Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

DEI Glass Breakage sensor problems?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DEI Glass Breakage sensor problems?

Like the title says I had a DEI glass breakage sensor installed with my Clifford 50.5x. They mounted the little microphone to the side of my CD Player somewhat by the gas pedal (see attached picture...red dot shows the position.) Anways the damn think clicks when I turn my radio up or my Defi gauges beep or any type of noise really gets to it. So I want to know is there a way to adjust it or maybe put it in a better place so it stays silent. So does anybody have experience with this thing?
Attached Thumbnails DEI Glass Breakage sensor problems?-interior2343.jpg  

Last edited by dbsears; Feb 27, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

What clicks? I've always found a spot behind the dash or in the vents. Definitely not outside the dash anywhere.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

The actual sensor itself seams to be clicking. If you actually stick like tape over the microphone opening it wll stop. Electronic noise or beeps seem to activate it.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

It works by picking up high frequency noise (ie glass breaking). I'm not sure about the clicking, but I've never seen one mounted in plain view.

How loud does it click? I guess loud enough for you to hear. It might be your alarm itself clicking. Where did they hide the alarm brain at?

You can test the effectiveness of your mounting location by lightly shaking your keys on your windshield and against the other windows.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Like I said its the actual microphone portion of the glass sensor. If I put a piece of tape over the microphone portion it will not do it. I want to know if the sensitivity is adjustable or should move it. Btw I dont even want to get into the alarm install from the shop....just to be short its unimpressive, makes me wish I would have went with the Compustar since I am only 50miles from their headquarters. I would take my car back to the shop but the last time I did to have them fix some things after installing my Focals they dropped a dremel on my sideskirt...nice having a brand new car with a chunk missing then them paying for a half *** place to fix it. Needless to say if something needs installed on my car I find the time to do it...because paying professionals if worthless when they do more harm than good..

Last edited by dbsears; Feb 27, 2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry about your bad luck. I agree about doing things myself. I've never heard of the mic clicking. I believe there is a sensitivity adjustment, but it's on the little black box that the mic plugs into.

I would move it and possibly adjust the sensitivity. I would do like I said above and adjust it until lightly dangling your keys against the glass on all windows will set the alarm off (make sure nuisance prevention is off). That little vent looking spot on the right side of the steering wheel would probably be a good place for it.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Alright I will try that.