Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

HDD/USB Receiver?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2007, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDD/USB Receiver?

Well the stock receiver in my car is finally acting weird and I am looking to replace it with something up to date. I am looking for something high end to replace it with. I want something with the ability to play stuff off the internal HDD or Flash drive... I was looking at the Alpine iDA-X001 but it seems to be geared mostly towards ipods and I have a Sandisk mp3 player.... I used to be into car audio but now I am not... So anyone that could help me that would be great! I really want something with an internal HDD or something that can play off a Flash drive or SD card.

Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2007, 06:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may have to go double-din to get the internal HDD (not 100% sure on that). Many new receivers have USB slots...check out Crutchfield. I think you can sort by "usb".
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the alpine ida-x001 and I play off a 16gb USB thumb drive. it works pretty well too, the UI is also good.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:11 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, just remembered that there is a JVC single din head unit that has HDD and Navi.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meld
I have the alpine ida-x001 and I play off a 16gb USB thumb drive. it works pretty well too, the UI is also good.
What did you have to buy extra to get a flash drive to work with Alpine IDA? I was also looking at the Eclipse CD5100 or CD7100 as they support CD's too.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Check out the Pioneer DEH-6900UB. I posted some pics in this thread along with how I installed the hard drive that connects to the USB port on the back of the unit. Clean install and I like it alot.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=279158&page=2
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Heres a thought, I was going to go with the JVC setup with HDD and Navi but realized that it wasn't going to be "flush" with the dash as its gotta stick out about a quarter of an inch and that surely cant be too clean as the original looked so I opted for a double din which will make it flush and clean and not protrude like some single dins out there... and the DNX7100 has the usb thumb drive ready.... only thing is the Orbital double din kit might delay you...
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by ThEHiTMaN
What did you have to buy extra to get a flash drive to work with Alpine IDA? I was also looking at the Eclipse CD5100 or CD7100 as they support CD's too.
You don't have to buy anything extra.....i comes with a Ipod cable/ USB Cable...just disconnect the little 5 inch ipod adapter and connect a thumb drive...i should work with your other mp3 player too...your just not going to have the controls you would with a ipod.....
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sna08
Heres a thought, I was going to go with the JVC setup with HDD and Navi but realized that it wasn't going to be "flush" with the dash as its gotta stick out about a quarter of an inch and that surely cant be too clean as the original looked so I opted for a double din which will make it flush and clean and not protrude like some single dins out there... and the DNX7100 has the usb thumb drive ready.... only thing is the Orbital double din kit might delay you...
if you relocate the radio to the lower cubby it won't stick out or at least it doesn't look like it and the JVC does tilt so you can see it just my .02