Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Remote Start..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start..

I understand the concept that on most Manual cars you push in the clutch to start it.. But how would a remote start operate to start the car since your not there to push in the clutch?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:07 PM

I'm not positive, but depending on the car, the clutch pedal acts as a bridge for an electrical current. So all you would have to do is use a wire or something to connect the contacts. But again, I'm not positive.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
In some states it illegal for a shop to instal a remote start in a manual car.

This is why:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/of...-work-lol.html
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

i have a remote start on me evo aand i have to say i love it... if you look behind your clutch theres a button and when the clutch is pressed in the button is pushed so the car nos that someone is pushing it in and to allow the motor to start... but when u get a remote start they just unplug that sensor and bypass it so it always thinks its pressed, so no more pushing the clutch to start it... butttttt that also means you have to make sure you don leave your car in gear... it does have a safety feature though, the E-brae has to be up for it to work
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Compustar alarm/autostart system. Had it for a couple of years now and the autostart is great during winters. One of the few systems that is compatible with manual cars. The autostart will not work unless you set it up by putting it in neutral and pulling the e-brake. Kind of a safety feature.
You can read about their systems on their site.
http://www.compustar.com/products/2W900FMR.htm

Last edited by rsboy; Apr 30, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

All remotes starts will work on MT cars. Just a matter of what safety features you install. Neutral safety switch, hood pin shut down, etc.
Old May 2, 2009, 09:23 AM
wum

doesn't seem like a good idea to leave the car parked in neutral, but to each his own.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:48 AM

Yep, any reputable shop in VA won't do it..... not sure if it's an actual law here or not though. I'd consider it though just so I can point it out the window and allow the car to warm up before I head home from work instead of sitting in the car for a minute or two!
Old May 4, 2009, 02:35 PM

you bypass the clutch to start it,i have auto start on all my manual cars,no big deal,jus dont leave it in gear!
Old May 13, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

The only reason I could ever see you needing to keep the car parked in gear is when your parked on a steep incline. So if your parked on a level, or even a slightly inclined/declined surface the e-brake is more than enough to hold the car in place..

I can't wait to get mine installed for the Chicago winters..
Old May 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
It is illegal in alot of places because of the danger involved. I got to watch my brother's focus crash into the side of a bestbuy because he was having it worked on, and when they parked it they put it in gear. He assumed it was left in neutral and tried to remote start it. Needless to say its just one more thing to worry about. If you are goint to do it make sure to install the remote start kill switch and turn off the remote start if its gonna sit for a while or if someone else is going to be using it.
Old May 24, 2009, 02:32 AM

If you were using a TT on your car, wouldn't it mean that you'd always leave your car in neutral before getting out?

So your car would always be ready for a remote start provided you used a TT to turn it off?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:33 PM

clifford makes a remote start that works with turbo timers...basically there's a sequence of events that enable you to lock your door with your engine still running so the remote start knows that the transmission is in neutral. if the alarm goes off, then the remote start deactivates as an added security feature.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just got mine installed yesterday i really like it keep the a/c on high when i turn off the car and its cool by the time i get in it (florida heat kills)
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

ok first off, a remote start in a manual tranny is NOT ILLEGAL. I installed them for a living for over 10 years, secondly, if it is a truelly manual safe system (such as a compustar) it is 10000% impossible to activate the remote starter with it in gear. I will agree that UNEDUCATED insurance companies will give you **** for having one in a standard tranny, but they are absolutely legal.. There is no legal issue whatsoever. As for safety if an uneducated installer or consumer gets it in their hands, thats another story

Quick Reply: Remote Start..