Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Polk/MOMO MMC6500 problem

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polk/MOMO MMC6500 problem

Here is the rundown on my stereo i just installed:

Alpine CDA-9885 Headunit
Polk Momo MMC6500 components for front
Polk Momo MMC650 2-ways for rear
Both Polks being powered by a Eclipse XA4000
Eclipse XA1000 powering a Infinity Kappa Perfect 10dvq

Everything was finally installed today. I immediatly noticed that the one of the front components was not as loud as the other. so i double checked the positive and negative, the preamp connections and the settings on the amp and headunit. Next i checked the connections going into and out of the crossover. What i concluded is that the crossover is bad, i found out by trading crossovers from one side to the other. The odd thing is that it came from the factory like this, and its not just blown, it just keeps the volume at a constant no matter what the level. anyone have any problems like this or any suggestions.

On a good note, i flush-mounted the tweeters like adambl03 did here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=286896, and had someone build an enclosure with an amp rack. it should be all trimmed out this week or next, and i will post up pictures.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Can't wait for the pics!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:09 AM

Well today I called Polk, and spoke with technical support to see what they said. I explained my problem and what I did to troubleshoot. I offered the serial number from my speakers; he said he didn’t need it. Without telling me what he was doing he asked for my name and address, and then said there would be a new set at my door by the end of the week. This was by far one of the best customer services I have experienced.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Thats awesome customer service!! Hope all goes well with the new one!!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Great setup, i run the same 4channel and speakers as you do, i have the eclipse avn7000 for the headunit and no sub. +1 to polk and their customer service. I have dealt with them and their products for over 7 years now. All you need now is a good tune and your system will sound great. BTW, what RCA's did you end up running? And please tell me you ran monster twisted pair speaker wire as well.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:37 PM

Well there isn't very many choices for audio in my area. The only reputable sound shop carries JL and Alpine. But for my interconnects I ran JL Premium RCA's and their oxygen free speaker wire, 12 gauge for sub and 16 gauge for the 4-channel. Also JL power and ground wire. I have a friend who works there so i basically get everything for the same price as going to walmart.

Since you have the same 4 channel and speakers as me could you take a picture of your settings on your amp so i could get a good idea of where i can start?? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, i can take a picture of the amp settings with my crappy 2mp camera phone. Hopefully you can tell. Here is the difference though. You need to start tuning the system without the subs on, have the EQ flat and then start tuning the amp till the frequencies drop out or distort and back it off some. Remember, gain is not a volume knob. If i have time today, i'll get that picture.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 02:08 PM

I had the same setup in my first generation GST, except I ran the Polk MOMO 4 channel. I absolutely love the momo's and cant wait to swap them into my Evo.

I also just got an Eclipse 10 inch sw7000 with a kicker 750.1.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

When you decide on a sub for the future, I do recommend the Polk/Momos. Got 2 12" in their own seal 1 cu ft sealed cube.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 04:25 PM

I was very interested in the Polk SR line of subs. However, i got a great deal on my current one from a friend who bought it, never used it and needed some money...so i took it off his hands. Maybe when i get bored and want a new project sometime ill buy one and just spend the time on a box setup. For now this is fantastic compared to my factory setup.

I recieved the new crossover form Polk on thursday last week, only 4 days after speaking with them. Although i have some engine noise that I have to find. When the system is paused or between tracks i can hear a high pitched whine. Its directly related to the engine rpm's, the higher the rpm's the louder the whine. I think my problem is i have the preamps or the speaker wires too close to the power wire in the box, so it will get re-routed tonight!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How/where are your amps grounded? Where is your headunit grounded?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:09 AM

I had the same issue in my first gen eclipse, but I soon after realized that I had my speaker wires and rca's passing right by the fuse box.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:50 PM

everything is individually grounded to the chassis of the car
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ground your amps at the same spot. That's usually the problem. Make sure you sand/grind down to bare metal.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

You can also try a ground loop isolator. If that does not work and you double checked your wiring, IE: loose RCA's at the amp or head unit, speaker wires not tight on the amp of crossover, it could be the head unit preouts are shot. Pioneer is notorious for it, but never seen an alpine do it...Not to say that can't, just rare.

Quick Reply: Polk/MOMO MMC6500 problem