Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Best mod I've done to my RS in a long-long time.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Best mod I've done to my RS in a long-long time.

Well, I'm freaking impressed.

I got an idea from my neighbor to install just an amp in my RS and run an i-pod/phone/laptop/MP3 player, whatever, though it for music.

The more I thought about the more I liked the idea. I did just a little research, prematurely jumped the gun and ordered up some stuff.

As most of you are aware, I've got an RS. The RS comes pre-wired for a radio and speakers but it doesn't have a radio or speakers in it.

I added speakers to the rear and doors a few years ago and have been through a few stereo's NONE of which impressed me. I got to thinking back to an old Camaro I had with some odd ball stereo in it and this big amp that was in it and how good it sounded. Actually, any stereo I've ever heard that sounded good had some type of amp in it.

My RS has been running the stock Mitsubishi radio/cd player in it for over a year, it's useless. It doesn't go loud enough to hear, as the car is pretty loud, when you do get it loud enough it's just distorted.

Here is what I ordered to do this "system" to my car:

From Crutchfield I got a harness, PT#120707001, $12.99.
From Ebay I bought a Pyle Hydra Amp, PT#PLMRMP3A.

The amp is a marine amp, 4 channel , 800W peak power. It's small, I can't believe the power vs. weight and the sound. The amp only measures 6"x3"x1.3".

I took the factory radio out. I wired the harness I bought to the wiring on the amp. I then put the amp into the old radio hole and simply zip tied it up inside and ran one wire to a ground, I used the factory stereo screw that mounted it in the hole.

The amp comes with a remote volume knob you can mount, I didn't use it. It also comes with a port you drill a hole for, push the port through, it flush mounts and is the plug to plug in your music source, I pod/MP3, whatever. I put that in the back of the little lower storage compartment.

There is a gain on the amp, so I plugged my MP3 playing into it and turned the key on for power. HOLY **** did it sound good. I then turned the MP3 up as loud as it would go and adjusted the gain so I got the maximum sound without it being distorted.

I'm horrible at these types of things. I don't have an hour invested in doing the entire job and I truly cannot believe the quality of the sound.

I will now be able to drive my car and enjoy some real tunes.

The other nice part for me, I was able to re-install the radio delete plate where the radio went, just like the car came now.

As a side note, this is going to be nice for watching movies and such, any laptop/Ipad/Ipod or whatever has the same output (headphones) and all can be ran through the amp.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds pretty cool! What speakers did you end up putting in the doors and deck?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know to be honest, we did the speakers in the car years ago. I did just put my laptop in the car with a DVD in it, sounds kick ***.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Cool stuff Dave.

If you had to guess, how much weight did it all add. Probably no more than 5 pounds for the speakers and amp?

When you did the power going to the amp, did you use the factory stereo power, or did you run a line directly up to the battery?

-mark
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Speakers I have no idea on weight. The amp is lighter than the factory radio and sounds ten times better. I am so happy with it I ordered another amp kit that includes four speakers for the street rod I am building.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:54 PM

Yeah man, no one believes me that this is a lot better then going straight to adding a sub. A lot of people want to add a couple 12s and such; I try to explain it to them. The clearity in sound, and the overall impact of improvement a 4channel makes it's awesome.
If anyone else wants to do this, check out my FS thread.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:58 PM
Account Disabled

pretty good idea never thought about that
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad it turned out! Have done several ipod based stereos on harleys, trikes, and ATVs
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:42 AM

just ordered the same amp
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to rewire/mount mine differently, so if anyone wants to do this I have this complete wired unit I just made, $75 plus shipping. Take your radio out, plug this in and plug in you mp3 or whatever. Just call the shop, I am using the exact same parts again but am going to change how I installed it.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Would something like this be beneficial for the SSL model? Seems like a cheap way to get an auxiliary output. What do you think? Is there another, cheaper way, to add an auxiliary output to the factory SSL deck?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:01 AM

like the idea
Old Sep 2, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

I changed how I had the amp mounted and wired today. The only thing I didn't like was anytime the key was on the amp had power going to it. This sucks for downloading datalogs, too many things on at a time drains on the battery. So I installed a switch next to the input for the MP3 port so I can turn it on and off. It's 100% done and I put the stock apillar covers back in the car, I had installed the apillars with the speaker grilles in them at one time and put the stock ones back in without them. Now it looks like an RS again.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Any pics on how this looks complete? Sounds like a great DIY mod!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

It looks like nothing, haha. There is absolutely nothing visible.

Quick Reply: Best mod I've done to my RS in a long-long time.