Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Problem with Head Unit install, No display but all sound?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with Head Unit install, No display but all sound?

Just recently installed a Kenwood Excelon CD player in my 06 IX. I got everything from crutchfield including the adapter harness. I power up the cd player and it has no display, yet I can search fm, am etc, and hear the music. I am noticing the little buttons on the bottom faintly flickering, and only the rings around the two round knobs are lit up. I am starting to think I should have left the dimmer wire, and possibly the power antenna wire (my car doesnt have one) disconnected? Could that be causing the problem? I noticed that on the harness adapter where there would be the power antenna wire, it connects to that yellow wire that goes along the antenna plug. Could someone help me out here? Do I have a bad stereo or did I connect one too many wires?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would start by disconnecting the dimmer wire. If that doesn't help, you probably have a bad unit. Did you try taking off the face and putting it back on to see if it just wasn't on quite right?

Do you have SSL? Can you elaborate what you mean with the yellow wire along the antenna plug? The only yellow wire that I'm aware of is your power wire.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which kenwood unit is it? There is a dimmer feature on the head unit, you hold it to turn the display off, press it once to dim, etc. Check the manual, it explains the feature.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by biggie5252
I would start by disconnecting the dimmer wire. If that doesn't help, you probably have a bad unit. Did you try taking off the face and putting it back on to see if it just wasn't on quite right?

Do you have SSL? Can you elaborate what you mean with the yellow wire along the antenna plug? The only yellow wire that I'm aware of is your power wire.
There is a yellow wire off the factory harness with a separate white connector on it and it is held together with the antenna cable with a loop of tape? and looks like it routes behind the dash alongside the antenna. On the adapter harness, this shows that this would be for the power antenna. But of course, I don't have one. So I wondered what this was for.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I fixed the problem by pushing the tiny button on the front using a pen cap. I am assuming its a reset button. Guess I should have read the instructions. Not sure why it acted like it did though at first.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah the little button is reset. I'm not sure what that yellow wire is for. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist in my car (hence the ssl question), but my car came with an aftermarket cd player. Ill dig around my dash and see if I can find it and figure out what its for.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by I4UnderPressure
I fixed the problem by pushing the tiny button on the front using a pen cap. I am assuming its a reset button. Guess I should have read the instructions. Not sure why it acted like it did though at first.
For whatever reason, I am going to stand by my original post, something pushed the dimmer button and set the panel to black or off.

Originally Posted by biggie5252
Yeah the little button is reset. I'm not sure what that yellow wire is for. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist in my car (hence the ssl question), but my car came with an aftermarket cd player. Ill dig around my dash and see if I can find it and figure out what its for.
No need to dig around,the yellow wire off the factory harness is power antenna.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRCole
No need to dig around,the yellow wire off the factory harness is power antenna.
What power antenna?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

The same harnass is prob used for other Mitsu models. And a Galant or Endeavor might have a power antenna.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by srcevo8
The same harnass is prob used for other Mitsu models. And a Galant or Endeavor might have a power antenna.
Yup and is also used for amp turn on for factory infinity sound systems
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRCole
Yup and is also used for amp turn on for factory infinity sound systems
That would explain why I don't have that wire, as I don't have a factory amp.