Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo 8 HID's swapped into non-HID or RS??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've never seen it personally.. but i've installed HIDs on lots of cars and they're all the same.... different bulbs have different plugs, but everything should be real easy to swap over...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:07 PM

Does anybody know which kind of HIDs are used in the Evos when they come from the factory? I've been told 4000k. I have an evo IX se that came with HIDs which i love. JUst wondering which ones they are. thanks
Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

4300k d2s from phillips
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Positron
4300k d2s from phillips
And this is also what makes the factory parts worth more. Philips bulbs are some of the best HID bulbs made, it is a rarity that you find an aftermarket kit with Philips bulbs.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:07 AM

The bulbs and again the HOUSINGS have a huge impact on the performance of the light package. Having installed pod mounted sets of lights on rally cars, I can tell you for a fact that there is a difference beyond the bulb and ballast. Look at the pencil beam light kits on the link below, a $1000 price difference from HID to halogens...

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/4000Compact.asp

To anyone who might be interested, I am trying to find out what needs to come out of my car and what has to come out of your car to make it work properly for both parties.

What I really need is to put my car next to an RS... any RS owners in the southern NJ or Philly area?
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I've converted my 2006 GSR (non-HID/fogs) to jdm headlights which uses oem D2s hid bulbs and 9006 fogs. The process takes awhile and money but it can be done.

You obviously need to buy a set of HID USDM or JDM (your choice) Evo headlights. The harness on the back of those housings wont work with non-hid Evo's. Since the engine harness on HID and non-HID Evo's dont match at all. You will need to reuse the 9006 wiring harness that you currently have.

Since I already had an aftermarket 9006 hid kit on my car. I went on ebay and bought Phillips 4300k D2s bulbs and D2s to amp connectors. The fog light, I wired them to an independent switch. So I can turn on the fogs anytime I want, even if the headlights arent on.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 08:23 PM

thanks guys -
Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brandonl
The bulbs and again the HOUSINGS have a huge impact on the performance of the light package. Having installed pod mounted sets of lights on rally cars, I can tell you for a fact that there is a difference beyond the bulb and ballast. Look at the pencil beam light kits on the link below, a $1000 price difference from HID to halogens...

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/4000Compact.asp

To anyone who might be interested, I am trying to find out what needs to come out of my car and what has to come out of your car to make it work properly for both parties.

What I really need is to put my car next to an RS... any RS owners in the southern NJ or Philly area?
link does not work... i doubt anyone is gonna spend $1000 for a HID kit... simply put, this technology has been around for long enough and it does not cost THAT much to get a quality product...
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:31 PM

Im not saying they would pay that, but if you click the link again (it just worked fine for me) and you will understand what I am saying.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I think the thing that most people don't realize is how drastic a difference the right, or the wrong housings can affect the light output of a HID.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

I c alot of conflicting info and im confused. So, you CANT just go onto ebay and buy a HID conversion kit for an evo VIII and put in the philips bulbs? Thats not gonna work, cuz the kit is designed for the specific bulb they give u, correct?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 01:23 PM

How about the reverse for this swap? Has anyone put non-HID headlight assemblies into an originally HID equipped Evo?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
halogen bulb to hid "conversions" without the original or some other sort of HID-specific projectors are not going to workas well as OEM, that's a fact, i don't care what anyone says or thinks, it's true. yes it may be brighter or a cool color and yes you have HID lighting in your car but until you actually use HID projectors, it's not the same. so they should be worth more than any "kit", don't let the people who don't know the difference try to tell you otherwise.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, so if you have an Evo IX that is NON-HID, and want to put a set of OEM HID lights in there, with the leveling switch, can this be done without hacking the wiring of the car all to bits?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

It can be done yes. You will need all of the HID components. You will probably have to either cut the harness that goes to the non HID bulb or buy some sort of adaptor so that you can wire it in to the HID ballast. Just make sure all the fuses and relays are the same and it shouldn't be much harder than that. You'll also have to run the wires for the leveling switch into the cabin.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 HID's swapped into non-HID or RS??