Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD

I just bought the Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD and hopefully will have it by next week. I also bought the Garmin nuvi 880 and i will use that for bluetooth rather than the dvd.. Well actually maybe not. I bet the dvd player will lower the volume for you when u get a call. But i think u have to by an accessorie for it. ? Mine will be 6.2". Im concerned about fitment.

Anyone else notice (at least in an 04 gsr) that there is no ground wire coming from the dash harness?! I noticed my head unit still works without a ground wire but my guess is it is grounding through the rcas to the amp wich is a no no.

Anyone have experience with the DVD player im buying (Pioneer AVH-P5000DVD)?
I bought it becasue it has 4v preouts and USB capability. I want to be able to display jpgs, and play mpgs that i get off the internet. Anyone know if thats going to be possible?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

I am familiar with the 5500dvd, so can't comment on the USB playback of .avi and .mpg. Ground it to the chassis and you're all set. To comment about there is no ground wire in yours, if the RCA's were grounded, you would get hella noise through them. So no, that's not your ground point. It's your antenna OR the brackets to the side of the radio that is making a ground.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

interesting. Ok so check this out.
Noise crappy noise. But when i run a wire which is connected from the chassis to the ground portion of any of the RCA's, the noise is completely gone. Weird huh? I think i have a floating ground inside my headunit for the RCAs. Which means, where the outside part of the RCA;s connects (ground) there must be some reistance between that point and where it reaches the normal signal ground. Something is ****ed up i think. Grounding the RCAs straight to the chassis is fine but letting them ground through their normal connection cuases noise. Any electrical engineers care to chime in?

Also i only need to ground one channel of the RCAs, nott both. Also grounding from the chassis to the head unit frame doesnt do any good..
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, there is a problem with internal circuitry of the head unit. In most cases grounding the RCA's will produce noise, in your case it doesn't. Easy fix, ground out one of the RCA's. I've only had to do that maybe 5% of my thousands of installs.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Forgot to mention, Pioneer is notorious for their RCA's to be poorly grounded.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

i had an old mtx amp that did something similar. I opened it up and the rcas had a cold solder joint from the rca cables being plugged in so many times, the rcas connection to the pc board finally came out of the solder. I took out my soldering iron, and only had to touch the solder to melt it all togerther again. Didnt have to throw it out after that.