Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Lighting for Autometer Sport Comp II gauges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Lighting for Autometer Sport Comp II gauges

I was talking to Autometer's tech service people on Friday about lighting for these gauges.

these gauges have a non changeable LED thru dial light that is intensely white. The gauges themselves match the style of the factory ones, with the exception of the white numerals and of course the white light.

To control the intensity, Autometer sells a very nice LEd controller #9114. I picked one up Saturday from Summit and installed it. It works very well, all the way from full dark to full intensity by turning the rheostat.

In talking to Autometer, they advised that to change the color of the LED, you have to cut off the silver trim bezel, using sidecutters and a thin blade screwdriver. Remove it carefully along with the glass, then separate the back from the gauge. You can access the internal LED then.

You then have options : replace it or just paint it with a blend of transparent orange / red When done the gauge will match the factory dash color illumination and using the LED controller you can match the intensity.

You will then need to send the gauge back to Autometer, who will re-calibrate and replace the bezel for $25

I currently have oil pressure, EGT, and boost Sport Comp II's. I plan on doing the internal LEd mod very soon and sending them back to Autometer to recal and re bezel. When done i will post pics.

In the meantime, for those people who want to tone down the LED intensity, the controller works with all Autometer LED thru dial light gauges. I got mine for $29 through Summit

Milburn
Old May 3, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

OK i changed my mind about the mod on the gauges and bought Trustz' dash panel that is blackface, white letters, with ACD panel for my 05 MR. $91 including shipping

This will match the Autometer gauges very well and comes with a controller to dim the leds in the panel. You do not need to remove the needles to install this, and it looks factory.

Problem solved.

Will post pics when done next week, but you can email Chab Block at CBRD as he has done this and was very impressed.

Milburn

Last edited by wrcwannabe; May 3, 2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: more info
Old May 12, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Pics of gauges
Attached Thumbnails Lighting for Autometer Sport Comp II gauges-gauges2.jpg   Lighting for Autometer Sport Comp II gauges-gauges1.jpg  
Old May 19, 2007, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the sportcomp gauges and used the red bulb condom. Then I dimmed the factory dash lights to match. VIOLA! Looks good, and is easy on the eyes.

btw, I can't stand ultra white light in your face gauges
Old May 19, 2007, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres mine...
Attached Thumbnails Lighting for Autometer Sport Comp II gauges-dsc00240.jpg  
Old May 23, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Sport Comp II gauges have an internal LED that is not removable, and therefore you cant get at it to put a red condom on. The Sport Comp I gauges are not the same at all.

Anyway that is not why I switched to the whiter light, I cant see all that well at dusk and dawn, making the factory red dash very hard to see.

The pics are pretty bad. But the Autometer dimmer can actually turn the SC II's completely off. I just have enough light to see things easily.

The Trustz dash overlays come with a separate dimmer for them, the light is ever so slightly blue or green ( your choice using a switch. ) I have them turned down dim and on the green setting. You have to look very closely to see any difference at all.

milburn