Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Looking for kick ass components for the front

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for kick *** components for the front

Well I dunno what it is about the EVO, but my god it seems like whatever speakers I put in there sound like poo. Speakers I've had in other cars even that sound amazing, put them in the EVO and no good.

My current set up is a old school Kicker Resolution R6 components. Doors are deadened with 2 layers of Second Skin Spectrum, and a layer or Rattle Pad between the door and the door panel. Speakers are amped off an Alpine amp 75 watts rms per side. Alpine IVA-D310 head unit, 4 awg wire and so on.

The freaking doors vibrate like crazy, I've never felt doors that vibrated like that of the EVO.... EVER. Lows are very lacking.

Does anyone here have some components that are amped and deliver all around great sound? If so what do you have? Did you do anything different, more or less with the speaker installation in the doors? Seems to me like the problem is the flimsy doors on the EVO and not my speakers.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree that it's the car and not the equipment. First of all, most sound deadening materials do nothing about solving panel to frame rattle. You need to deal with that first. Second, do you have tweeters mounted in the factory locations?

I've ran several competition level systems in several different vehicles and never had problems like I've had in this car.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from an audio perspective, the evo is like driving a pepsi can. def not audio friendly like say an Audi with the B&O system option. im running Niche Audio components in the doors with tweets in factory spot. bcuz my 6.5"s didn't fit (stock speakers are euro-din 7") & none of my spacers worked, so i fabbed spacers out of 3/4" MDF as my mounting depth for my 6.5s was 3/4" deeper than the stock & my windows wouldn't roll down!!! i also stuck alomost entire sheets of dynamat xtreme on the inside. im running 200watts RMS to those components with a Sony MX2200 GTX amp. they seem to match well to my Alpine Type-X 12". i don't use any rear deck speakers
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biggie5252
I would agree that it's the car and not the equipment. First of all, most sound deadening materials do nothing about solving panel to frame rattle. You need to deal with that first. Second, do you have tweeters mounted in the factory locations?

I've ran several competition level systems in several different vehicles and never had problems like I've had in this car.
Yes I ran the 3/4" silk tweeters in the factory spot. Guessing I should not, maybe BI pole them over the top of the woofer?

Any suggestions for the panel to frame vibrations on the door?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No. The factory spot is fine. Better than inside the doors. Try reversing the phase of the tweeters and see if that helps any. It will usually help some when the tweeters are mounted that far away from the woofers.

Go get some type of foam, cut it up into little pieces and glue them to either the door panel or frame so that it keeps the door panel from making contact.

Other than that, you're going to need some sort of an eq to make them sound better. I've pretty much given up on any kind of decent sounding system in the Evo. Too much effort, weight, and money to make it sound like I want it.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

I have the alpine type r's. They are loud as hell and relatively inexpensive through ebay
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:34 PM

i have focals in front wit a cross over and dynomat kit for the doors, a infinitis for the back, than i have a 10 inch kicker solobaric wit a custom box and a 350 watt amp and it sounds amazing. couldnt be happier wit the set up.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have Boston Acoustic Pro Series 6.5 components, and got new a-pillar trims without any cut outs and mounted the tweeters there...I love the separation and staging that these speaker provide. Yes they doors do rattle a bit when turned up, which a good sound deadener should cure.

Last edited by Drift4; Apr 15, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Focal K2P's with proper setup is a perfect setup in my opinion....now if Paradigm made a car audio speaker on par with their Studio series home speakers I"d be in hog heaven...haha!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SCEvol8
Focal K2P's with proper setup is a perfect setup in my opinion....now if Paradigm made a car audio speaker on par with their Studio series home speakers I"d be in hog heaven...haha!
I've heard the K2P's in a buddys car before, they're ridiculous. Only speaker i'll ever buy.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by radicalmarkSRT
I've heard the K2P's in a buddys car before, they're ridiculous. Only speaker i'll ever buy.
I agree....I've wanted them ever since I first heard them about 5 years ago. Bought the Evo and took the plunge on all the stereo stuff I wanted and couldn't be happier.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:56 PM

FAPTurbo - The First Automated Forex Trading Robot

Hey guys!Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!There has been a lot of hype around the Forex Autopilot Turbo, also know as FAPTurbo program.At first I was a bit skeptical, but after trying it out, it seems quite profitable. It's a robot that will do trading automatically for you. I tried it on a demo forex account first and then moved to the live accountand haven't looked back since.Message me for screenshots if you want!Their official site is:http://www.FAPTurboLive.netRegardsMartin Pessener
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

I'm rocking Polk Momo's 6.5's. They rock. 3/4" mdf to space them out, tweeters in stock location. Running new wire was a *****. I would suggest doing either pre made baffles or dynamat/brownbag behind your components woofers.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

I'm running Rockford Fosgate T162S everything is in the stock locations. I had to make a 1/2" spacer for the mids to clear the window. they were cheaper then alot of others I looked at but the sound really good. I'm pushing them with a 100w x 2 amp and I also have a infinty perfect 12 dvc sub and I think this is a really nice sounding not to expensive setup.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:58 PM

I'm currently running Hertz Mille MLK front separates and they do sound phenomenal for the price you pay.

Quick Reply: Looking for kick ass components for the front