Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

1000 rms

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1000 rms

..im recent bought 2 rockford p3 at 500rms each at 2 ohms for a total of 1000 rms and a 2 channel amp capable of 1400rms at 2 ohms...i have everything wired up correctly and use a hi lo converter to tap into the rear speakers...the sub just doesn't sound like 1000 rms...with window close...it sounds ok...with the trunk open...the bass is not even worth mentioning..barely feel anything... when i stand outside with music full blast...i barely feel any bass coming from it..all i hear is trunk rattle...its pretty disappointing...im not sure what went wrong.... the only thing i can think of is that i have SSL with stock amp and stock headunit...people told me i need a new headunit to make it sound right... can anyone fill me in...
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

The Biggest down fall to this set up is the Highlow converter.

If you have an Ipod or mp3 player, Go to radio shack for 5$ and get a headphone male to L/R Rca and hook it directly to the amplifier. This will give you a much better idea as to what kind of out put to expect from this set up.

If it is significantly more output then you know where your weak points are, hilow converter or the factory output on the deck.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

How are you wiring the subs/amp? If you have 2ohm speakers, then if you wire them in parallel your amp is seeing 1 ohm load. WHen you say you have a 2 channel amp, is that 1400 watts bridged mono or what? If it is bridged 1400 watts at 2 ohms, and you are hooking up 1 ohm load, then something is not right. If you just wired them stereo chances are they are not getting enough power.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the wiring like Dan628 said... You need to wire it in a series so youre over the 2ohm.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/...2-ohm_mono.jpg

With this diagram you'll be hearing some boom, just not getting the full 1000rms from the amp. You'll actually be getting half that...

If you can return the subs and get two 2ohm dvc then you'll be able to run them at 2ohm and get the full power from the amp.

Cheers!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

So with a two 2 ohm speakers you have the ability to wire this set up as a 1ohm load or a 4 ohm load. A 4ohm load will net you only 700 watts of out put from the amp split between 2 speakers.

The 1ohm load wire set up will net you 2800 watts, if your amp can take it, but probably not.

Time to get another amp, or different subs to extract the best from your system.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wire the woofers you have in series = positive of 1st woofer to negative of 2nd woofer. Connect negative of 1st woofer to negative of amp and positive of 2nd woofer to positive of amp. That will get you a 4 ohm speaker load, which when you bridge your amp it will get you the 2 ohm load that you need. How do you have the woofers facing in your trunk? What kinda amp is it (brand/model)?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

the subs are dvc 4 ohms and i wired them up in parellel for 2 ohm load to amp... the amplifier is from Diesel audio... i am not sure if its rated 1400rms bridged mono..all it saids is 700 Watts x 2 Channels @ 2 Ohms..i already lost the manual to it and it doesn't give much more information about it on its website.... i have the subs wired at 2ohm to each channel on the amp
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

i also have a box built for inverted mount subs... i had the subs mounted the traditional way at first and it sounded ok... the i reverse mount the subs and it sounds somewhat better due to extra area in the box...
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to take a guess and say you're actually getting 350w rms x2 @ 2 ohms. You have the woofers wired correctly. That way is actually better than bridging the amp. I doubt the woofers sound better due to the extra space, just because it's such a small difference, but rather the fact that you effectively reversed the phase of them, assuming you wired them the same as before. If you don't like them inverted, you can put them back the way they were, and reverse the positive and negative connections and I'll bet they'll sound the way they do now.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

i tried reversing the phase of the sub between the 2 type of mounting and it sounded no different... what i notice today was that when i turn the volume pass 23 on the stock headunit...the sub bass actually diminishes..doesn't get any louder... i think it could be in the hi lo converter itself...i remember most hi lo converter are only good for certain wattage... maybe its time for a new headunit
Old Aug 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Im telling ya.. Try that Ipod hook up first!!

Becuase the car is not infront of me there is little more to say, the suggestions here are correct to see if things are wired right.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Does the amp have a speaker level input? How big is your enclosure? While using an LOC on a factory HU is never ideal, it's very possible. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get the kinda bass you want with this. Is there a level control/gain on the LOC? What about gains on your amplifier? Do your woofers physically move like they're actually getting the power they should be getting? Are your woofers facing the back of the car, or the front? Sorry for all the questions, but they may help.

Last edited by biggie5252; Aug 14, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIGuy
Im telling ya.. Try that Ipod hook up first!!

Becuase the car is not infront of me there is little more to say, the suggestions here are correct to see if things are wired right.

i actually tried that with another setup on my other car...its not very ideal because if i hook ipod via earphone jack straight to amp..the ipod does not output enough voltage to the amp to show capablity of the subs... i looked into this setup before..the only way for it to work is to incorporate some kind of voltage amplifier between the ipod and the amp... im not sure how u have it but this does not work as far as i know...

i have the sub invert mounted as far as right now..the box is ported and its facing toward the rear of the car...i i sat in the new eclipse with the 600w rockford system..probably the same one as in evo x...my sub sounds somewhere close to that setup...its not very satisfying as far as my taste goes..
Old Aug 15, 2008, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

i think my amp is drawing too much current from my stock alternator...this is probably why my interior light still dims even with cap and sub performance diminishes at higher volume... man...i really regret upgrading to such a big system now...should've stick with one p3 and a smaller amp and box.... i probably need to upgrade my alternator for my setup...
Old Aug 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

What battery are you using? How big are the fuses on the amp? Where did you ground the amplifier and how big is your power/ground wiring? Granted, the evo alternator is small, but it's not much smaller, if any, than most cars. If your dropping voltage so much that you hear a difference, I'd look at your connections, or into replacing your battery first. I've had well over 1000wrms running on a similar sized alternator and a Optima yellow top and it did it just fine. The headlights hardly dimmed.

Last edited by biggie5252; Aug 15, 2008 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 1000 rms