Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Viper Alarm

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper Alarm

Alright, so for Christmas I decided to get a Viper 791 XV, and install the remote start.

If I were to get
http://www.websaledirect.com/proddetail.asp?prod=791XV
That package would there be anything else I need to buy on the side to have remote start on a manual?

Also I'm thinking about getting a battery back-up siren, would this be a good idea?

And finally a last question it says "Turbo timer and defroster activation output built-in". Would that mean I have to get a separate turbo timer?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

IMO i wouldnt do the remote start. I mean if your real careful not to leave it in first when you get out the car go for it. Im just saying that cause i saw this guy that owned an audio store around my house give his friend his keys to his fully worked integra type r (running 11s) to get something out of it. The friend went to warm the car up, remote started it, and the car just shot forward right into the side of a dumpster. I would hate to see it happen to an evo.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by prind0
Alright, so for Christmas I decided to get a Viper 791 XV, and install the remote start.

If I were to get
http://www.websaledirect.com/proddetail.asp?prod=791XV
That package would there be anything else I need to buy on the side to have remote start on a manual?

Also I'm thinking about getting a battery back-up siren, would this be a good idea?

And finally a last question it says "Turbo timer and defroster activation output built-in". Would that mean I have to get a separate turbo timer?
For an Evo, you would need a immobilizer bypass module (556U) and a second key to put in it. To bypass the clutch you either need to unplug the position switch and the pedal or use a relay to bypass it only during startup.

There is no such thing as a battery backup siren (at least not from DEI). They have battery backups and extra sirens. Those are seperate pieces. If you want to drive an additional siren, you'll need a relay to do this. The battery backup will not need an additional part(s) (except the unit itself) unless you are using the trunk trigger (ie. hooking up the trunk to the alarm). In that case you will need a diode to isolate the trunk trigger from the instant trigger output on the backup.

The turbo timer function is built in. Can be set for one, three or five minutes. You only need to hit the channel 3 and 4 buttons at the same time before turning off the car.

The defroster output is just a wire that you would need to connect to the defroster output at the switch on the HVAC panel to power the defroster during startup. You would need to turn on this feature to latched power output as the factory default for this output is for a negative trigger during start. And depending on how you have your setup done, you may or may not be able to use this because you may need the wire to drive a relay or immobilizer bypass.

As for is the backup worth it. Yes. Extra siren. Yes. My setup consists of the Clifford RSX 3.5 with all the extra goodies including three sirens, battery backup, motion sensor, etc. I didn't go that extreme on my truck. No motion sensor and just one extra siren.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilBlueEvo8
For an Evo, you would need a immobilizer bypass module (556U) and a second key to put in it. To bypass the clutch you either need to unplug the position switch and the pedal or use a relay to bypass it only during startup.

There is no such thing as a battery backup siren (at least not from DEI). They have battery backups and extra sirens. Those are seperate pieces. If you want to drive an additional siren, you'll need a relay to do this. The battery backup will not need an additional part(s) (except the unit itself) unless you are using the trunk trigger (ie. hooking up the trunk to the alarm). In that case you will need a diode to isolate the trunk trigger from the instant trigger output on the backup.

The turbo timer function is built in. Can be set for one, three or five minutes. You only need to hit the channel 3 and 4 buttons at the same time before turning off the car.

The defroster output is just a wire that you would need to connect to the defroster output at the switch on the HVAC panel to power the defroster during startup. You would need to turn on this feature to latched power output as the factory default for this output is for a negative trigger during start. And depending on how you have your setup done, you may or may not be able to use this because you may need the wire to drive a relay or immobilizer bypass.

As for is the backup worth it. Yes. Extra siren. Yes. My setup consists of the Clifford RSX 3.5 with all the extra goodies including three sirens, battery backup, motion sensor, etc. I didn't go that extreme on my truck. No motion sensor and just one extra siren.
Wrong. There is a Siren with its own dedicated battery built-in that is manufactured by DEI. I have it in my EVO along with the Siren that came with the Clifford 50.5x.

To the OP. Search "Clifford" or "Viper Alarm" on Amazon.com and pick up a 50.5x or Viper 5900 instead of that 791 vx. They are like $200 shipped. It has an advertised 1 mile range and I have tested it out to a range of 7/10 of a mile. Thats 3700 ft on a hilly straight road. I could not see my car because it was on th other side of a hill. The Viper 791vx and Clifford 3.5 rsx will not do this under normal circumstances. Increasing elevation of the remote will greatly increase the range of any unit though.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

There is also neutral safety switch manufactured by Astroflex but rebadged as a DEI 689M that goes for $60 on ebay. It requires the user to go through a neutral confirmation sequence similar to that of the Compustar manual transmission safe units out there to ensure the vehicle is in neutral before the owner can remote start the vehicle again. Now wiring this in while not interfering with the Viper/Cliffords built-in turbo timer feature will take some creativity.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Alright, so instead of the 791 VX I should go with one of the ones mentioned above, but the problem is I can't find them on Amazon anywhere, and for eBay the prices are ridiculous. I don't wanna go too far over my budget (about $300 for the parts since I know the installation is gonna be killer on pricing)

But total one of the alarm systems, the DEI 689M safety switch, and the 556 Immobilizer Bypass Module. Correct?

If anyone would be willing to find these for me online at relatively cheap prices, or just tell me if I should wait and up my budget I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 03:16 PM

get a compustar! I had Viper on my cars before and now. All of my auto has viper. I help a friend before to setup His evo with the same model you're thinking about getting. I lot more work to install and unfortunately it will ack up once in a while. specially the turbo timer feature.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

The battery backup siren from DEI that I first purchased for my Eclipse lost its ability to hold a charge after about a year. While connected to a working battery it sounded very loud, when the battery was disconnected the siren was barely audible. I complained to the store that installed it and while they did give me a discount on a replacement they said in their experience the lifespan is about somewhere between one and two years tops.

Regardless I'd have one. My Eclipse has been broken into numerous times in relatively public places, and each time the negative battery terminal was disconnected, which prevented the alarm from sounding. Can't deter crap if there's no power. After so many thefts I added the backup siren as an additional deterrent.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TSiAWD666
The battery backup siren from DEI that I first purchased for my Eclipse lost its ability to hold a charge after about a year. While connected to a working battery it sounded very loud, when the battery was disconnected the siren was barely audible. I complained to the store that installed it and while they did give me a discount on a replacement they said in their experience the lifespan is about somewhere between one and two years tops.

Regardless I'd have one. My Eclipse has been broken into numerous times in relatively public places, and each time the negative battery terminal was disconnected, which prevented the alarm from sounding. Can't deter crap if there's no power. After so many thefts I added the backup siren as an additional deterrent.
Thanks for the info about the faulty charge issue. I'll have ot try that on mine. It is over a year old now and I have not tested it since I installed it.

Real backup batteries are always a good thing.