Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

High-end Head Unit help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2007, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High-end Head Unit help

Looking for a high-quality, high-end head unit to complete my stereo system. Here are the components that I have chosen so far:

Seas Lotus Reference Components
Seas Lotus 12inch sub in fiberglass enclosure
DLS Ultimate A5 or A7 amplifier

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a Clarion DRZ9225 but I cannot quite decide. Was thinking Nakamichi but I have heard of reliability problems so they might be out. Not sure of the new Eclipse stuff so I am shying away from them as well. Don't really have a budget, but I was hoping for something less than $1000.

Thanks for the help
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually for the price the Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS is very well, I have one and it is one of the cleanest decks there is and has the most usable options. Also I used to be an installer and have used quite a few decks and this one is my favorite so far.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 08:24 AM

Thanks I will look it up. What do you think about the Clarion DRZ9255?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I have only played with one a bit in another persons car. Internally they are probably the best made and geared the most towards sound quality. Externally they are somewhat plain and the settings can be confusing and its somewhat hard to navigate. One thing I dont like is it has an open faceplate and I never really liked that design because over time dust can get inside of the unit and on the laser. Good deck but a little overpriced imo.

Edit I would prefer this at equivalent price: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._34724,00.html
Old Mar 7, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The new or old version of the 9255. the original schared many internals with the MCintoch head units since Clarion built them. The new version has DSP and other less desireable bells and whistles for SQ.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

I love Alpine, but... I dunno how high quality you want
Old Mar 7, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've said this before and don't think I'm trying to discourage you from doing something but....

You are putting this stuff in an Evo right? Which is not exactly quiet inside or well insulated or anything really that would be good for high quality sound. It just seems to me that all the fine details and clarity of sound will be drowned out by engine, road and, wind noise unless you just plan on listening to it while parked somewhere.

Just my $.02, carry on.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

The new or old version of the 9255. the original shared many internals with the McIntosh head units since Clarion built those too. The new version has DSP and other less desireable bells and whistles for an SQ system.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Well I have only played with one a bit in another persons car. Internally they are probably the best made and geared the most towards sound quality. Externally they are somewhat plain and the settings can be confusing and its somewhat hard to navigate. One thing I dont like is it has an open faceplate and I never really liked that design because over time dust can get inside of the unit and on the laser. Good deck but a little overpriced imo.

Edit I would prefer this at equivalent price: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._34724,00.html
I was actually thinking of this deck at first. But my friend, who has this deck and competes, said that the Clarion is superior in every way (sound quality wise). So that is why I wanted to get more info on it
Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by BillAce
The new or old version of the 9255. the original shared many internals with the McIntosh head units since Clarion built those too. The new version has DSP and other less desireable bells and whistles for an SQ system.
Not sure. I think the newest version, which is the version that a couple of my friends said to get. They have done extensive testing on it and said that it was comparable to the Alpine F-1 but at a fraction of the price. The specs look good, just never heard one.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I've said this before and don't think I'm trying to discourage you from doing something but....

You are putting this stuff in an Evo right? Which is not exactly quiet inside or well insulated or anything really that would be good for high quality sound. It just seems to me that all the fine details and clarity of sound will be drowned out by engine, road and, wind noise unless you just plan on listening to it while parked somewhere.

Just my $.02, carry on.

Yeah going into an Evo. My friend has an even better setup in his STi and sounds great (that is the best justification that I can think of right now ).

In all reality I agree, it is probably not the best platform to put this stuff into, but it will sound great when parked .
Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by homwerk
Not sure. I think the newest version, which is the version that a couple of my friends said to get. They have done extensive testing on it and said that it was comparable to the Alpine F-1 but at a fraction of the price. The specs look good, just never heard one.
Having used the Clarion and the old and new version of the F#1 Status, I can tell you that is definitely not the case. The more your head unit does, the worse it will perform for pure SQ. F1 is a processor, the controls are in the head unit along with a digital out.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by homwerk
might be out. Not sure of the new Eclipse stuff so I am shying away from them as well. Don't really have a budget, but I was hoping for something less than $1000.
I just sold an eclipse deck I had for less than a month, it was total crap. I definatly agree with shying away from them.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about An AVCN-1
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:16 PM

I have an eclipse and I love it...the sound quality is much better than my alpine I haven't had experience with any other companies though.