Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo 8 HID's swapped into non-HID or RS??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 HID's swapped into non-HID or RS??

I may be building my Evo into a race only car and I am making a list of the items I can sell off. The HID headlight assemblies are on the list, but I would like to know what is involved, ie, what I have to remove when I sell them to make them work in a non-HID car. Also, I will obviously need to get non-HID lights to put into my car. Will the non-HID lights work in an HID equipped 8 without major surgery?

Also, what are the HID's worth? If you are an RS owner what are they worth in addition to the trade for your non-HID's?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:37 AM

I have no idea how this works, but I want first dibs if this is possible.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

i would sell them from $130... i can buy kits single/dual from 3000k-12000k for $150 new... i don't see why they wouldn't work..
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:43 AM

What do you think the are worth? Including your headlights obviously.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:44 AM

$130?!?! Umm, I dont think so. Those HID "kits" are a joke, the housing are what make the HID's function as well as they do. An ebay ballast and bulb kit is NOT the same.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:02 PM

I'm not really sure. I think that $150 plus my headlights?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

For a factory HID complete set-up including the ballasts, bulbs, and headlight housings you can get a lot more than $150.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:52 PM

My thoughts exactly. I wish an RS owner that has called Mitsu to price the swap would chime in. My guess is that they are about $400 each. Not saying I will want anything near that, but $150?? No way.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brandonl
$130?!?! Umm, I dont think so. Those HID "kits" are a joke, the housing are what make the HID's function as well as they do. An ebay ballast and bulb kit is NOT the same.
this is incorrect information... a HID kit is only a balast, bulb, and wiring.. each vehicle will express light differently as it is emitted from the headlight housing...

$150 is what i paid for my kit and so far they work as well as the $365 McCulloh (sp?) kit i bought for my street bike... all that matters is what kind of warranty you get with each kit... for $150 and they last 3 years, well i guess you got your money's worth...

of course if you're selling factory HIDs and factory headlight housings, you can get more than $130, i was under the assumption that you were selling JUST the HID kit...
Old Oct 11, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah he is selling factory HID parts which are drastically more expensive than the kits you can buy.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 02:00 PM

How much more do you want including my headlights.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by brandonl
My thoughts exactly. I wish an RS owner that has called Mitsu to price the swap would chime in. My guess is that they are about $400 each. Not saying I will want anything near that, but $150?? No way.
If I was going to call mitsubishi, of course I would pay more, and they wouldn't buy my old headlights off of me either. All I am saying is, my headlights have got to be worth enough plus an additional $150-200. But again, I dont know, just give me a quote. And besides, has anyone esablished that this is an easy swap yet?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoSjunkie
If I was going to call mitsubishi, of course I would pay more, and they wouldn't buy my old headlights off of me either. All I am saying is, my headlights have got to be worth enough plus an additional $150-200. But again, I dont know, just give me a quote. And besides, has anyone esablished that this is an easy swap yet?
why would it be hard?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 04:56 PM

i dunno, I thought there was more to it. Is just plug-in-play? does an extra $200 plus my headlights seem too low?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

I would need to see a car with factory HID to confirm, but I would imagine that the cars that have the HID from factory are wired a lil different. The non hid car will have a plug at the end of the wire harness that the headlight bulb plugs into. Whereas on the HID equipped car, the wires coming from the headlight switch or relay will go to the ballast, which inturn goes to the bulb. If I'm wrong on this someone correct me.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 HID's swapped into non-HID or RS??