Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Annoying problems with Pioneer deh 7900bt head unit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying problems with Pioneer deh 7900bt head unit

For those with this head unit, anytime the radio, cd player, ipod, etc. is on and even when the radio is off, the background intermittently turns all blue and bright and then turns off and goes back to normal. It does this all the time and It is very annoying. It does not happen at specific time intervals but just happens randomly but happens all the time. Usually, the title of the song is blue and the background is black but when this happens, the title of the song goes black and the background goes all bright blue. Is this a problem with the installation wiring or is it a setting I have to fix in the head unit?

Another quirk I have is that I did not install the trim that came with the head unit because the car trim did not look like it would fit over it. Now, I have a small gap between the head unit on top, bottom, left and right to the trim. Is this normal fit or is there any way to make it perfect snug and fit?

Thanks for your help. Also be posting this on socalevo for more input.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

I also have this headunit and have noticed the same problems. How I fixed the trim ring problem was by putting some washers between the front mounting screws and screw holes. This pushed the edge of the headunit out enough to snap the trim ring on it. As far as the flashing of the background color mine also does that and I have just grown used to it. I know you can change the background so if it is bothering you that much I would suggest changing it to a background that doesn't flash.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never had this problem. I have only had the radio for a short time though, since christmas.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:21 PM

Chemwarrior. what size washers? how many? and any pics? Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'll take some pictures and post them for you.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chemwarrior
I'll take some pictures and post them for you.
Here you go:

I put three of these washers on the top two screws and one on the bottom screws.

Annoying problems with Pioneer deh 7900bt head unit-stereo-1.jpg

Annoying problems with Pioneer deh 7900bt head unit-stereo-2.jpg

Annoying problems with Pioneer deh 7900bt head unit-washer-1.jpg

Annoying problems with Pioneer deh 7900bt head unit-washer-2.jpg
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:09 PM

thanks chemwarrior!. what size are those washers? home depot?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not exactly sure what size the washers are. They were part of a large accessory kit I had. Just get some small washers and go from there.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:48 PM

chemwarrior. somone on socalevo.net told me to mess with the "display mode" and/or "reverse mode" in settings and that fixed my problem with the bright backlight display. I toggled between off and on for both and it fixed my problem. Hopefully it would work for you too. I'll be buying the washers this weekend. thanks for your help.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

I did see that setting when I was messing around with it and was wondering what it was. Now I know and knowing is half the battle. LOL. Thanks pjs4x.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 06:51 AM

Turn off reverse mode and the dark light problem will go away. My trim fit with no problem, I do have the radio in the lower(gauge spot). My only complaint with it is that it won't import the phone book from my Samsung phone.
Glen
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 76kcfdeng
Turn off reverse mode and the dark light problem will go away. My trim fit with no problem, I do have the radio in the lower(gauge spot). My only complaint with it is that it won't import the phone book from my Samsung phone.
Glen
I have the same phone problem. It is pretty annoying.

My radio is relocated so i dont really pay much attention to the radio.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:51 AM

pioneer DEH 7900

how do i set the dam clock? i looked all over the manual but it just says use the wheel to find it. i looked all over the options in the radio itself and cant find the clock/date anywhere!

any help?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:20 AM

turn the unit off, then push and hold source button and it should bring you to the setup screen and you can set the clock from there.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 03:17 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My trim fits without issue.

My main problem with the unit is that if you try to do voice dial the unit does not repeat the commands to you. IE: it would normally start by saying "please say a command" and over bluetooth earpieces this works, but the stereo is silent. It would then confirm the name after you say it. Pioneer is aware of the issue but said there will likely not be an update to the firmware. If there is I am on the mailing list for it.

Also of serious issue to me is that the display will only dim 5 contrast levels (even though it "seems" at first that you can set the levels independently), and level 0 is WAY bright for middle of nowhere driving. I usually wind up opening the face, sticking something in front of it, or just turning it off when it is really dark, otherwise my visibility is horrible.

Quick Reply: Annoying problems with Pioneer deh 7900bt head unit