Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Viper 5901 Install advice Evo 8 MR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Viper 5901 Install advice Evo 8 MR

I just had this alarm installed by a guy. I have 2005 evo 8 MR

Everything works except the following:

The car remote starts in gear, in the manual it says it should not do this and I asked the installer he said he has to connect one wire to make it only start in neutral but not in gear. However, he doesn't know which wire it is? Is this correct and anyone know which wire it is so I can have this safety feature???

Also the rear defogger function is not active. Installer stated that he used up all the slots for the functions one was for clutch one was for something else? So I can't use the defogger function? ( i feel like this is kinda bs) I want to know if this makes any sense or is he just BSin b/c he doesn't know what to do with it??

If any one knows about the viper 5901 please please help me so I can get this straightened out. I paid 900 for the whole thing with smartstart I want every function to work properly if possible.

Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you can have it not start even when it's in gear because there are no electrical connections anywhere in the shift linkage like there is in an automatic. Mine starts even if it's in gear as well. I have the Viper 791XV, I'll have to check which wire is connected to the rear defroster circuit.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea all of the functions should work, he just must not know how to hook it up. but the car WILL start in gear. like bobster said in a manual trans theres no signal given showing the vehcile is in gear. you just have to learn to not park the car in gear, if you forget you will have a mess!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

U can wire it so that it only starts with the ebrake up.
Otherwise you have to install like a magnetic switch on the shifter assembly that will ground out while only being in neutral. DEI makes a pieces ive heard for this however I have never seen it. As for the defrost I think it has its own output if im not mistaken it has to be wired to a relay then tied into the defroster.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

From the diagram I have..The 5 pin "RS in" harness has a 2nd "remote start status"output (-200mA output) It has to be programmed to function the defogger...meaning it needs to trip a relay. It's a blue/white wire on the viper module.
Also, the same 5 pin harness shows a black/white neutral safety (-) input. For automatics, you connect this to ground, but in manuals, you connect this to a wire that shows ground when the e-brake handle is pulled up. If you pull your armrest assembly out, you'll see a small plug for the e-brake. Meter each wire for ground when the e-brake is pulled up and attach to that wire. (I think it's a blue/red wire for ground) It can still possibly start in gear, but it's a safety so the car won't roll or go through your garage door.
Hopefully...this helps out. I don't know what you connect to for the rear defogger..or how to "program" the viper module..I'll check back to see if I can help further..
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

The viper 5901 has a manual transmission mode that requires you perform a sequence in order to activate the remote starter function. Seems to me like the "installer" didn't know what he was doing... Hopefully he didn't permanently bypass your clutch too. It's also in automatic transmission mode.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

I have remote start on my Clifford Matrix alarm and basically I just never park my car with it in gear. My turbo timer pretty much ensures that I never leave it in gear.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your ebrake is up or not, that car is moving thru whatever is in front of it.... ask my first VIII how i know this.

My last IX i had the compustar setup which like posted before ... you are forced to go thru a sequence before you exit the car as well as if your door is opened for any reason before the remote start sequence is initiated, it cancels the remote start availability until the sequence is redone.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

compustar is much easier as far as manual transmission is concerned. i have installed both in my manual transmission vehicles but I would only use the Compustar since the setup actually forces you to leave the car in neutral, the car remains running and once you exit and shut the door, the car shuts off.

As far as the defog goes, a relay does have to be setup and the unit has to be programmed as Psquared stated.

G/L
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mymigi
compustar is much easier as far as manual transmission is concerned. i have installed both in my manual transmission vehicles but I would only use the Compustar since the setup actually forces you to leave the car in neutral, the car remains running and once you exit and shut the door, the car shuts off.

As far as the defog goes, a relay does have to be setup and the unit has to be programmed as Psquared stated.

G/L
You are also forced to leave the vehicle in neutral with the viper 5901 when the unit is configured for manual transmission mode. The only difference is DEI has a much better track record for product reliability.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

than compustar ? you must smoke crack as well.... DEI owns about what, 6 different alarm companies ? None as well known for reliability as compustar. None with the range compustar alarms have. Its the reason why you have people that say i use to have a python alarm but it sucked, so i upgraded to viper..... which is the same alarm company, same product, different box, same problem
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
than compustar ? you must smoke crack as well.... DEI owns about what, 6 different alarm companies ? None as well known for reliability as compustar. None with the range compustar alarms have. Its the reason why you have people that say i use to have a python alarm but it sucked, so i upgraded to viper..... which is the same alarm company, same product, different box, same problem
Lets try this without flinging insults. MECP AIT while in school. BSEE. I rip these units apart and repair them as a hobby when an individual who claims to be an "installer" botches an install. Out of the hundreds of DEI r/s alarms I've installed, only one had a manufacturers defect and that was a faulty 1-way XR antenna. Haven't had a problem with anything else unless the 2-way fob was dropped repeatedly. "Your" results for "your" location may differ but I trust Directed because I don't have a problem with them. Unfortunately I can not say the same for Compustar, Ultra-start, and the other second rate product out there. The great majority of user functionality issues are the direct result of a poor install. I'm sure you already know that though. But I have seen my fair share of defective Compustar and Ultra-start product.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed with part A...

As for the rest, compustar has a great track record as well from my experience... I've seen quite a bit more issues with DEI, but i have always attributed that to the fact that they are used a lot more. Everyone knows Viper.

I will also have to agree with the fact that most of the issues are with installers saying stuff like i've installed 100's of those, and in reality, this is their first time and they are making phone calls to their buddies in different places asking things like are relays really necessary ?