Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Which stereo/head unit??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mcm308
You should seriously consider Eclipse. They probably have the best sound capabilities with a CD. I"ll never own another brand again.
eclipse, alpine or my current nakamichi are the only 3 brands i would buy.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently purchased a head unit for my EVO.

I am the type of person who does a lot of research before buying anything. Even a bar of soap.

After a few weeks of looking around I decided to get the KDC-X794.

I LOVE it. Best deck for the money out there!

You really can't beat the value.

The display options are awesome, and controls/functions are super user-friendly.

If you have SSL make sure to get the harness to convert RCA to Infinity plug.

I got mine for $150 shipped NEW on eBay. The harness was an extra $20.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
I just recently purchased a head unit for my EVO.

I am the type of person who does a lot of research before buying anything. Even a bar of soap.

After a few weeks of looking around I decided to get the KDC-X794.

I LOVE it. Best deck for the money out there!

You really can't beat the value.

The display options are awesome, and controls/functions are super user-friendly.

If you have SSL make sure to get the harness to convert RCA to Infinity plug.

I got mine for $150 shipped NEW on eBay. The harness was an extra $20.
Thanks for the review and the confirmation! You and I must be twins Yesterday I did exactly what you just said. Bought the KDC-X794 off of E-Bay brand new w/ 2 year warranty for $150 shipped. After researching, it definitely appears to be the best bang for the buck. I saw a couple videos about the iPod controls and I love the fact that they tried to make them just like the controls on the iPod itself. Looks like it'll make things a lot more user friendly. The only thing that I wasn't sure on was the sound qaulity, but only because I haven't listened to a lot of Kenwoods personally. I've always heard good things about them though. How do you like the sound qaulity?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ian0611
Thanks for the review and the confirmation! You and I must be twins Yesterday I did exactly what you just said. Bought the KDC-X794 off of E-Bay brand new w/ 2 year warranty for $150 shipped. After researching, it definitely appears to be the best bang for the buck. I saw a couple videos about the iPod controls and I love the fact that they tried to make them just like the controls on the iPod itself. Looks like it'll make things a lot more user friendly. The only thing that I wasn't sure on was the sound qaulity, but only because I haven't listened to a lot of Kenwoods personally. I've always heard good things about them though. How do you like the sound qaulity?
Lol, that's awesome!

I have only owned 5 aftermarket head units, but this beats my Alpines and Pioneers for sure.
It's not really a fair comparison though because they were in different vehicles, haha.

It was sure an upgrade over the OEM.

You can't be dissapointed, unless you are an OCD audiophile.

And when you get it, I suggest not going with the DIN mounting route.

The OEM stereo brackets will screw into the new unit. But the deck will sit too far back to fit the Kenwood trim piece on.
So you have to modify the brackets to get the stereo to fit right.

Use a Dremel, and lengthen the holes in the bracket. This will allow the stereo to slide forward and fit flush with the dash, allowing you to use the trim piece to hide the gap, and look flush.

This way the stereo is VERY secure in the dash, and removal of the HVAC bezel will not require the stereo to come out with it.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, that's awesome!

I have only owned 5 aftermarket head units, but this beats my Alpines and Pioneers for sure.
It's not really a fair comparison though because they were in different vehicles, haha.

It was sure an upgrade over the OEM.

You can't be dissapointed, unless you are an OCD audiophile.

And when you get it, I suggest not going with the DIN mounting route.

The OEM stereo brackets will screw into the new unit. But the deck will sit too far back to fit the Kenwood trim piece on.
So you have to modify the brackets to get the stereo to fit right.

Use a Dremel, and lengthen the holes in the bracket. This will allow the stereo to slide forward and fit flush with the dash, allowing you to use the trim piece to hide the gap, and look flush.

This way the stereo is VERY secure in the dash, and removal of the HVAC bezel will not require the stereo to come out with it.

Thanks for the tip!

for both Alpine and Pioneer. Obviously you know why I dislike Alpine and I never really cared for the sound quality in Pioneers. Previous to this Alpine (which came with the car) I owned two Panasonics (in two other cars) that I absolutely loved! Sound quality was outstanding in both! One had a 7 band EQ and the other a 9 band EQ and the Panasonic Day/Night faceplates look AWESOME at night! For some reason I don't think they're making car stereos anymore though. Everything I found online looked like older models and I would have had to buy a $70 cable to use the iPod controls. I figured for the price I'd go ahead and give the Kenwood a shot.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Do you like it?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Do you like it?
So far I like it a lot! For the price it's an excellent unit!! Sound quality isn't quite as good as my Panasonics but that could be because of the acoustics in the Evo and it sounds just as good if not better than the Alpine. The iPod controls are really nice and I like that it uses a standard USB connection so that I can hook up other devices besides the iPod.