Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

EVO VII double din and climate controls

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VII double din and climate controls

OK, I was in an EVO VII and the dash used a dual pod up top and relocated climate controlls below similar to the Orbital kit.

I purchased the orbital kit and I am not happy with the quality. Does anyone know where I can purchase these Evo VII parts?

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:49 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check this out...I could only find the upper panel; didn't see the lower panel:

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...dle=2&small=13

Japanparts.com is a vendor on this forum...check out their section down in the Vendors section. I think you can get 10% off their pricing because you're an EvoM member. Send a PM to them and see if they can get the parts for you.

Last edited by atombomb33; Oct 14, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Are you sure the climate controls in the lower panel were the manual controls as used in a USDM car and not the electronic controls used in JDM/some EDM/some UKDM cars? There are many threads concerning the non-viability of switching between these...You would need the wiring harness, AC/heater box, and lots of gutting your car, modifying/installing JDM components, re-wiring to make this work.

NEVER seen the manual controls in the lower cubby except for custom modded and Orbital kitted cars.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
Account Disabled

The lower controls were not the same as the US market, but the design was the same. meaning that while the stickers were different, but there were still three dials with button spots on the bottom. I didn't see any reason why the stock controls couldn't just be screwed in from the back like the orbital kit then swap the stickers out.

I couldn't find any threads with pictures or anyone who has actually tried this. Just a whole bunch of internet guessers
Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

No internet guessing, sir.

The controls you saw are ELECTRONIC. If you examine closely your USDM climate controls, the two adjustment knobs for vent position and temperature control are attached to cables...the cables push and pull on controls in the heater/ A/C box to control/adjust these functions. The fan control is electric.

NOW, the controls you saw, have VARIABLE POTENTIOMETERS (Can you say that? Good! ) that send a variable ELECTRICAL (see...no push/pull cable) to servo motors in the JDM Heater/ A/C box. How, when, and how much these ELECTRICAL signals are sent to the JDM heater/ A/C box is also tied in to the ETACS...that's the big electrical junction box/cabin electrics ECU up under your dash, BTW.

Go ahead, order the panel/controls you saw and convert it. I will be here to say I told you so with a smile.

For now, though, you'll still have to fab up your own mounts and face plate for the USDM controls, because the whole mechanical assembly is ever soooooo slightly larger than a standard DIN opening. This is what Orbital managed to resolve...though with slightly less than OEM materials. Until something else comes along, though, many are willing living with it...doesn't mean you have to.

Who knows, maybe you'll get that something to come along, though I think you're optimistic in your assertions.