Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Interior Motion Sensor Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Motion Sensor Necessary?

Since most alarm system comes with glass break sensor/impact sensors & door trigger, is an interior motion sensor necessary? I mean, can you break into a car without breaking the windows & or opening the doors? What you guys think, lemme know!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

What you need is not so much the additional sensor but rather a hidden battery backup siren. Alarms aren't so much a deterrent as you might think since they can be defeated simply by disconnecting the car's battery once you have access to the engine (which on most cars is accessed by the interior release).

Figure you're just trying to cover all your bases and thought I'd offer this up.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by TSiAWD666
What you need is not so much the additional sensor but rather a hidden battery backup siren. Alarms aren't so much a deterrent as you might think since they can be defeated simply by disconnecting the car's battery once you have access to the engine (which on most cars is accessed by the interior release).

Figure you're just trying to cover all your bases and thought I'd offer this up.
As of now, I'll be installing the following:

- Clifford Matrix 50.5x security system w/ remote start
- DEI security bypass module for remote start
- DEI tilt/motion detector
- DEI siren with internal backup battery
- DEI stick shift safety module
- hood pin switch
- trunk trigger

I figure the interior motion sensor is a second line of deterrence, just in case any of the exterior sensors fail.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Don't know which tilt sensor you're getting from DEI nor do I recall exactly which one I had... but the one I bought from DEI a few years ago was utter crap. It false alarmed constantly (just would spontaneously trigger an alarm sitting still) but also wasn't sensitive enough, on the most sensitive setting mounted in the middle of the car, to detect me jacking my car up enough to take a wheel off. The audio store warned me ahead of time the DEI tilt sensors were crap but I tried it anyway. They said it really couldn't be fixed and their dealer rep said the same thing. I ended up getting a refund on the unit.

Who knows maybe they're better now I wouldn't mind a nice one that actually worked.

A note on the battery backup. The one I have on my eclipse lasted just over a year then really wouldn't hold a charge. I got the same one installed on my EVO when I purchased it last year so it's still the model on the market (don't think there were any alternatives from DEI so you'd probably be getting the same one). You'll want to test it out periodically.