are both very good. Some other to think about, but might be more expensive are Mmats pro audio, Digital Designs, **** even the Rockford Fosgate Power series have awsome head room. Most people frown on Fosgate stuff, but the Power series is built really well, impressive for RF stuff. Sorry if this seems blotched together, Im typing it inbetween stuff at work. Hope it helps you a little in making a descision.

Last edited by Loaked; Dec 22, 2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 05:27 AM

i just picked up a pair of mb quart 6.5 components. think the kicker 4ch will deliver the power needed for em, or should i go with the 2ch like your suggesting?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

In a car system you don't want all of your sound comming from the front, that's stupid. A well set up car audio system should be more like a "surround" type of system where you here the music all around you - not just from the front. All I can tell you is what I have in my car and how a 4-channel amp actually works.
I have: An Alpine DVA-9861 headunit, Alpine PDX 1.1000 1000watt monoblock amp, Alpine PDX 4.150 150wattX4 amp, 165V2 Focal 6.5 components up front, Focal 165CV1 6.5 2 way coaxial speakers in the rear deck, 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12's with dual 4ohm voice coils. The Infinity woofers are tunable for whatever style box you put them in. If you are looking for clean, accurate bass - the Infinity Kappa Perfect's are your woofer, they sound amazing. The only reason I went with the Infinity woofers over the Focal's I wanted is because I ran out of money but I do not regret in the least bit having to "settle" for the Infinity woofers.
A 4-channel amp is what you want to run your components and rear speakers. What you will have is your front outputs comming off your headunit going into 2 channels of your 4 channel amp and the rear outputs from your headunit going into the other 2 channels of the amp. In short, you will have 2 seperate amps inside of your 4 channel amplifier. Each side has it's own crossover and gain controlls so you can crossover your front seperates at a different frequency than your rear coaxial speakers. You can also adjust the gain controls so that your front speakers play a little louder than the rears. Doing away with or going "cheap" on your rear speaker selection will seriously degrade the whole system. It will not have a full, rich sound. I know if I was to turn my gain to the rear speakers almost all the way down, my system would sound like crap. Right now with the way it's set I have the front seperates set a little louder with the gain control than the rears. It gives my system a full "surrond" type of sound and it gives me the feeling of the music being all around me instaed of it being just in front of me.
A monoblock ClassD amp should NEVER be used on anything but subwoofers. The speaker outputs on a monoblock amp are internally wired in paralel and the amp has no stereo or left/right capabilites at all. These amps operate just as the name implies - in mono or one channel. They are meant for bass and nothing else. My Alpine PDX 1.1000 is strickly for my 12's.
Lastly wire your system correctly. Mine uses 0 gage wire from the battery to the distrubution block then 4 gage to each amp. I have a fuse in the front by the battery as well as in the block before the amps. Also, use the same gage wire for the ground of the amps as you use for the power. In my case, each amp is grounded with 4 gage wire. I really have to upgrade my alternator soon because if I turn the bass up to much, the volt gage inside the car goes past 12 volts and blows all the fuses in the amp. Big amps draw alot of current and stock alternators can not keep up.
Good luck on the system and I hope my advice helps.

Last edited by Hannibal Smith; Dec 25, 2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

Whoever posted above..you shouldn't be giving audio advice if you don't know of Fujitsu Ten aka Eclipse.

Quick Reply: Rate my system