Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Defi control unit problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defi control unit problem

Okay when I turn on the ingition the control unit lights up, as well as my gauges but what bothers me is the light goes off after 5 seconds. My friends control unit stays lit, is there anyone that knows what the problem could be??Also everything works fine, the control unit just does not stay lit.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:53 AM

same issue

I am having the same issue with my control unit, and I have to keep resetting my warnings every time I get in the car or the alarm will sound due to oil pressure being lower than original gauge value
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

tap it to a constant power source.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:34 PM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may be the case that the Defi Control box requires constant power to maintain its memory? If that's the case, you can't have it wired to switched 12v power, it needs to be wired to constant 12v power. The way I like to do that is open up the fusebox and stick tester into each blank slot until you find one that has power even when the car is off. Then take a fuse (choose a decent one that will match the current draw of the gauges) and then solder a wire to the other end of the fuse. Then plug the fuse into the blank spot and thread the wire to the the controller box.

I hope that helps, its just my best guess!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:30 AM

I finally had time to rewire the gauges and found a new constant power source for the red wire and wired the illumination (white) wire up with the ignition power wire to an ignition switched power source. The control unit stays lit and the gauges don't have to be reset every time I shut the car off. The issue was that the gauges were wired up through the wiring harness of the old stock gauges so after the car was started the gauges would shut off and turn back on so I just rewired them through the stereo harness and now it works good.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Yea that wasnt going to work , the defi's require a better 12v source. glad you got it figured out, those things become real pain the *** quick!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

my don't reset but I can't get my control unit to stay on. I guess I'ma have to try this and see how it works.