Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Lightweight Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure In The Works!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightweight Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure In The Works!

7/19 Update!! - Enclosures for sale, please refer to sales thead found here for further details.

7/11 Update With Pics!! Page 2

Hey guys!

We're new here but have been in the audio business for 20+ years, it wasn't until just recently (2 years ago) we left the main stream install bays to start our own custom audio business - Audio Integrations.

We mainly specialize in the custom fabrication & design of systems and have just recently released our own line of lightweight vehicle specific subwoofer enclosures called "Perfect Fit Enclosures"

Having a Subaru WRX as our shop car that was the first model we started with, we now have both 12 and 10 inch models for Impreza sedan's and wagons from 02 - 07.

We recently had the chance to start work on our newest model - the Evo 12 inch Perfect Fit Enclosure. We're just finishing up with the final details and they'll be released here shortly.

We just wanted to start this thread as a little introduction and give ya a heads up on another possible enclosure option for ya. Once we get the final price worked out we'll post a thread in the "Vendor For Sale Section" with all the details, please direct any sales questions there and not on here.

We had a lot going on in the shop at the time so we didn't get a lot of pics of the process, but here's a couple.

We've done a lot of custom enclosures and installs over the years, so if you guys have any questions on materials used or techniques for your own projects don't be shy asking, we'll do our best to help out. You may also want to check out our Portfolio located on our website for design ideas, we have complete installs as well as separate sections for headunits, enclosures, door/kick panels, & plexi work.

We'll keep ya updated on the enclosure work & release as we move foward.

Thanks - Todd & Ryan

Here's a shot of the back cavity being layed up

and all done! sorry we didn't get the between shots - this is the original in primer ready to start the mold work

and a couple more

www.audiointegrations.net

Last edited by Audio Integrations; Jul 19, 2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Two ideas:

One- install in the passenger side, removable to access washer bottle. Weight distribution would be better.
Two: carbon fiber option?

This is a great idea since I had my heavy subwoofer bouncing all over the place until I recently strapped it to the spare.

Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh questions questions questions. I am curious about a few details on this box...

Did you manage to find the OEM carpeting?
What is the internal volume?
Wall Thickness?
What sizes will it be available in? (10/12)

And finally how long should this take?
I have to say I am very intrested in this box, and might just want to grab the first one to roll off the assembly line!

Thanks,
James

oh and pics pics pics!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like another contender is stepping in the ring.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by supersupra
Two ideas:

One- install in the passenger side, removable to access washer bottle. Weight distribution would be better.
Two: carbon fiber option?

This is a great idea since I had my heavy subwoofer bouncing all over the place until I recently strapped it to the spare.

Thanks
We were looking at doing the passenger side for that main reason, being that most customers want to keep the car as usable as possible getting to the washer bottle becomes an issue. We want to make sure our enclosures mount securely and stealthy, we don't like the idea of an ugly bracket mounted to the outside of the enclosure, it also makes it easier to steal that way. If there's enough demand for it we could look into making a quick release setup, but it's probably going to take some drilling into the car's sheet metal for the initial install.

We're using some existing holes in the side panel to mount a couple of bolts, the enclosure simply slips over the bolts ends and you apply a nut/washer/rubber washer combo from the inside of the enclosure to secure it. Once the subs loaded you can't see anything.

We can look into the carbon fiber option, although it probably won't be too cheap. Carbon's pretty expensive anymore and using it correctly takes time and extra steps. Once we get the standard option of carpet setup and out there we'll look into it.

Originally Posted by Jameson_IXMR
Oh questions questions questions. I am curious about a few details on this box...

Did you manage to find the OEM carpeting?
What is the internal volume?
Wall Thickness?
What sizes will it be available in? (10/12)

And finally how long should this take?
I have to say I am very intrested in this box, and might just want to grab the first one to roll off the assembly line!

Thanks,
James

oh and pics pics pics!
I'd say the carpet that we found now is probably a 90% close match. We've found that even the same carpet varies dye color lot to lot. One roll may be dead on while another may be off some, it just depends.

We'll post some pics here soon so you can see the difference. The factory doesn't actually use carpet for their trunk liners, its a plastic panel thats heat formed and has a fabric like finish to the one side. That's why it's hard locating the exact match.

We haven't been able to determine the exact internal volume yet, once we recieve our first part back from the fiberglass shop we'll be able to measure the volume, we were shooting for 1 to 1.25 cubic feet. We'll see how close we were here shortly.

