Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Quick speaker question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2009 | 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Quick speaker question

I have a pioneer P710bt headunit in my car, Im wanting to replace at the least the front door speakers with something better than stock. I am not willing to put an amp on them because of the additional weight. Does anyone have a solid recommendation for a clear set of speakers with some decent midbass. Thank you. If I must amp to get anywhere near decent sound I need an amp that can support front components and a single 10 inch sub. If I can get decent sound without an amp all i need is front coaxials. Thank you.
Old Nov 27, 2009 | 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

All depends on how much money you are looking to spend. And everyones perception of what sounds good is different. Personally, I prefer Boston Acoustic and they're not too pricey.
Old Nov 28, 2009 | 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IXmr321
All depends on how much money you are looking to spend. And everyones perception of what sounds good is different. Personally, I prefer Boston Acoustic and they're not too pricey.
Im really looking for something with midbass and clear vocals. Less than $500 for the speakers. I guess I need an amp too. Hmm I'll take reccomendations for 6.5inch components an amp that can power then as well as a single 10 inch Ill run the rear deck lid speakers off the hu and just have them for ****ty fill.
Old Nov 30, 2009 | 06:12 PM

Subscribed - interested in the same thing
Old Dec 18, 2009 | 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

bump?
Old Dec 18, 2009 | 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Best I can recommend is to go to a local audio place and listen to some speakers to get a sense of what they sound. I'd also check Crutchfield.com and check out some reviews on the.

For the amp in your situation, I would run a small 4 channel amp, 2 channels to provide power to the front speakers and bridge the remaining two channels to run a sub.
Old Dec 18, 2009 | 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NWEvoViii
Best I can recommend is to go to a local audio place and listen to some speakers to get a sense of what they sound. I'd also check Crutchfield.com and check out some reviews on the.

For the amp in your situation, I would run a small 4 channel amp, 2 channels to provide power to the front speakers and bridge the remaining two channels to run a sub.
I appreciate your response, thank you!
Old Dec 18, 2009 | 06:44 PM

my bud owns stereo shop and only thing he put in my evo and eclipse is memphis audio speakers,they sound great for decent price. check em out
Old Dec 18, 2009 | 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

im sure everyone will argue their side.

I just installed these

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...51.html?tp=105

In my front and these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB65...1s.html?tp=105

in the rear. They are running stock amp at the moment.. and the sound is AMAZING...
Old Dec 19, 2009 | 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xRoguex
im sure everyone will argue their side.

I just installed these

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...51.html?tp=105

In my front and these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB65...1s.html?tp=105

in the rear. They are running stock amp at the moment.. and the sound is AMAZING...
i liked my mmc I however was using a jl 450w/4 slash series amp. I don't know how I feel about components run off of HU power. Even though they do list 15w rms starting. Also isn't the stock front speaker size 6.5"? I was thinking about running polk db series unamped, any opinions?
Old Dec 19, 2009 | 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

I like the Polk speakers they have. I almost went with the Polk signature references before when I could get a great accommodation price on them.

I personally wouldn't run components off stock HU power, Even though they list 15 watts RMS as a base, your stock radio at most probably puts out about 15 watts rms. That 15 watt RMS is for when the volume is low, when you want louder music and turn up the radio, you will be under powering the speaker, causing distortion which will eventually lead to your speakers blowing. So I recommend running components along with an amplifier.

I've put in many sets of the Polk db series speakers in peoples cars, but they have an aftermarket radio which has a bit more power than the stock radio and they do sound good, but will sound much better amplified.

I believe people say our evo's stock speaker size are like 6.75"? I got my 6.5" MB Quartz to fit in there though.
Old Dec 19, 2009 | 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

I like the Polk speakers they have. I almost went with the Polk signature references before when I could get a great accommodation price on them.

I personally wouldn't run components off stock HU power, Even though they list 15 watts RMS as a base, your stock radio at most probably puts out about 15 watts rms. That 15 watt RMS is for when the volume is low, when you want louder music and turn up the radio, you will be under powering the speaker, causing distortion which will eventually lead to your speakers blowing. So I recommend running components along with an amplifier.

I've put in many sets of the Polk db series speakers in peoples cars, but they have an aftermarket radio which has a bit more power than the stock radio and they do sound good, but will sound much better amplified.

I believe people say our evo's stock speaker size are like 6.75"? I got my 6.5" MB Quartz to fit in there though.
im not on stock hu.. That said I wouldn't run components without an amp. So the dbs sounded alright? They're cheap too!!!
Old Dec 19, 2009 | 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

My bad, you mentioned you're running the Pioneer p710bt. Those usually put out about 20-22 watts RMS.

I find the Polk DB series to be a great speaker for the price
Old Dec 19, 2009 | 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

My bad, you mentioned you're running the Pioneer p710bt. Those usually put out about 20-22 watts RMS.

I find the Polk DB series to be a great speaker for the price
Thank you!