Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

HVAC controller stopped working

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC controller stopped working

So I'm fairly new to the evo, and things that were as simple as a fuse in my old car don't appear to be quite as simple on the Evo. First a little background:

The car is race prepped, lots of unnessecary wires have been removed, and the car no longer has air conditioning. All systems appeared to be working properly after the car was put back together. Its an Evo VIII chassis with all IX parts re-installed, including IX wiring harnesses, engine, trans, etc. Both cars were under 15,000 miles.

I was at a hillclimb a few weeks ago and on the first couple of runs I turned the vents on to position 3 with the vents in defrost mode. The fan turned on and moved air on the runs. On my last run practice day, the fan shut off somewhere on the way up the hill, and I've been unable to get it working again. If I hit the AC button or the rear defrost button, lights come on on the HVAC panel, but turning the knob for airflow settings doesn't yield any results.

I did some searching about HVAC and fuse issues, but the only real issue I came up with (loose plug for one side of the wiring harness) doesn't seem to fit the bill here, as everyone also mentioned that the clock and cigarette lighter would also stop working, and both of those still have power.

I checked the fuse box in the engine bay and the one by drivers left leg and didn't find any blown fuses. Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

Any help appreciated...its hot in the car in June when you've got no vents, can't roll your windows down, and have to wear a fire suit.

Thanks,

Dave
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

cool suit....

j/k the fan is all electrical and not mechanical so u should be able to trace your way to the problem. get a voltage tester and go wild. sounds vag but thats your best bet.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Oops...forgot to update that I'd found the problem. The two wires that ground under the right side of the steering wheel (near the OBD2 plugs) wasn't grounded correctly. I ground off some paint from this spot and everythings working properly now.

Dave