Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

the easiest solution to relocate you climate control for 2din display

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anybody who has relocated the hvac to the bottom have any problems with their temprature control being hard to turn... I am asking because I am in the process of relocating my HVAC to the bottom cubby but having some issues with the knob. thanks guys!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by P3CC054N
has anybody who has relocated the hvac to the bottom have any problems with their temprature control being hard to turn... I am asking because I am in the process of relocating my HVAC to the bottom cubby but having some issues with the knob. thanks guys!
Check your cables. I didnt have any problems after I moved mine. When putting the head unit in some of the harness got in the way of the HVAC controls and just had to move it and then had no problems.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:15 AM

wow.. f Me... this must be the longest mod ever for me and my friend...
Just finished .. and the navi is not centered , and there's gap around it.. i wish i knew this ahead of time as well... will post picture later... too tired now.. 5 hrs..
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oxyigen
wow.. f Me... this must be the longest mod ever for me and my friend...
Just finished .. and the navi is not centered , and there's gap around it.. i wish i knew this ahead of time as well... will post picture later... too tired now.. 5 hrs..
which navi did you go with? some units are smaller and you might have to drill some extra holes around it to center it correctly. thats what i did with my pioneer f series unit and it looks pretty good to me
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:02 AM

Mine took over 12 hours. But I used bondo and filler putty. Im a really bad perfectionist and I will probably redo it cause it sill doesnt look good. Im still waiting on the dash piece from japanparts and then I should be complete. I used the Kenwood 5120 or something like that. The new kenwood nav/dvd and it looks centered.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by uwshprod
Check your cables. I didnt have any problems after I moved mine. When putting the head unit in some of the harness got in the way of the HVAC controls and just had to move it and then had no problems.
Thanks uwshprod, I will check it out and let you guys know what I find out.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the ideas and pics guys. I was looking for something like this. Now all I need to do is track down a friend of mine to help since he specializes in customizing pieces and stuff like this for audio equipment. This will work.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:46 PM

Given the choice again, i would just spend the money to get the oribtal kit or something...

cutting the hvac face plate was the worse... gotta shave off the extra on the side, and cut off excessive plastic in the back .. getting that two hvac line with the clip outta their housing was the *****es,, so hard to take it off, and the left hvac cable need to be re-routed to be long enough..

I positioned my navi's transponder in the dead center of the front window vent, there was a clear route from the middle hole back to the center console, which is very neat ;D

I have the F series too, but i just don't like the spacing around it.. isn't there a kit for us to us to take out the spacing ?

second, I used my stock radio mount, is that wat everyon used ?

I noticed with the JDM radio piece, it is good, but sunlight would get in the way ...
did you guys mounted slightly tilted ?

also, yea , i think i've cut my hvac faceplate the cleanest ;D
thx
Attached Thumbnails the easiest solution to relocate you climate control for 2din display-img_0237.jpg   the easiest solution to relocate you climate control for 2din display-img_0243.jpg   the easiest solution to relocate you climate control for 2din display-img_0239.jpg   the easiest solution to relocate you climate control for 2din display-img_0244.jpg  

Last edited by oxyigen; Dec 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Given the choice again, i would just spend the money to get the oribtal kit or something...

cutting the hvac face plate was the worse... gotta shave off the extra on the side, and cut off excessive plastic in the back .. getting that two hvac line with the clip outta their housing was the *****es,, so hard to take it off, and the left hvac cable need to be re-routed to be long enough..

I positioned my navi's transponder in the dead center of the front window vent, there was a clear route from the middle hole back to the center console, which is very neat ;D

I have the F series too, but i just don't like the spacing around it.. isn't there a kit for us to us to take out the spacing ?

I noticed with the JDM radio piece, it is good, but sunlight would get in the way ...

thx
yours came out very well, as for using stock brackets. no i couldnt find mind at the time so i made some costum brackets.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:32 PM

yea, the only thing i want to take care of now is the spacing issue around my navi..

for my headunit before, they always came with a bracket, how come our navi didn't come with one? or anyone got info where to get a bracket for it ?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thx
your edges look much cleaner. I am still hesitant to do this. Is there any sort of single din trim ring that we can get to finish the edges more?

Perhaps the thinnest one in this kit:

Last edited by unsungboxer; Jan 1, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 08:17 AM

i know wat you ar saying, but nope, I don't think you would have enough space...
the way that I cut it is fine, because it is down there, i don't notice it that often, as long as there is no major screwup, u should be fine.. also.. black marker helps 2 ;D
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:02 PM

I finally got my trim piece installed and it looks a whole lot better than I thought it was going to. The gap is a bit annoying, but only really noticeable on the bottom. However, because of lighting, the bottom gap is harder to see anyway:

Here are the pics of how mine turned out. The HVAC relocation looks little strange because the trim I have is from a regular Lancer, so I painted it with the closest-match plastic spray paint I could find.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1302678364
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:12 PM

thx
I was leary of cutting down the HVAC panel too, but I have an extra one, so that made the decision easier. The belt sander really came in handy for fine-trimming it and keeping edges straight.

Yes, I used the stock mounting brackets - they worked just fine for me - even with having to drill new holes to lower the radio for the trim piece.

That's a good idea about tilting... I didn't try it. I think you'd have to tip it quite a bit to avoid the sun glare and then it would look funny not being even with the trim. Best answer there might be to get one of single-DIN units with motorized screen so you can adjust the angle.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 01:13 AM

wow. you ddin't get the JDM piece right ? well at least that doesn't look like an JDM piece, but that thing pretty much flush with the navi, hardly any gap at all.. good job !

Quick Reply: the easiest solution to relocate you climate control for 2din display