Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

How, where to splice into reverse/ parking brake leads! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How, where to splice into reverse/ parking brake leads! HELP!

I am attempting to install a JVC KD-NX5000 into my Evo 9, however I am having trouble understanding the instructions.

here is a link to the instructions:
http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist...X5000&x=40&y=7

what I am having difficulty with is step B, and step D. I have already located the VSS wire in case people are wondering.

My question for step B is which wire do i splice into for the reverse light, or will any wire do?

And for step D, where is the wire I splice into for the parking brake lead?

I really need help with this.

Thank Guys!

PS. been using the search function for three days with no luck. Pictures would help greatly. If it makes more sense, I will pay someone VIA paypal for the correct advice; $25.00. This should help motivate some people, or at least I hope.

John

BTW: this is a repost from the same thread located on the "How To..." section. I put it here to up my chances of putting this in front of someone who knows what I am talking about and who can answer my questions. Sorry for the reposts, don't freak. Life does go on.

Last edited by SHIFTT IX MR; Feb 7, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

BTW: that link now works, but you have to click on the first link that comes up called "Installation".

Thank You!

John
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a clarion with the same type parking break lockotu bs. What I did was go to radioshack and get a momentary on pushbutton switch(the kind that makes connection when pressed then springs back to not connected). I ran the wire from the HU to the switch then from the other lead of the switch to a good ground.(something metal pretty much), I turn the car on, when I want to watch a video or something I tap the button twice and it works. Just take the wire and turn the radio on, put in a dvd play the video, when it says no video or audio only or whatever touch the wire to a ground like 2-3 times to see if it works. Might need to get a different type of switch. Let us know what you find!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

If I recall correctly you can get reverse out of the brown wire in the wire bundle underneath the rear seat on either side. Might have been just one side.

I'll have to check on the avic-z1 forums because I posted this info there a while ago for someone.

Of course the brown wire came from somewhere up front and there will be other places to get it, but I was in a hurry that day so I went to where I knew I could poke at wires and find it without having to run a wire beyond the interior cabin

Last edited by TSiAWD666; Feb 7, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

The parking brake lead comes out near the parking brake under the center console, but since I left this disconnected for various reasons I couldn't tell you exactly which wire. It should be obvious though if you look there next to the parking brake.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I was right, it's the brown wire in those bundles for reverse, on either side. For someone else's reference for VSS it can be found on pin 80 in the ECU harness. This is on the third harness (furthest right if the push-tabs for the harnesses are pointed up), 2nd row, third pin from the left. Alternatively I read somewhere it can be found on the OBDII wiring harness as a black with yellow or red stripe, but I've not personally verified this.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

The parking brake wire is the only wire attached to the bottom of the brake. Just remove the center console and its right there.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

usually a reverse light switch is located on the tranny in the case of many cars you can also find this wire on the BCM(Body Control Module) most of the time you will find this wire on the passenger side running down the side if you are not installing a reverse camera i would just not run this wire unless you are planing to add one on in the near future. The parking brake setup if located by taking out the rear console of your car and just locating the switch attatched to the parking brake its negative polarity(-). Now in my shop i cant install the (Cheater switch) but you just hook this wire to any kind of switch and attach it to ground.

Last edited by redboosted05; Feb 8, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Parking Brake BLUE/RED (-) PARKING BRAKE SWITCH

I also found it back behind the radio/cubby hole in one of those harnesses. It's kinda tough to get to, but it saves you from having to take out the console.

Reverse Lights BROWN (+) DRIVER KICK PANEL, HARNESS TO REAR
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
just ground the brake wire, that will take care of watching movies while u drive.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Well i think i have had enough responces to attempt this install with confidence.

I will let you all know, but please continue giving me advice, i am a novice when it comes to electrical.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Have you ever soldered before. I don't like the crimp/vampire splice blocks, but if you don't solder that is probably the best choice. Still recommend you wrap it with electrical tape as a strain relief or if any liquids are ever spilled.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

i have the same deck, there's no need to hook up reverse/brake leeds. only if you want a camera to automatically come on when engaged.

the only wires that are necessary from ecu:

speed
tach