It depends on the location but for the most part the wall thickness will be between .25 to .375 inches. The back of the enclosure is molded to the contours of the trunk liner which adds a lot of strength with all of it's curves. The only flat part really is the bottom, where we added three recessed ribs for strength. Flexing won't be an issue , every enclosure gets checked before we put the finishing touches on em, if we find there's ever a shortage of strength it will go back for more glass work.

Based on our Subaru enclosures the 12 inch models are the most popular, that's what we started with on the Evo's. If there's enough demand we'll look at building a 10 inch version. There's a lot of time and money that goes into the original and mold work for a new model. There really has to be a fair amount of interest to justify the work. We'd like to build a 10 inch version so hopefully there some interest in em.

As far as time we're waiting on our fiberglass shop right now to recieve the first part back, hopefully sometime this week. We have to put it through some tests and check fitmet to make sure everything is okay, if all goes well we'll just have to put the finishing touches on our directions and get them on our website.

I'd like to say a week, but with everything we have going on it may be two. We'll get it available asap though!

Thanks for the questions, hope this helps some.

- Todd
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

What is the price for similar designs on other cars ? (just an estimate ) to see if I need to start on the food stamps
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by supersupra
What is the price for similar designs on other cars ? (just an estimate ) to see if I need to start on the food stamps

When we first introduce a new model we put em on a pretty good sale. Final price will be depending on what we hear back from our fiberglass shop.

Here's a couple links for ya guys -

Subaru models

Customer Testimonials

NASIOC Customer Reviews

www.audiointegrations.net
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

that silverado is sick. nice stuff
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor

nice box...
Old Jul 10, 2007, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

nice peice.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:25 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one has asked the obvious question. How much does the box weigh? They say "light weight", but how light weight? And why do a clone of MConsoliA4s box? Try to do something different. Like passenger side (which folks have already mentioned) or something that fits directly behind the back seat and fires to the rear of the trunk.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:28 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even better...how about a 10" sub/amp rack single piece? Now that would be audio integration!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
No one has asked the obvious question. How much does the box weigh? They say "light weight", but how light weight? And why do a clone of MConsoliA4s box? Try to do something different. Like passenger side (which folks have already mentioned) or something that fits directly behind the back seat and fires to the rear of the trunk.
I would say a good estimate would be between 13-20 lbs. His box is not a clone of MConsoliA4's box. It is created slightly different. Passenger side enclosure is going to cost quite a bit more than the drivers side if it is to be made to accomdate easy access to the washer fluid resevoir. Something that fits behind the back seat with a sleek design would be nice.

Even better...how about a 10" sub/amp rack single piece? Now that would be audio integration!
That would add quite a bit of weight to the left side of the car. And amplifiers come in many different sizes and shapes. Im sure they could do a custom job like that for someone who is having them do the install.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:45 PM

We'll we're still waiting to get one of the actual production enclosures back from the fiberglass shop before we can give an accurate weight, but our 12 inch Subaru model weights in at 15lbs without the subwoofer. The entire enclosure is fiberglass except the 3/4 mdf mounting ring.

We've started our "Perfect Fit Product" line probably before MConsoliA4's boxes were being made, it's not untill just recently we were able to start work on our Evo model.

The biggest problem with any part made is the start up costs. We, like many companies, have to start with what appears to be the most popular option, and then move on from there. Most customers are not going to want to unbolt their sound system everytime they need to add fluid to the washer. Generally there's more people out there that want to keep the drivabilty of their cars over some weight balancing benifits that would be gained from a passenger side model. Most guys that are really driving their cars to the limits (autocrossing or track use) pull all the extra weight out anyway, no stereo at all.

We've built lightweight fiberglass amplifier racks for the Subaru that mount behind the rear seat, something like that may be an option for you Evo guys as well. One of the biggest issues I see with that is the rear strut bar, anybody with any kind of rear strut brace won't be able to mount any subwoofer enclosure behind the rear seat, maybe not even amps. - there's not much room there.

Our enclosure's aren't for everybody, we make extremely high quality products/installs and follow them up with execellent customer service but there will always be potential customers that our setups just won't work for. I quess that's just the reality of it, if certian models seem to work and there's enough demand for other options then we'd more than happy to look into em.

- Todd
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Looks promising! I am driving range and would like to possibly come up there to have it all installed when you have the box ready to go.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure In The Works!