Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Help with Alpine Head Unit Please?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Alpine Head Unit Please?

I still haven't gotten around to posting my stereo install pix, but I have an Alpine 9856 head unit, two Elemental Designs Nine.2X amps (two channels each), some DLS MAS6A 6.5" component speakers up front and a 10" eD sub in the trunk.

I have tried running the Alpine front-channel preamp outputs into the first eD amplifier to drive the front speakers, and running the first amplifier line-outs into the second amp, bridged, for the sub. In this configuration I set sub to "off" on the head unit.

I've also tried running the Alpine front-channel preamp outputs into the first eD amplifier for the front speakers, and using the Alpine sub-level preamp outputs into the second eD amplifier, bridged, for the sub. (In this mode I have set the Alpine to vary the sub level directly with the main volume control, although I have the option to vary the sub level separately.) In this configuration I set sub to "on" on the head unit.

I have been using the head unit's BBE feature, which is sort of a fancy loundess control that boosts midrange / vocals. I have tried BBE on settings 1, 2 and 3, with 3 being the most dramatic. 1 and 2 seem to sound great; I really like the BBE.

Anyhoo, it all sounds very good but I am having trouble getting consistent bass and volume with either of the two configurations above. It will be sounding good, then I'll be parking and I'll turn down the volume and close the windows. Suddenly the volume will seem to rise and the bass will get much stronger, even as I reduce the volume. I have Googled this issue with no success.

My theory is that the BBE is a little slow and tends to overreact as I reduce the main volume control. Also, maybe as I close the windows the bass tends to get a lot stronger from the sub as standing waves occur. All I know is, the change in sound and bass levels is quite dramatic and almost physically disorienting.

Does anyone have any theories or experience? I think I'll shut off the BBE and see if that helps in the meantime, but except for this issue I really like using BBE. Thanks for any ideas.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Chalk that one up to Alpine and their never wanting to provide a linear bass system response on th sub channels in their radios. I've always hated that about alpines. Even with sub control enabled, and with the sub volume on 1, the bass was still wicked boomy at low volume levels. The only way I got around it was remote gain control on the amp or an eq or some sort of processing on the sub output.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoTec
Chalk that one up to Alpine and their never wanting to provide a linear bass system response on th sub channels in their radios. I've always hated that about alpines. Even with sub control enabled, and with the sub volume on 1, the bass was still wicked boomy at low volume levels. The only way I got around it was remote gain control on the amp or an eq or some sort of processing on the sub output.

+1
i have an alpine deck and this will be my last alpine I ever buy for any of my cars
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Wow; thanks. I had no idea Alpine had that rep. Now I'm running the system with the sub set to "off" and the main outputs feeding both the sub amp and the main speakers. Seems better.