Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

*need some radio install help*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*need some radio install help*

its just my luck doing something as easy as installing a radio turns into a slight headache. anyways i have an 05 RS that i bought with an aftermarket radio installed in it. i bought an OEM radio from a member on here hoping to just swap the radios out. my knowledge of radios and installs kinda stink and i found out quickly it isnt just an easy swap. the connector that is plugged into the aftermarket radio is way smaller and wont plug into the OEM radio. is there an adapter i could buy at best buy thatll plug into the smaller plug and have the larger end on it to plug into the OEM radio? also i dont have the radio slot thingy that holds the radio and screws into the dash, as pictured below. anyone have an extra one lying around i could buy?? thanks for any help fellas

Old Dec 17, 2009, 02:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like the last owner cut the factory harness and soldered the existing wires onto a provided aftermarket head unit harness. I don't know of any "aftermarket to stock" harness's that are sold. Your best bet is to pull the harness you see in the head unit space out a little, and see if the last owner used an adapter harness for his head unit install. If this is so you can just plug it out and reconnect the stock wiring harness to the stock head unit you bought, but by the way it sounds, you may need to cut the aftermarket harness out " if it is indeed soldered onto factory wiring" and re-solder the factory harness, wire by wire, onto the stock wires coming out of the head unit space. See if you can get your hands on a stock evo radio wiring harness.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Someone chime in if I'm out of line, but I thought the RS model didn't come with any audio package. If this is the case, I wonder how much of the 'stock/oem' wiring is installed from the factory. This is something you would have to ask either a mitsu tech or have someone look at their own RS. If I had my manual handy I would look it up, but I don't think there was even factory wiring for audio installed on the RS.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah as Pal215 said, It sounds like your stock plug has been cut. So what you'll need to do to plug in your stock radio back in is get this harness.

http://www.12vtoolbox.com/METRA_71_7...%2071-7001.htm

Part number Metra 70-7001

You can get an audio shop to reconnect that plug for probably around 20-30 bucks if you're uncomfortable with doing the job.

Usually if the car does not come with audio equipment installed, the plugs will still be there, just unused.

Last edited by NWEvoViii; Dec 18, 2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

yea i looked at the harness today and it was cut. thanks for the link NWevo! also can i just order the slot part that holds the radio in from mitsu?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

The brackets like the ones you have highlighted in your picture, you can buy those from the dealership for 10-20 bucks for both pieces.

No problem
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:09 PM

U can just cut and solder it together but if u want it to be quick and clean try to find one at junk and re solder oem