Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Can someone suggest an amp?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
before you buy the speakers, put an amp on them! here's why: most amps (4 channel) have built in crossovers. Your 6.5 door speakers are now playing @20 to 20K hz through them...a single speaker is not made to do that. With an amp added, you could cross over the front and rear speakers at 200hz, with a 12db per octave slope- have the sub cut off @ 100hz, and you will be gold. If you run your speakers off the deck, they will distort no matter how nice they are, guaranteed. btw, I have a Phoenix Gold XS2500 2 channel amp id sell you for your sub budget. (this would be a *****en choice)pm me if your interested, I can send you some pics!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I would prefer to do the door speakers without using an amp for a couple reasons...I dont want to try and wire it and install it all lol, saving for either a green or the new tomei turbo and can live without the audio..

Heres what I'm thinking:
-Components upfront: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1199494646675 (those same alpine's at 80w rms)
-Coax in the rear: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1199494646605 (same as the front, only these are the coax version)

My question is with them being 80w rms max, and my HU only putting out 50w rms...is that going to make a difference or effect it at all, like only make it run at 80% efficiency or something? would it be better to get speakers closer to my HU's output?

And how much difference over the stock speakers will I notice by just simply replacing them with new speakers?

thanks for putting up with the million questions, im reading in the mean time but not seeming to find the exact answers im looking for either..
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:23 AM

i don't think you'll get a ton more performance over stock without the amp but you should still notice a difference in clarity. if you don't ask you can't find out anything
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an SSL and right now I'm running the stock Infinitys for highs and mids with a Rockford Amp. They sound good enough to where I haven't bothered to think about changing them for a while and would rather foucs my attention elsewhere. The high pass filters in both my HU and my amp make it so no bass is getting to my stock speakers which makes them sound even better like Matthew333 was saying. All my bass goes to my 12" RF woofer. I've never been a big fan of running highs and mids off of a deck.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:01 AM

you won't get what you're looking for running the speakers of the headunit. they say 50x4 but you actually get like 18-22x4. also to the above poster you have better factory speakers than the 9's do.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

why does it say 50x4 if in actuality it is so low? would it be better to go with lower power speakers then?

I may just say f*** it and just hook the sub up and be done with it...or maybe look for some used ssl speakers for cheap until I have everything else in order and come back to sound system? too many options!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:40 PM

car audio can be just as costly as performance parts if you get in really deep.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

ebay can be your best friend...speakers on there along with amps are very cheap just be sure you dont buy refurbs. Also if you do decide to amp your speakers you can cut into the car's factory wiring harness behind the headunit rather than wiring the speakers directly to the amp itself...
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jb103080
also to the above poster you have better factory speakers than the 9's do.
Maybe some, but there are IX SSL's to.

Originally Posted by t mac
why does it say 50x4 if in actuality it is so low? would it be better to go with lower power speakers then?
Well it goes back to what I was saying earlier about cheap amps. You have peak ratings and RMS which stands for root mean square. RMS is what an amp can put out without breaking sweat, it can cruise along and put out this wattage. Peak is just as it sounds, if conditions are perfect and the amp hasn't been worked too hard and gotten too hot or has been playing too long, it might can produce those peak watts for a split second. Cheap amps and decks typically show their peak watts as their ratings. More expensive amps are generally underrated even when showing their RMS rating.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Egay Alpine PDX-1.1000 FTW!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:02 AM
Account Disabled

I have been into car audio since the late 80's. I can strongly suggest the JL Audio amps. They are well worth the money.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:54 AM

TIME OUT....For a funny story!

Hi! I just became a part of this forum here and I would love to be a part of it. I love contributing to the community.I can probably add some humour to start with. Here are some funny stories that I read somewhere.A patient comes to a Dentist with a tooth pain.Dentist : Two of you teeth are infected and we need to extract them.Patient: How much will it cost?Dentist: Seven hundred and fifty dollars for both.Patient: What? Seven hundred and fifty dollars for 10 minutes of work?Dentist: Well, if you like, I can pull them out slowly! Here is another one:Husband and wife have just left their home for camping. Wife: We should turn the car back! I forgot to turn off the gas stove and it might burn our appartment! Husband: It's okay, the apartment will not burn, I forgot to turn off the shower.The last one:A trial is in progress in the court room.Lawyer: Your Honour, if a person has 18 criminal records he is not a criminal. Judge: Then who is he? Lawyer: He is a Collector.Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed it.