Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Uh oh - Is this easy to hotwire an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Uh oh - Is this easy to hotwire an Evo?

So I was finishing up my laser jammer install on Sunday, I had the dash apart and the radio wires exposed...

Well, it just so happened that the Battery lead going to the stereo and the Switched Power lead coming from the Alpine harness came into contact, and (with my key completely out of the ignition) all accessories turned on!

I'm assuming if I jumped the starter I could then go for a ride without the key.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it's not. You would not have been able to start and drive the car by jumping the starter.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

To hotwire you're Evo, somebody would have to go into the panel under the steering column and actually get to the ignition harness. In which they would have to connect the constant 12 volt wire to the accessorry and ignition wires and then tap the starter wire.

BUT!!!

Evo's have a transponder based key system, so they wouldn't even get it to run long enough to do anything. They would have to have a key from your car, which negates the whole concept of hotwiring.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I'm glad it wasn't the way 'cause you would have just shared it with the world.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 06:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exactly, you didn't hotwire it... you just put power to the same line that feeds all of the ACC connected items.

Its not too hard to hotwire a car, but since we have a transponder the ECU wouldn't keep things rolling
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

There was actually a book a few years back, you may still be able to find it online. It was called "Worst Case Scenario" (just like the TV show). In it, they told you how to hotwire, how to break the steering lock, how to do a 180 with the handbrake safely, how to do a reverse 180 safely. All kinds of neat stuff.

Not really any big secret to it though. That is the same way that an ignition barrel works. It just supplies power to the wires when you turn the key.

You couldn't hotwire a car just from that information alone anyways. You still have to know which wires control the accessory, ignition, 2nd ignition, and starter. So, no worries anyways.

Last edited by Never Satisfied; Apr 26, 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, forgot to ask the original poster... what type of laser jammer system are you using? I remember installing a Passport SR-7 Plus on a 2004 Volvo. Very nice system; 2 jammers on the front, one on the rear, and a hidden radar detector as well, all of which was controlled by one display
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
Oh, forgot to ask the original poster... what type of laser jammer system are you using? I remember installing a Passport SR-7 Plus on a 2004 Volvo. Very nice system; 2 jammers on the front, one on the rear, and a hidden radar detector as well, all of which was controlled by one display
Blinder M-20 XTreme

Two jammers in the front, none in the rear. Cost me $200 on eBay, it's fully installed and wired up.

I'll update my jammer thread when I take some pics and a video of it in action (I have a jammer tester coming next week so I can confirm it is indeed jamming radar)
Old May 8, 2007, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Link to the thread? Updates yet?

What does it say on the Lidar? Or it just doesn't give a speed?
Old May 8, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

To hotwire you're Evo, somebody would have to go into the panel under the steering column and actually get to the ignition harness. In which they would have to connect the constant 12 volt wire to the accessorry and ignition wires and then tap the starter wire.

BUT!!!

Evo's have a transponder based key system, so they wouldn't even get it to run long enough to do anything. They would have to have a key from your car, which negates the whole concept of hotwiring.

The right person can bypass the transponder, if you know what you are doing. I agree with you about the transponder slowing someone down, but it is fairly easy if you are familar with the system and how it works.
Old May 8, 2007, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

It would take some clever work to the ECU.. but with a laptop, some software from a good place, and a cable I bet it can be flashed out or something..
Old May 8, 2007, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

BUT!!!

Actually, a thief can hotwire an Evo and take it where ever they want if they know what they are doing...it has been done...
Old May 10, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Also all of you forgot about the steering lock so even if they were to be clever enough to bypass the transponder which is VERY hard they would also have to disassemble half of the steering column to get the steering lock pin out...
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:12 PM

You will be able to crank the engine if you acually tapped into the igntion.. but the ECU wont let the car acually start. It the same thing if put a non-chipped transponder key, just a regular key into the ignition. It will unlock the doors, trunk, and crank the engine, BUT NOT acually start it.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by knuckle
Also all of you forgot about the steering lock so even if they were to be clever enough to bypass the transponder which is VERY hard they would also have to disassemble half of the steering column to get the steering lock pin out...
lol i thought no one else realized this..... it's not a honda i hope our steering pins are harder to just break off

Quick Reply: Uh oh - Is this easy to hotwire an Evo?