Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Pioneer DEH-P6900UB and USB Port

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pioneer DEH-P6900UB and USB Port

Anyone using this head unit? I'm curious about the USB port on the back. I'm wondering if you could hook up a portable laptop hard drive (that is powered via USB) full of MP3s to it and access the music. It says that you can connect USB Mass Storage Class compliant devices, but I'm not sure if that means it would work. I'm also wondering if you'd be able to scroll through folders on the hard drive by using the controls on the head unit if this does work. If anyone has tried this, please chime in.

Here's the link on Crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vjZfUlf...130DEHP690#Tab

EDIT: My install pics on pg 2...

Last edited by mrich82; Jul 21, 2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Nevermind.. I found out that it works as long as they are formatted as FAT32. It will even recognize M3U playlists. I think I'm going to pick this up next payday... I'll post back here with a review.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:45 AM

I've been planning on picking this head unit up pretty soon as well. It got great reviews on crutchfield.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JMod
I've been planning on picking this head unit up pretty soon as well. It got great reviews on crutchfield.
Cool, if you get it before me post up some pics of it installed. I'm wondering how clean it looks installed.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 07:52 PM

i don't know if you're buying from another place, but this place is cheaper than crutchfield

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=18326
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

bump for online car stereo.com..ordered a panasonic deck on a monday, had it in my hands thursday, paid for ground shipping too!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

I just ordered the premier version of this from amazon... Pioneer Premier DEH-P690UB

link

only 230
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

I should've looked around some more! I ordered the Pioneer unit last week from AAFES (military exchange) thinking that I got a good deal since it was tax free. I paid $250. I hate it when I find better deals afterwards!!!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrich82
Nevermind.. I found out that it works as long as they are formatted as FAT32. It will even recognize M3U playlists. I think I'm going to pick this up next payday... I'll post back here with a review.
What exactly does this mean? I've got an 80G harddrive that I would love to throw in the car for music.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:17 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang, I was looking at this but decided against it since I had an older premier and thought you still had to use the CD-IBII to get an Ipod to work with it.

After my experience with the CD-IBII and its "ipod like interface" (nothing like an ipod, no labels on controls, confusing and incredibly slow UI) I think I might switch over to this.

Now I'm just thinking about getting the heat off an external hard drive and also prepping it for shock at the same time. Obviously you would want it in the glove box so you could update the hard drive if you wanted to....
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I'mStock
What exactly does this mean? I've got an 80G harddrive that I would love to throw in the car for music.

It means you need to use a specific format on the drive (windows uses FAT, FAT32, and NTFS) and dump your music on it for easy/cheap operation!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by I'mStock
You can do it with the 6900UB! You will probably just have to reformat the hard drive and pick NTFS when you reformat.

I'm going to try to install a hard drive in my center console. I think I can get a USB extender cable and try to cleanly mount the female end inside my center console so it looks clean... I'm hoping it looks just how a USB port on a computer would look only in my center console.

If anyone has done this I would love to see some pics and know how you did it.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrich82
You can do it with the 6900UB! You will probably just have to reformat the hard drive and pick NTFS when you reformat.

I'm going to try to install a hard drive in my center console. I think I can get a USB extender cable and try to cleanly mount the female end inside my center console so it looks clean... I'm hoping it looks just how a USB port on a computer would look only in my center console.

If anyone has done this I would love to see some pics and know how you did it.
$250 isn't bad... it msrp's for $300... i paid almost 250 after shipping...

i *think* my plan for a hdd is this... but i have to think about it some more...

- plug usb extension into the back of the deck
- buy a cheap laptop hdd for under $50
- buy a usb case/adaptor for a laptop hdd ~$15
- just velcro this under the dash on the drivers side

this is just my initial idea... like i said i gotta do some more research and think about it more. i'll definitely keep you posted on exactly what i end up doing though!

here are a couple links... i still gotta make sure this will work...
100 GB 2.5" hdds
Cheap enclosure on Amazon

Last edited by Paulnsx; Jul 6, 2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I've already got an external, USB powered hard drive to use. I just want to make it so I can plug in other usb things if I want. So I want a clean way to install a cable so that I have a female USB available in my center console. I'll probably velcro my HD in there, but I want to be able to easily access it and take it out if to add music and be able to put a thumb drive or whatever else in there.

Basically I want it to look like a USB interface on the front of a computer... just in my center console. I'm lost as to how to do this though.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

hmm, my initial thought would be to buy a usb extension cable... then use a dremil to cut a usb-sized whole somewhere in the dash...

problems:
- cleanly securing the female end of the usb extension cable to the back of the dash
- finding/creating a molding for the front of the dash to make the install look really clean and hide the dremil cut

for my install... i'm probably just going to velcro the female end of the usb extension cable under the dash and make it reachable from the drivers seat. i should be able to unhook/hook up different devices w/o too much trouble.

Quick Reply: Pioneer DEH-P6900UB and USB Port