Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Another Valentine 1 hardwire and JVC install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb Another Valentine 1 hardwire and JVC install (huge pics)

Finally got my V1 installed, and just in time for Florida to consider passing a law...to outlaw them. All the more reason to have one Install was pretty straight forward, i tapped into the hot black wire off of the dome light, and ran the ground of the hardwire kit to the screw holding the sunglass holder part of the dome light fixture. Then ran the 8 foot straight wire along the A-piller down to the cubby where the MR guages usually are.

The HD radio was even easier, ordered it from crutchfield, which gave me the harness and the directions for which wire goes where, soldered them all together (sort of, i dont' have the most stable of hands . Also added the XM mods behind and above the glove box, then ran the antenna wire out the side access door in the jam, and tucked the wire in between the other a-pillar and the dash. Whacha think?

Old Mar 5, 2007, 06:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have mine hardwired in same place...
Old Mar 5, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

how is the performance of this unit i was considering buying one im from northern nj please give me some feed back i would love to know
Old Mar 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

the radio or the radar?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

I love the V1, saved me countless amount of money/points already
Old Mar 6, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

the radar
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

The Radar is badass. You get 3 modes which end up being detect all or let the onboard chip decide which is a real threat. Range is pretty damn far, even traveling at 85mph i picked up a POP radar hiding in the dark like a full 2 mins. before i got there off of I-4. The secondary dispaly makes it worth every penny as well, and it comes with more then enough hardware to satisfy your setup. The only gripe i would have is that, at night, unless you've had it awhile and are used to what light is where on the screen, its kinda hard to determine exactly what radar is being picked up. Other then that, i'd buy it again.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Wow That Sensitive Im Very Impressed Were Could I Aquire One Of These Setups I Am Very Impressed
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

^ http://www.valentine1.com/
Old Mar 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

thanks
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Nice install!

I was wondering, doesn't mounting the radar in that location obstruct its view to the rear window? I remember wanting to mount mine as high up as possible and considered mounting it where you had it but for some reason didn't. And the only reason I can think of now is that the radar wasn't getting a clear shot at the rear window.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

looks good. I want to get one.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by AL Beans
how is the performance of this unit i was considering buying one im from northern nj please give me some feed back i would love to know
The Valentine One is still #1 according to the latest independent unbiased radar detector test.

http://guysoflidar.com/radar-detecto...ctor-test.html
Old Mar 8, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

The rear window in the evo is huge. All i did was flip around in the driver seat, push my head up against the roof and measure where my eye level was on the windshield. From there i was able to see the sky, side to side, and plenty of the road behind me ( minus the obvious wing obstruction). Based on the guide, and the fact that it comes with a sun-visor clip (which is actually higher up then where i mounted it) and the specs of the rear antenna, it should (and from what i've seen, does) have enough umph to detect as much as if you had it mounted in the middle. That and the tint hides it from prying eyes coming from the front.

The next test i want to try/ask the community....has anyone proven that "tint" obstructs its detection abilitites? It messes with light and such, but shouldn't mess with the radar bands?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

I was considering mounting mine in the same spot. I also have tint there. Doesn't the tint decrease the range of the V1?

Quick Reply: Another Valentine 1 hardwire and JVC install